The "Where in Canada" Map Quiz!

Happy Paddlers

Have to review a bit more, but to me... it looks more like Sable Island when zoomed in a long way... sand dunes etc. but no grass.

perhaps the area of that Cave Expedition in Alberta... or...

The "nope" was for the duplicate question. He did find the cache.

Sable Island was #86. :)

I think I comprehend... I got that he found it... just was suggesting things that looked alike or similar...

Anyway the current dfx offering is GCGWD7 Bullwinkle... had a few minutes to play this morning...

Doug 7rxc going away to think about where I can hide one.

No problemo... this one might be for some...

Always was interested in interesting places... and the unusual... and the visually stimulating.

nuoffer0406.png

This one should meet all three criteria.

and last a while, I hope... maybe not.

Doug 7rxc

Probably people have been finding real caches! But I might have to think about something by way of a hint, the image is showing a fairly large spot, and to be honest enlarging it a bit only will show more of the same stuff.

Something verbal will likely be offered... meanwhile I'll wait for people to finish the weekend logging..

Doug 7rxc

Hi all... looks like I'll be going 'down' again... same problem with room mate... so I'll be infrequent for a while.

So just in case... GZ is in a distinct 17 KM box, you can see it with scale at 300 km in GE... hope you get it..

I'll try to check in from time to time... don't know when this will drop again... later today or tomorrow. My problem for sure.

RCA777 try to get me that email if you can... ready, but you'll have to be under the wire.

Doug 7rxc

Got some more time online... Notice I said Google Earth... it doesn't look the same in the Beta for some reason. I should check the old maps...

I'll add that the pic represents about 0.9km on the diagonal corner to corner... fairly big spot.

Wondering if anyone is trying this one? I'm never sure when I can get on these days... but I'm trying.

Doug 7rxc

Good... I was wondering if the group had all gone REAL caching... while I watch the snow fall... still.

Terrible to live in a really nice place with not many caches... and nil that I haven't found. There are more of course, but the ones that are listed as with in 10 miles are hundreds of kilometers away by road, still closed for winter... plus no working car... nearest new cache (last fall)unfound is about 60 km. Good and bad news, I'm going to move it seems, that's the good news somehow... bad part is SO FAR there isn't anywhere to move to, or means to do it... but I'm working hard on that. I keep having to mooch computer connect time too!

Fun...

Doug 7rxc

Well, the one known hunter says another hint might help... so..

First, make sure you saw hint in post 463 and 464, since it doesn't look the same on other maps... GE is the one to use to start.

Now... it's a good place to go when you are planning a really long journey...

That should do it until 2012.

I'll keep showing up when I can...

Doug 7rxc

I've been looking at 17-km boxes all over the country with no luck...

Of course you do have to look at the right one... ignore the black and white ones and ones of a different colour.

The square is more or less what you see in the colour image posted.

And it is mostly square, not rectangular or a long strip... I used the GE ruler to check when I first posted that.

add that there are two clues in my last post, not one.. in addition to the back references.

Doug 7rxc

Wondering if anyone is trying this one?

I've been looking for this one as well. I looked for it briefly when it first came out - without success. Today I found myself at my car dealership for an estimated 1 hour repair that turned into 3 hours. So I took advantage of their hotspot for a renewed search with the more recent clues. Once again I came up empty :(

I will look at it again after the weekend if it has not yet been located.

Sorry about delay... I've become connected again for now (a while)... I guess this was harder than intended, but no more than some other offerings lately I think...

Anyway it's been a week so here is something to think about...

The phrase "way up there" has several interpretations in regard to this site, literally and figuratively.

Same goes for some of the other hints... they can have several meanings.

That snow pattern is widespread, think of it as camo pattern and that should help.

Hope this helps... I didn't want to spoil a hunt for those that are trying... but time passes.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

GCPXKK - End of the World

This was actually one of the first areas I searched, but I missed the cache somehow. Finally your first set of hints clicked - the 2012 hint especially. Neat area, years ago while doing my Masters in Geography, one of my colleagues was lucky enough to travel to Devon Island for research.

Hopefully I will find another cache to post later today...

Edited by rtyrie

Finally, I can stop holding my breath! Congratulations.

Well, I'll wait to see what you come up with, but I fear many are heading out for some real world caching... here we're getting some strong flurries again, but the trend is toward melting away, it's just enough to be annoying, but not skiing... won't be long.

Trouble is that winter will be right behind it again... and I LIKE WINTER, but prefer 4 real seasons over bi seasonal places.

Doug 7rxc

Wow. I thought that the more remote the cache is, the easier it would be to find in this game. Out there, all by itself, unique, a stand out. Did you think it would be that tough Doug?

Having said that, everything should be easier going forward, as I'm sure that we've got a mental image of what the rest of the country (below the Arctic Circle) looks like, having scoured it over and over for the last few weeks.

Wow. I thought that the more remote the cache is, the easier it would be to find in this game. Out there, all by itself, unique, a stand out. Did you think it would be that tough Doug?

Having said that, everything should be easier going forward, as I'm sure that we've got a mental image of what the rest of the country (below the Arctic Circle) looks like, having scoured it over and over for the last few weeks.

Actually, I did plan it that way... sort of an end of season graduation exercise you might say! Of course we'll keep playing on and off, but I fully intend to get back to real caching soon. Solved a puzzle yesterday and that will be targeted soon as the snow goes away again... Just my luck gas is over 1.30/litre here now... but the puzzle is on the way to Alberta where it's a bit cheaper.

Have fun whatever you do... I see there is a new posting, so I'll go look at that one, but to be fair (and busy here) I'll likely not 'find' it to give others something to go for... always room for newcomers too!

Doug 7rxc

Had a few minutes and I recognized this one right away, kids loved this dam

Is it Revelstoke Dam / BC Interior Forestry Museum - GC2CCDZ?

Yes, you are correct. We toured the dam last fall. Quite liked the Revelstoke area and the nearby national parks.

I know the answer has already been posted...this cache is in my neck of the woods! On the way back from signing the log, we were treated to the sight of a bald eagle by the water's edge with his catch.

Hi! I think this is your first appearance here... Welcome to WIC. It takes a bit of effort to get some of these offerings.

I suggest reading the whole thread and then you can pick up some hints, Lots of different methods and tricks of the trade as it were.

Many of the regulars will gladly answer questions for you.

You can play MOST of the offerings right back to the beginning (some images have broken links) plus you don't have to wait for answers since they can be found here, just check the postings just before a new one appears. The game itself is great for boosting your powers of observation and planning. Proves a big use when out in the field looking for a concealed cache, at least I think so...

Most of the images are out of either Google Earth (with viewer) or Google Maps or the new Beta, some even from the Google Map on the cache page. But anything is fair if we know what it was.

Have fun! There should be some easy ones due soon... this is sort of our end of season as we get to caching for real, but we will still be playing.

Doug 7rxc

While I bump this up a bit...

I'd like to thank those who offered assistance with my 'laptop' password problem... I finally got that straightened out... just a matter of finding a software that worked... now I just need a key hinge... which is available online, and her computer is back to full working (or not, which is more normal state) order. Thanks again.

Now back to the WIC... it wasn't that hard guys... I've been really running around lately to much... so I left it for you to claim.

Even I have been out caching, so I figure it's going to be slow for the summer... but there are still rainy days, right?

Doug 7rxc