Can we implement a "Missing T.B." page on Website?

Foxgloves

Is there any way we can have a page on the website to post missing T.B.'s

Kinda like on the milk cartons...know what I mean? icon_frown.gif

it could be a page listing any T.B.s that have not been seen for 2 months or so and that are technically missing..

Maybe someone just FORGOT to log them in icon_rolleyes.gif or someone didn't know they were supposed to log them in icon_redface.gif

Also maybe it could be linked to the page where you log in a T.B. Maybe you could have another option in T.B. Log called "didn't find it where it is supposed to be"

Just a thought...

"You most certainly can! ....get there from here...."

~Foxgloves~

I think it a good idea, too. I just finished searching for a bug that I could bring with me an a roadtrip I have in a couple days. 3/3 caches that listed travelers came up short of any actually in the cache. There should at least be a way to list them as missing in order to remove them from the last cache they were in.

Thats good! Now can we alphabetize the bugs to make the search easier and can we link Travel Bug Graveyard to travel bug page so people have a way to look up T.B.'s if they are suspicious that they may be MIA?

~Foxgloves~

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Don't forget that popping them into the graveyard adds mileage, as the graveyard is actually located somewhere.

The bug might get a mileage boost, but it doesn't show up on its map.

I ressurected Take Me Out to the Ball Game awhile ago and yes, he's gotten a mileage boost, but if you click on the map link, you'll see that the map only includes the caches he's been in before and after his time in the graveyard. The graveyard doesn't show up on the map.

So, in essense, if a bug is "buried" and then brought back to life, at least the map won't reflect its stay at the graveyard.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

I'm not so concerned about T.B. miles as I am that people be able to find "missing" T.B.'s that they put alot of their imagination into..

Its seems a shame that they have to disappear and are never heard from again....

I will be hurt if one of my T.B's just disappears out of thin air...I can see them going into the graveyard if they are intentionally being taken out of circulation but if they just disappeared with no trace?

~Foxgloves~

quote:
Originally posted by foxgloves:

...can we alphabetize the bugs to make the search easier and can we link Travel Bug Graveyard to travel bug page so people have a way to look up T.B.'s if they are suspicious that they may be MIA?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but you either have a travel bug or you don't. If you have it, it's not missing; just log it. If you don't have it and its location is unknown, how is having a list of lost bugs going to help anyone find it? icon_confused.gif

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by Scouterkevin & Family:

...How can we remove the bug's info from the cache page to avoid dissapointment for cachers?

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Email the TB's owner. He (or anyone who knows the serial number) can "remove" it from the cache.

That is the ideals solution, but sometimes bug owners are unresponsive, and as a cache owner, I have no recourse to get the bug off my page.

<Markwell gets on soapbox again.>

I personally think it might be a nice enhancement if the cache owner could (after some verification process or a length of time) select a bug that is listed as being in their cache and "zap" it off the cache page and into the hands of the bug owner. The bug page would get an automatically generated note:

quote:
"Cache Owner Markwell has verified that the bug "Lassie" is not in the cache "Impossible Intrigue". He has returned it to the hands of bugs owner Mopar to prevent it from being listed in the cache incorrectly. If you find this bug in the wild, please grab it from the owner."
OK, I feel better now. I'll wait another 3 months before suggesting it again.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

<Markwell gets on soapbox again._>

I personally think it might be a nice enhancement if the cache owner could (after some verification process or a length of time) select a bug that is listed as being in their cache and "zap" it off the cache page and into the hands of the bug owner. The bug page would get an automatically generated note:

quote:
"Cache Owner Markwell has verified that the bug "Lassie" is not in the cache "Impossible Intrigue". He has returned it to the hands of bugs owner Mopar to prevent it from being listed in the cache incorrectly. If you find this bug in the wild, please grab it from the owner."

I like this. A specific time period would be needed to prevent abuses of cache owners who get a little too over zealous when someone hasn't logged a bug in a couple of days, but I understand completely. There's a bug listed as being in my bug hotel, but it hasn't been there for a couple of months. I'm continually getting notes about the bug not being there, but there's not much I can do except email the owner of the bug and kindly ask him to remove it.

The only thing this doesn't address is the owner who might, out of spite or whatever, place the bug back in the cache just to tick you off. I'm sure that would be a very small minority of people, but in anything in life, you run into all sorts of people. icon_eek.gif

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

I just had another idea (that's 2 today!) slightly different than Foxglove's that could help when the TB owner is unresponsive:

Start a topic in this forum listing travel bugs that are known to be missing from the caches they are listed in.

If such a topic is started, I propose the following mandatory steps in order to prevent abuse:

Before listing a bug as missing, you must

Post a note on the cache page verifying the TB is missing.Email the TB's owner requesting he "remove" it from the cache.

If, after at least 1 (2?) week, the TB has not been "removed" from the cache page, it may be listed on the forum topic. Anyone knowing the serial number could then "move" the TB to the Travel Bug Graveyard cache. I've kept a record of all the TBs I've found thus far, including their serial number. I suspect I'm not the only one.

So, what do you think?

Worldtraveler

I had this idea today after I read that Jeremy has stated that changing the code to the TB pages is a low priority. Why not has a new option on the chache page where if the page says that there is currently a bug in the cache, when one logs a cache find they can state 1) yes, the bug was there, 2) no, the bug was not there, or 3) I didn't look to see if a bug was there. After 3, 4, or 5 "no's", then a new icon would replace the travelbug icon for the cache page; some like a no smoking sign, but with a TB icon in the picture instead of a cigarette.

That way, when someone visits the cache page, the bug will show up, but as missing in action. Hopefully, this solution would be able to fit in with Jeremy's priority of working on the cache pages currently, and a better solution can come up when he has the time to work on the code for the TB pages.

-stroh

Just had another thought. I have visited this site pretty thoroughly and I haven't seen a printable instruction sheet to be included in new caches. I would recommend that all new caches (except micro-caches) have a picture of tavel bug placed in the instructions and have it taped to the top of the lid to the cache. Of course, this would require some help by the creators of new caches, but if a link to this instruction sheet was placed prominently on the front page to alert people to its existence it may help.

Just a thought.

-stroh