The "Where in Canada" Map Quiz!

Happy Paddlers

you got it

Thanks! Good one... it threw me a tiny bit at first.

Anyway, hopefully this isn't too hard, I just seem to be plum out of really nasty ones so I haven't been claiming any... but just to take my turn...

newoffr8.jpg

just a litle stinker for you all!

Doug 7rxc

For me it was the shoreline... it looked tidal in nature... perhaps they drew down that lake a bit... anyway I thought it was over on the coast... it matches visually to several areas in the islands, but not exactly... I was wrong at first. Went back to examining the pic, then tried elsewhere... thanks again for waking me up... there's lots to work with in my offer... but nothing blatant. After that it's go search...

Doug 7rxc

you got it

Thanks! Good one... it threw me a tiny bit at first.

Anyway, hopefully this isn't too hard, I just seem to be plum out of really nasty ones so I haven't been claiming any... but just to take my turn...

Doug 7rxc

Nice one Doug - I would have got that one without your clue. It's still embedded in my mind

Doug 7rxc

Nice one Doug - I would have got that one without your clue. It's still embedded in my mindNOSE!

Hi guy... fixed that typo for you :rolleyes: Welcome to WIC... Did you try the one I found (Fonty Family )? That would be a good one for you to start...

Doug 7rxc

Thanks for the hints! I had looked at maps a couple of times but didn't have the right spot.

I believe it is Line Creek Sulphur Springs GCX74H.

Thats correct... Which hints? the north south river, the large marshy wetland, the switchbacks showing a fairly steep hill and which side of the obvious valley it was on, the trees, the obvious sulphury yellow green pond and so on... or maybe the original 'stinker' reference by me and the rather blatant references by fyrfytr and my 'correction' as reinforcement?

I see you have one up, so I'm off to do battle with that one now...

edit: :mmraspberry: sarcasm I hate... to receive

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Doug 7rxc

Nice one Doug - I would have got that one without your clue. It's still embedded in my mindNOSE!

Hi guy... fixed that typo for you :rolleyes: Welcome to WIC... Did you try the one I found (Fonty Family )? That would be a good one for you to start...

Doug 7rxc

Yes I recognized that one immediately. I helped recover a body from that island a few years ago . .

Dang it, you beat me... I didn't see it til this mornings browsing... sigh!

Don't you love the image file name? <_< On to yours...

Luck of the draw. I almost went to bed early last night and would have missed it. Didn't notice the file name before. Looks like RCA777 likes playing with smelly red fish. :)

Edited by Avernar

This one is not where you'd expect it to be so anyone need a hint?

I'd hate to spoil the first fun hunt I've had in a while... perhaps you could offer them via email...

to others... I don't mind if someone else finds it first, just don't want to have any more detail here.

I thought I'd got the area, and might have, but not so far!

Doug 7rxc

I'd hate to spoil the first fun hunt I've had in a while... perhaps you could offer them via email...

to others... I don't mind if someone else finds it first, just don't want to have any more detail here.

I'm glad you're having fun with it. I'll keep the hints/spoilers to email.

I thought I'd got the area, and might have, but not so far!

:D

Thanks, as long as it's one or two... IF it gets to be too many, I'll gladly just stay away for a while...

Then you could email ME telling it has been found, if not by me! Which ever is less work...

I can easily resist looking at the GC and Name until I give up... which has happened 3 times so far. I'm just having some busy times lately... This time someone decided to take apart their laptop, screw by screw sans S/Manual or even being awake fully.

I'm getting it back together, luckily I like jigsaw puzzles too! Sadly and luckily, there are few broken parts and only time will tell if it will ever work again... but it did need maintenance... badly... sigh!

Doug 7rxc

Not a problem any more... the pic that is...

GCMQ98 La Cap-aux-Meuloise 1

GC1F8Y8 L'entre deux

GC2CMY7 La discrète

Knew I had seen that somewhere, another time and pic hunt...

Now the big problem... what to do... something easy I think.

Doug 7rxc

Not a problem any more... the pic that is...

It amazes me how you hunt these down so easily.

Who said it was EASY... this one was delightfully chosen, good concealment, could have been MANY places, but wasn't.

I get all my information from the image, as I've said before... throw in some experience, mix in a dose of what I've seen while scanning around the country in GE... spend a little time finding out what works and what doesn't... and sometimes I'm LUCKY.

I knew that this was cropped a lot, and that told me that just a little expansion would likely give it away... I use that sometimes.

Work out the scale from the road/track and then look at some similar site and figure how big an area I can search and still see my imagined target clearly... I also made an estimate based on the spacing of the three... not equal, but I knew they couldn't be closer than 0.1 mile... matched that to the rough scale as well... oh yes... the presence of the dirt road, and 3 caches including a multi said it was a populated area to some degree... look at all the places with just one cache... and no roads. I do examine the pic contents and what they represent as well... just a gut feeling that the road had a bridge or large culvert, you can see there is water flow there on both sides... that yells at me that it is tidal flow in /out. That one I found, that worked against me since I saw a change of water level, but was wrong thinking it was daily tidal action... sometimes you lose.

Anyway, I've been mentoring a few on here and I can see the improvement... and the satisfaction levels... Like I said, this was even a bit of work for me... enjoyed it, and now I'll go back to something easy (er) and we can start going upcale again... something like easy, slightly harder, harder(s), and challenging... It's all about fun... plus the weather is improving across the country and regular caching is getting easier (I hope). If you or anyone has a question, use the profile if you don't have my email already... I'm busy but take lots of breaks (getting old)

Doug 7rxc

OKAY... I've picked a fairly easy target for those who have been patient waiting on the harder ones to pass by...

This is almost a giveaway by my standards...

[/img]

Have a little fun and let the game begin!

Doug 7rxc

random spot with 4 trees is your idea of "a giveaway" ? :blink:

/me goes back to waiting for the harder ones to pass

:laughing:

I think I see the problem...

t4e... >random spot with 4 trees is your idea of "a giveaway" ?

I was into using my toes before I got out of counting TREES. And had not started on the small ones yet.

Avernar... >He's operating on a higher plane than the rest of us mere mortals.

is easily impressed it seems. I'm not that good at this... just thorough!

MoFryFam... >This is gonna be fun

You can see more than you let on... but... no landing strip, although the main road has been used for little planes...

oops I shouldn't have said that, since you don't see any roads there... It really is an easy one. re read your notes if you have to it's all there and in the thread pages...

Doug 7rxc

Heh. I just admire your patience as it's something I lack.

You just remind me of Sherlock Holmes with his powers of observation. You notice certain details in the images and connect them with things. "This rock casting this odd shadow means it's at this lattitude..." B)

We'll need a bigger sandbox - GC2P2F2

I have to admit, that actually was easy! When I first saw it, I thought it would be impossible. However, a bit of reading between the lines of 7rxc's recent posts led me right to it.

You got it! I don't fib (much). All sources of information are valid. It's how you put it together...

This was a fast choice, made to get things moving along again... We're also trying to get some awareness of the Elk Valley as a cache destination... There are way to few hides, and they are widely separated to boot... If I say easy, it's easy...

Now... what did I write that you used... might have to stop saying things like that... probably the 'local' knowledge part for MFF.

Who I still want to find the cache on their own...! BTW the STF on that was still open the other day... and TTF but I doubt it will last long. How did you guys do on Avenars hide.. that was a good one.

Doug 7rxc

We'll need a bigger sandbox - GC2P2F2

I have to admit, that actually was easy! When I first saw it, I thought it would be impossible. However, a bit of reading between the lines of 7rxc's recent posts led me right to it.

You got it! I don't fib (much). All sources of information are valid. It's how you put it together...

This was a fast choice, made to get things moving along again... We're also trying to get some awareness of the Elk Valley as a cache destination... There are way to few hides, and they are widely separated to boot... If I say easy, it's easy...

Now... what did I write that you used... might have to stop saying things like that... probably the 'local' knowledge part for MFF.

Who I still want to find the cache on their own...! BTW the STF on that was still open the other day... and TTF but I doubt it will last long. How did you guys do on Avenars hide.. that was a good one.

Doug 7rxc

Yes, it was the local knowledge part that gave it away. I figured you wouldn't have known about the road being used for planes, unless you were local to the area.

You just remind me of Sherlock Holmes with his powers of observation. You notice certain details in the images and connect them with things. "This rock casting this odd shadow means it's at this lattitude..." B)

I'm never sure if we ever beat Doug to be honest. Hope not to embarrass him here, but he's nailed a couple (quickly!) via PM but has left them for others to find. I think the only pictures I've posted that he hasn't found were put up in the morning when the Eastern time zone has a three hour head start. If he finds caches on the ground as well as he finds them on an ortho image then we might be looking at a "New Points Leader in BC".

Anyway, another image for your amusement.

f95bf6ea-519b-4f69-ab35-13d319d0dab3.jpg

I think I see the problem...

t4e... >random spot with 4 trees is your idea of "a giveaway" ?

I was into using my toes before I got out of counting TREES. And had not started on the small ones yet.

Avernar... >He's operating on a higher plane than the rest of us mere mortals.

MoFryFam... >This is gonna be fun

You can see more than you let on... but... no landing strip, although the main road has been used for little planes...

oops I shouldn't have said that, since you don't see any roads there... It really is an easy one. re read your notes if you have to it's all there and in the thread pages...

Doug 7rxc

how about i teach you to use the "multiquote" feature and you teach me how you find everything on the map? :P:laughing:

my thoughts exactly :lol:

Edited by t4e

how about i teach you to use the "multiquote" feature and you teach me how you find everything on the map? :P:laughing:

Actually, I'd like to know how... the basic problem is that I've not tried it... well, once when it first appeared and it did not do anything at that time... not even a basic reply... I've never gone back to it. I can do it the 'old' way, this time I was only after a little bit from each so cut and paste was fine and suitable.

As for finding everything on the map. I've always shared my thoughts on the basics with people and they have started finding, when they actually find... I can't promise FIRST to find, even for myself. Photo analysis is the big thing, by the nature of what we are doing here... Look at the photo closely, See what is there, Think about the significance, Make an educated GUESS and start looking.

There are many suggestions as to how to do that scattered throughout the thread by me and others. I'm glad to respond to a specific question if I can. Most of the time by email through my profile is easiest... just make sure yours is active for reply... mine is.

It's just a puzzle of sorts that you have to line things up and solve. It works best when the 'hider' has crafted the picture a bit so that it contains what you need... I try to do that. The hardest ones seem to be when someone simply grabs a picture and crops it down, with no thought about the needs of the finder... Brute force approaches can do it, but you can usually reduce the search area greatly by analysis first... and yes patience is a virtue. The most important aspect is to feel in control of the situation.

First timers and other new players let themselves get overwhelmed by the apparent size of the task... so eliminating impossible locations quickly helps eliminate that feeling... then do some more. Spend some time simply browsing around and remember what you see. I'm not going to teach it here, but the things I've said help in the elimination process... but I will via email.

And yes, I've done the both of the last two... less than thirty minutes for both once I saw them... ha!

More celebratory yogurt cones :mmraspberry::mmraspberry: I get to leave the easy ones for others to play. :omnomnom:

Doug 7rxc

First timers and other new players let themselves get overwhelmed by the apparent size of the task... so eliminating impossible locations quickly helps eliminate that feeling... then do some more. Spend some time simply browsing around and remember what you see.

Sounds like our first micro in a forest.