The "Where in Canada" Map Quiz!

Happy Paddlers

I'm a lookin, its not on an island and I see a boat approaching a dam, so its on at least 1 river.

Binrat

Thanks for the reply... have you been lurking? You are looking at least... I'd be interested in reasoning re the first statement... 2nd point...

I can see the wake, but don't see a boat... of course you may have better eyes than I do :rolleyes: Not sure about the dam either... although they often have roads or walkways on top... I think even a weir would show some difference in water level, but I don't see that here... like I said, bad eyes... Would be glad to read what you have to say... you can use my profile if you wish... I'd rather not spoil things for others, but am interested in how people go at these... I have some time again... for a while.

There are a few people out there who are starting to learn how to approach these things... which isn't all that hard until one has to start actually tracking them down...

Doug 7rxc

Two fingers up from what I think is a dam I can see something white with a wake.

Binrat

Two fingers up from what I think is a dam I can see something white with a wake.

Binrat

Assuming you mean left of the structure... the white thing is the wake, plus possibly the dark line (may just be grain). There is another smaller one closer to the south shore. In the absence of a visible 'boat', consider that other objects can create a 'wake' IF they are standing in moving water (river). Since a wake spreads away from an object, the narrow point is upstream (or towards the boat). There are other indicators of flow direction as well. In Canada, the direction of flow can be a strong limitation on location. Of course one hopes that the hider would not select a segment that was not representative of the overall flow... I wouldn't do that for this quiz. Hard enough as it is... Try looking at a river near you that you know... a paddler would spot the flow direction even before seeing the wake... we have had several examples of this. Of course that is only one localizing factor, direction of flow. Scale from the road widths and tree sizes etc. show the water to be fairly wide, but not really large.

Have you examined the shadows? Direction, size etc... you can get the time of day there as well, since the orientation is N = up.

It's rough of course since it is for 'local' time not the actual time zone... but close... does it matter? Only in conjunction with the shadows themselves... I'll leave people to think about that part... but it can help narrow the area.

How about the rest of the image... GEO This sees a 'trailhead' parking area... what about the rest of the lower picture?

That also may be close to the truth...

Might as well use this as a educational example... got to catch a bus to town... more later.

edit: Thought I'd feel up to more when I got home... sorry not that enthusiastic... I will say that I'm preparing a slightly expanded pic... so hang in. Keep thinking.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

I'm sort of back... tired out. Anyway GO BACK to Post #195

I switched out the image with a slightly broader area.

This will allow you to see some more of the river etc. Most of the clues are the same ones mentioned. Now it is easy to see the direction of flow, so I won't hide that it is from the lower right, up the pic and a bit to the left... Not that common in most of Canada. I was talking about shadows as well... the angle of cast says it's close to but before 'solar' noon... but a bit longer than I'm used to at that time of day, how about you? Any ideas yet about what the image shows in the lower half...

Roadways, parking lot, green space, buildings... along a river and so on... I find lots of local sites that are similar without hardly trying... just not this one... Very important to check your own area for things you can see but not ID.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Well I am definitely ready for another hint. I am thinking and searching along the wester side of the Rocky mountains. There are roads of that size and orientation running along a lot of the waterways. And there is a lot of camping/hiking areas if that is a trail head. On the other hand if it is a dadgum then I am also covered as there are a lot of those too. No luck so far but I will keep at it a while yet. Not the quiting type.

P.S. I did originally think it was northern Ontario near Hudson's Bay but I gave that up for a couple of reasons.

Well I am definitely ready for another hint. I am thinking and searching along the wester side of the Rocky mountains. There are roads of that size and orientation running along a lot of the waterways. And there is a lot of camping/hiking areas if that is a trail head. On the other hand if it is a dadgum then I am also covered as there are a lot of those too. No luck so far but I will keep at it a while yet. Not the quiting type.

P.S. I did originally think it was northern Ontario near Hudson's Bay but I gave that up for a couple of reasons.

Welcome aboard... you should read my last post again... pay attention to the river flow... not many fit that direction near the Rockies. Shadow analysis was mentioned as well... these are long considering the time of day (solar day). Can you find ones similar time near your location... that might help. Length will vary with season of course, but since MOST of GE pics are spring/winter/fall and these don't show winter conditions... it is significant. Ask what else affects shadows?.. hillsides is one answer, but much of this is fairly flat...

I put this one up as a trainer. It was intended for one cacher but got pressed into service for everyone... I DO take questions via my profile message. I believe the more we learn the better skills we possess for other pastimes. I do not know if you saw the original pic, but the current one is just slightly larger area. Much more will give it away...

Throughout the quiz, there are other posts with suggestions of things you can use... image colour palette is one, scale, always shadows, what is shown (compare to home area for examples). Of course brute force searching / scanning works too! So does using

search programs for certain things you can identify... savant9 had a neat .kml for airports and ski areas. But you have to have something to hunt for... analyze and think... I will not let it go too long, but others are looking too and don't want to spoil their hunts prematurely.

Have fun above all else. blame happy paddlers, he started it! I meantime will think of some clues.. but that is hard.

Doug 7rxc

Thanks for the welcome Doug 7rxc, I have been lurking a little while and am in the processe of picking out a gps to start my geocaching career.

Back to the quest at hand. I have looked into north and northwest flowing rivers. I have taken a look at the shadows. I have googled as many things into account that I have yet to think of. I have found some really similar shadows along a river flowing the right direction but the colors are off a bit and there is no island(s) as I see in your photo. I haven't given up but I think I have to try out some new rivers.

Mike

Thanks for the welcome Doug 7rxc, I have been lurking a little while and am in the processe of picking out a gps to start my geocaching career.

Back to the quest at hand. I have looked into north and northwest flowing rivers. I have taken a look at the shadows. I have googled as many things into account that I have yet to think of. I have found some really similar shadows along a river flowing the right direction but the colors are off a bit and there is no island(s) as I see in your photo. I haven't given up but I think I have to try out some new rivers.

Mike

Welcome to caching as well... be glad this isn't the normal method... but it can work for some of the easier real world hides...

You sound like you are making progress though... I don't pick impossible finds... but I do avoid clues people find easy...

I will say you sound to be trending in the right direction.

Doug 7rxc

GC15BT1 - Treasure Island- just outside of Whitehorse Yukon Treasure Island

Feeling like a bit of an idiot - I was looking way, way to far from home. I drive past that location dozens of times a year. The building is in the Robert Service Campground - I've stayed there several times. sheesh. If I'd have walked the Millennium Trail last summer like I had meant to but got sidetracked, I would have recognized that footbridge right away.

I'll attempt to post one tomorrow

GC15BT1 - Treasure Island- just outside of Whitehorse Yukon Treasure Island

Feeling like a bit of an idiot - I was looking way, way to far from home. I drive past that location dozens of times a year. The building is in the Robert Service Campground - I've stayed there several times. sheesh. If I'd have walked the Millennium Trail last summer like I had meant to but got sidetracked, I would have recognized that footbridge right away.

I'll attempt to post one tomorrow

Congratulations Qbar... You don't have to rush... let me know if you need help getting it created... it's not that tricky, but sometimes it doesn't seem to work first try. Looking forward to seeking again.

Doug 7rxc

I'd like to make a request to the people answering..is it possible to put the province in your post? I like to see if I can find them after the fact, and that information would let me narrow the possible area considrably, without really giving me the answer. If I look up the GC #, I often get too much information. Does this request make sense? (not that I did it that way in my answer, but I just thought of this possible aid for me.) I'm still trying, and still learning (thanks to 7RXC) but it is an awfully big country we got here!

Edited by Qbar

I'd like to make a request to the people answering..is it possible to put the province in your post? I like to see if I can find them after the fact, and that information would let me narrow the possible area considrably, without really giving me the answer. If I look up the GC #, I often get too much information. Does this request make sense?

Not really, because if you look at the cache listing, it will tell you the province right there. Is that not good enough?

I'd like to make a request to the people answering..is it possible to put the province in your post? I like to see if I can find them after the fact, and that information would let me narrow the possible area considrably, without really giving me the answer. If I look up the GC #, I often get too much information. Does this request make sense?

Not really, because if you look at the cache listing, it will tell you the province right there. Is that not good enough?

Doing it that way, I uasually see too much information - it's hard to "un-remember" that just above the line that says the province/territory, I saw bigger, bolder letters showing the coordinates. I'm trying to narrow the search area a bit, not get the coordinates and then go look for it.

I'd like to make a request to the people answering..is it possible to put the province in your post? I like to see if I can find them after the fact, and that information would let me narrow the possible area considrably, without really giving me the answer. If I look up the GC #, I often get too much information. Does this request make sense? (not that I did it that way in my answer, but I just thought of this possible aid for me.) I'm still trying, and still learning (thanks to 7RXC) but it is an awfully big country we got here!

As dfx already said, we have tried to avoid revealing the locations in any way other than to provide GC# and Name.

This allows anyone to play the quiz from the beginning but still have access to the answers. A few people have placed geographic references in their comments. This doesn't completely spoil a search, but does change the original challenge. For example... you made an offering... I was late seeing it, but ignored the answer and later on went and did it for myself... no win, except for me.

But I was able to search it out using methods we have discussed... had I failed, all I had to do was reference the GC# and work backwards to see where I was right or on the wrong path and why... no foul. I like to do this one way, visually, but I do use the other techniques for finding the really hard ones... always adding to the arsenal so to speak.

If you try one of the older ones and want some steerage, you know how to email me. Just mention the post # so I can get the right image and I can tell you the general area without spoiling it for others... Answer questions as well, as you know.

Doug 7rxc

Doing it that way, I uasually see too much information - it's hard to "un-remember" that just above the line that says the province/territory, I saw bigger, bolder letters showing the coordinates. I'm trying to narrow the search area a bit, not get the coordinates and then go look for it.

Oh I see, you still want to try to locate the cache/image yourself, just within a smaller area. I didn't get that part before, it makes sense now.

GC15GWW

Wish I was into geocaching when I visited this part of the country a few years back.

I know what you mean...5 years ago I drove from Beaver Creek Yukon (farthest west community in Canada) to Cape Spear (farthest east point in Canada/actually North America). While I was aware of geocaching, and was meaning to try it, I hadn't yet started. That would've been one sweet caching trip!

I've been busy a bit... but... tried a fast 'scan'... I think M&H is going to owe me NEW EYES... looks easy, but not proving so..

I had less trouble with the 'cave expedition'... and they are still crossed from that one.

I like it! Just wish I wasn't going six directions at once... still trying.

Doug 7rxc

Just for the record... I was having fun, like I said in my last post... won't be quite as much fun now... but I suspect still a good hunt. I'd have waited for a while longer myself... but thanks for the ones who wanted some help... you seem to have a knack for tricky ones...

edit: My eyes have had it... got some work to do!

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

MikeandHike: Did you see the email I sent you via your profile? I didn't get a reply to it... BTW I may be going blind, but all I see in my 'purse' is pennies... and not many of them!

Edit: Ok on the email.. pennies is it... til Wednesday if I'm lucky.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Looks like the following in British Columbia:

Kettle Valley Railway (Myra) Rock Oven (GC1GD45)

K.V.R. #4 - Out With The Old, In With The New (GC15CED)

Donkey Engine (GC2G3RB)

Trestle Madness(GC2G3QZ)

K.V.R. #2 - Old Camp(GC12GZC)

Weta and Tito's Loco Cache (GC2F0Z7)

K.V.R. #3 - Trestle Trek (GC13CPA)

trestle tunnel (GC849A)

Step on up (GC2G3NH)

Kettle Valley View of 3 Trestles (GC1V3EX)

Edited by mTn_biKer65