What Would You Ask Garmin

BlueDeuce

Could we please get the favorite waypoint option back for the etrex?

I would also like to see the return of the feature where you could hit the menu button once and get a list of options like 'find waypoints' and 'favorite waypoints' rather than having to repeatedly hit the page button to circle around to the Find screen.

Do you foresee running out of non-negative integers for Nuvi model numbers before you run out of gratuitously different variations of the same product?

Hey, I can answer that : not in the forseeable future. But I agree totally with your sentiments. And also to Garmin : stop removing useful features present in older Nuvis in newer "improved" models.

My questions for Garmin:

Why don't you add Wherigo support in the 62s; why was the Colorado discontinued; what is up with your new opencaching web site; did you really think the Nuviphone would be anything but a debacle; why not an iphone app; did you take Jeremy's "Noodle Nodes" idea and turn it into Chirps?

I've seen this issue many times , people tend to get frustrated, because Garmin is not LISTENING.

2 years ago I said on this site, Garmin might get broke if they don't change attitude, well the problems are still the same, if not, even worse.

New model coming they leave out possibilities of older models and in a year of updates you wil have a good working gps, by then your model might be discontinued and they launch new models, again missing possibilitie.

We have had Alpha updates making the gps to crash, we had map updates making the gps to crash, we had models not working at all and yet we remained faithful to Garmin, because they make a nice gps and being honest Garmin replaced faulty models, your 'helpdesk' is still a mess, Email answers still seem generated by computer and normally don't solve the problem.

Now again we have new models that are faulty and please explain me why you need 400 + models if you can't solve the problems on the most popular models.

By now we have smartphones with separated Gps inside, this gps works >if you want< with a network and above all, the Gps/Nav/Cache programs on the smartphone are lightyears ahead of Garmin.

So Garmin, maybe NOW you will listen, if it's not to late.

I would thank them for all the different kinds of GPS units they put on the market. They are the only one who even gives a darn about the low-end GPSr market.

The reason why Garmin is #1 by a mile is their products work. And because they are #1, they will always have a share of distractors.

I would thank them for all the different kinds of GPS units they put on the market. They are the only one who even gives a darn about the low-end GPSr market.

The reason why Garmin is #1 by a mile is their products work. And because they are #1, they will always have a share of distractors.

They're #1 because the flooded the market with a gazillion nuvi's each with a feature set chosen at random from a hat.

How about a top of the line nuvi that does everything? Nope. Lets fill up the shelves with countless variations.

Well, not quite a gazillion -- closer to about 50. You certainly CAN have "a top of the line nuvi tat does everything" -- it's $999. But the reason there are so many variations and feature combinations is because not everybody needs everything all in the same box; not everybody wants to pay for features they won't use.

So yeah, there are 50 models ranging from $119 (nuvi 205) to $999 (zumo 665). If you hit their product page it's pretty straightforward to figure out what features are available at what price points.

Edited by lee_rimar
The reason why Garmin is #1 by a mile is their products work.

The reason why Garmin is #1 is because their products work better than the competition. Their products work - most of the time. Getting the last 5% perfect takes a lot more work, but that is what gets you customer loyalty.

Oh sorry. I was pulling my batteries out of my Garmin gps because it keeps locking up. <_<

My question for Garmin?

When can we expect navigation software for the iPhone, and will I be able to add custom POIs to that offering (unlike TomTom, Navigon)

??? Looks like it isn't even necessary to JB an iPhone to get TomTom working with custom POIs now. Roll on down a couple of pages to the post on 11-03-2010, 10:21 AM, and the link to the video in the post on 11-13-2010, 02:25 PM where even the POI audio warnings are working.

http://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-iphone-...ilbreaking.html

The reason why Garmin is #1 by a mile is their products work.

The reason why Garmin is #1 is because their products work better than the competition. Their products work - most of the time. Getting the last 5% perfect takes a lot more work, but that is what gets you customer loyalty.

Oh sorry. I was pulling my batteries out of my Garmin gps because it keeps locking up. <_<

I know, I'm with you there. It really sucks to be that 5%.

My question for Garmin?

When can we expect navigation software for the iPhone, and will I be able to add custom POIs to that offering (unlike TomTom, Navigon)

??? Looks like it isn't even necessary to JB an iPhone to get TomTom working with custom POIs now. Roll on down a couple of pages to the post on 11-03-2010, 10:21 AM, and the link to the video in the post on 11-13-2010, 02:25 PM where even the POI audio warnings are working.

http://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-iphone-...ilbreaking.html

Yeah ripping apart the 1.4GB app file, injecting data, and repackaging it was not what I had in mind. Guess I should rephrase that - I want POI support that an average iPhone user can utilize. The above TomTom method means your POIs get blown away every time there's an app update, and it's a lot more complex than just sending the file to the app via iTunes.

Yeah ripping apart the 1.4GB app file, injecting data, and repackaging it was not what I had in mind.

While it would require reloading the added info for a new app update, all that appears to be necessary is to add the requisite *.ov2 (and *.ogg, if you want them) files to the application before loading it to the iPhone. Granted, that's not as easy as just sliding those same files over to the map folder on a stand-alone TomTom PND, but at least it's possible now without jailbreaking or other arcane arts. Not clear why the more recent code isn't doing a payload checksum or whatever on the application, but one takes gifts when Apple offers them, even by accident.

Yeah ripping apart the 1.4GB app file, injecting data, and repackaging it was not what I had in mind.

While it would require reloading the added info for a new app update, all that appears to be necessary is to add the requisite *.ov2 (and *.ogg, if you want them) files to the application before loading it to the iPhone. Granted, that's not as easy as just sliding those same files over to the map folder on a stand-alone TomTom PND, but at least it's possible now without jailbreaking or other arcane arts. Not clear why the more recent code isn't doing a payload checksum or whatever on the application, but one takes gifts when Apple offers them, even by accident.

Full disclosure here about ulterior motives ..... part of why I would want "official" POI support is so I can batch export caches / waymarks from GSAK to a POI file and dump those on my iPhone. As I'd do that about once a week, injecting data and reinstalling the app is kinda painful for my workflow. Dragging files into iTunes (Device / App / Sync Files) is painful too, but not nearly as painful as the app reinstall.

One suggestion I would make to Garmin, since I wonder if this was why my 1st NuVI 1300 crashed with a recent update, I also have a HUGE custom waypoint file which occupies a good chunk of the internal flash drive when I allow it to 'save to internal memory' from the miniSD card.

Add this as a option in the next firmware update:

When the NuVI notices a new custom waypoint file on the miniSD card, ask, BUT if told NO, to set a flag in a file, that 'NO, You do-not want to load the file, and the unit should not ask every time the device is powered-up.', but to make note of the file size, date, and that "Yes Or No' flag. this way, if the date of the file changes, to THEN ask if you want to load it to internal memory. (and, again, if told NO, not to keep asking.)

The 1300's internal memory is limited as is.. I tried extracting all of the unnecessary files (extra vehicles, extra language (text & voice) files, packing them into a 7-Zip file, and on the miniSD card, OFF the device, but even then, you're limited. Since the device handles miniSD cards >2GB, it makes more sense to strictly use it as additional storage. I also keep a IMG file from Topo-2008, and another USA map (IBYCUS 2.0) on the miniSD. But, every time I fire the unit up, it wants to always load the custom Waypoint file. and this file could grow to >2GB!

Stephen (gelfling6)