The "Where in Canada" Map Quiz!

Happy Paddlers

GC266Y3 Point Traverse Lighthouse

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1d802f22-e8ca-49d2-850c-0d15a2c4edf0

Woohoo I finally got one!

next coming up...

Perseverance pays! Congratulations, now all regular players have at least one find!

edit: I actually found a FTF on a new winter friendly cache Tuesday... good start for the year...

glad it was then not today... was -29C last night, today looking at WC of -40 or so.

:mmraspberry: mmm yogurt cone

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Ok, so I just realized how much fun you guys are having with this little game a couple days ago and decided that I want to get in on the action. This has to be the wrong one to start on, I am having a pretty tough time with this. Is it my noobness or is this one actually tough, lol?

Well, I would say noobness would be close.... it isn't all that hard in general. this one is fairly easy in fact... I won't say how easy, but it is... Most people beginning have a sense of being overwhelmed with the need to locate one tiny point pictured in the vastness of Canada... so you are not alone... I would recommend going back to the beginning and trying some of the ones already solved. We purposely only give names and GC#s as answer that can be looked up if needed and the whole game can be played out by people joining late... by all means do the current one as well, if you can... but the whole thread is the game and there is lots of HOW TO information along the route... I can and do offer counsel/answer queries, I'm sure others do as well, or would be glad to.

Basically, you look at the picture, ID items / things that make it unique, think about it a bit and GUESS where to start... some guess better than others, some know the place already and so on. Welcome to it and good luck... or skill or both to you.

Doug 7rxc

Someone asked me a question via email... Is this relavent to Geocaching for real?

I'd say yes... helps improve your visual searching skills... not to mention puzzle solving.

Try this cache. GC1K4MF Eye in the Sky which is based on the same premise.

Doug 7rxc

Here's one in Toronto that has twelve locations to find: GC243ZG Rouge from Above

Thanks... I'll try that/those, at least finding them on GE. I lived in the Toronto area my whole life until 1995.

Edit: Thanks again.. solved and verified. Have to wait for another trip to go for... We're now getting snowed in so I can't...

Edit 2: Better have another yogurt cone :mmraspberry:

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Woohoo found it! Wow there are alot of caches up on the ol Manitoulin! We gotta get up there!!

Falcon Castle GCGFKF

N 45° 53.454 W 083° 13.525

next up:

whereb.jpg

Right...so I have been looking for about 2 hours now - any hints? I have used tips from early posts. I see trees, I see brown holes and water to the left....sooo left coast?

I'm going to say that is Balu Pass ... I cannot recreate the exact zoom level and my eyes are getting worse every day, so I'll wait for confirmation if that's okay, but I'm pretty sure that's it. What an awesome looking cache.

You are correct :)

Yes, it is certainly an interesting cache. I was in the area last year, but was unable to attempt it, due to some restrictions in the area. Hopefully I will be able to get to it sometime in the future.

I'm going to say that is Balu Pass ... I cannot recreate the exact zoom level and my eyes are getting worse every day, so I'll wait for confirmation if that's okay, but I'm pretty sure that's it. What an awesome looking cache.

I concur - I think he photoshopped out the highway. The zoom level is farther out rather than closer...The horseshoey thingy is the same farther out.

Yes, it is certainly an interesting cache. I was in the area last year, but was unable to attempt it, due to some restrictions in the area. Hopefully I will be able to get to it sometime in the future.

I hope you do! This topic really highlights some wonderful parts of the country, I think that's why I keep coming back.

Here is a cache in the little town where my parents met.

baa1ce2d-2906-450e-baa8-d8a0fd7adb91.jpg

I agree he doctored the original but good spot for the finder,,

how did this and other caches get published in the National Park??

I have been up 3 km of the trail in Winter,, snowshoing and then tobaganning for the last part.

Lots of snow, lots of avalanches, and I think I caused 30 or 40 on different occasions,

Edited by stagunner

I concur - I think he photoshopped out the highway. The zoom level is farther out rather than closer...The horseshoey thingy is the same farther out.

The image was not altered in any way. The highway is less visible because the image has been zoomed out to include more of the surrounding area.

-Edited to add that the highway is visible in the image - in the bottom right quarter. The image just includes a larger area than most previous images in this thread, so the highway is less apparent - but it is clearly visible.

Edited by rtyrie

I agree he doctored the original but good spot for the finder,,

I don't think so, the image looks pretty true. Just really tough to frame it up the same way, zoom to the right level. I'm surprised that there are not more mountain caches in this game, I assume that everyone like me - who has not been - is looking for the chance to go.

The image was not altered in any way. The highway is less visible because the image has been zoomed out to include more of the surrounding area.

-Edited to add that the highway is visible in the image - in the bottom right quarter. The image just includes a larger area than most previous images in this thread, so the highway is less apparent - but it is clearly visible.

I've been tied up or I would have commented... absolutely not retouched.

I'd guess original GC Google Maps, with LABELS turned off to get rid of the highway markings... the road and river are there to see... and perhaps some was blurred by some cropping a bit...

That was a good hunt... Thanks for it. Welcome back.

too bad I can't say that for BIC from MoFryFam.

didn't have time to get in close enough for that one so I was staring at the wrong colours... got me!

Still got some to go to catch up, but still not free time.

Edit: more yogurt... mmm :mmraspberry:

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

A good friend and fellow Geocacher passed away this weekend so I will use a couple of his caches.

Binrat

Those caches are GCTQGF Rideau View and GC1GKBG POONAMALIE LOCKS by Rideau.

We've had the opportunity to meet and get to know a number of people through this game, wildly different ages and occupations, attitudes, levels of enthusiasm, but so much in common. Here's to friends and family.

Will post a picture tomorrow ...

When I first saw this image I was pretty sure I knew exactly where it was. I've been to a couple nearby caches, but not to this particular one:

Pointe de la Cité-du-havre: GC12G53

I can't believe I missed that one! I've been on the Jacques Cartier bridge to the north of it a zillion times.