The "Where in Canada" Map Quiz!

Happy Paddlers

GC29K08 and GC1G878

:unsure:

Yellowknife's Northern Visitors Travel Bug Hotel and My World #3 are correct.

Under the long established quiz rules, the next one is yours.

--------------

I can't claim credit for this idea. The UK and Ireland forum has been running something similar for quite a while.

Pup Patrol, I brought my myccr avatar here - I liked it, and it saved making a new one up. I really can't believe that anyone recognized it. ;)

I've got to NOT be so eager... Hate coming up with responses... anyways...

I'll offer this up... lots of visual clues but no giveaways I can see... also had to figure out where the images were coming from... that was not hard... but I hadn't tried that yet. Zooming out a bit is possible, but won't show much more... too much and it's too easy... sorry...

mystery.jpg

Should be the only one in Canada like that though...! Seems like I kept missing the others by small amounts... of time or distance... Good Luck.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Not a clue to the answer, but I have a question...how are you figuring out the answers? Is it a case where you kinda recognize the area, and then go to, say, Google earth and poke around till you get a visual match and then find which GC is there? Or are you starting out completely in the dark, and if so, how are you searching and figuring out the location?

Not a clue to the answer, but I have a question...how are you figuring out the answers? Is it a case where you kinda recognize the area, and then go to, say, Google earth and poke around till you get a visual match and then find which GC is there? Or are you starting out completely in the dark, and if so, how are you searching and figuring out the location?

You could also look through the poster's finds. Easier said than done with the more accomplished geocachers. :laughing:

Unlike the PUB quiz... I haven't seen any searching rules... so it won't be just personal knowledge...

The Kamloops one I stumbled across, my roomate asked me to look up an address for a neighbourhood she used to live in wayy back... right next to the river and a bit downstream... I did a search on the address

and while zooming in thought something looked familiar...

I'd say do anything that you need to... I did not however see anything that requires the person who posts the question to have EVER found the cache at least on the ground... they might have been researching a trip for the future or see if there was something near somewhere neat that they had visited another time and place..

At very least there needs to be some searchable clues... and in mine there are... same for all of the other ones.

It's your chance to be a photo analyst...

It isn't as hard as that NY search problem for sure... since we KNOW these exist somewhere in Canada.. which I guess is another rule for this... clues and THERE.

Doug 7rxc

While there can't be many places in Canada where there is such a bend in the railway, there is a lot of Canada to look through, and a lot of track to follow.

It is a good clear picture, so it's either surprisingly close to an urban area, or you've set your GE view to more detail. I'm having fun trying to trace it though.

I don't think it is any harder than any of the others... you look, analyze and scan... I thought I recognized the YK picture... when I checked YK I simply didn't look at the edges... my fault... I was correct though in my vague recollection... just inaccurate when and where I looked. The PQ one was more analyze and scan, since I didn't have much to go on... first thing I did was look for something for scale... road widths and such. The power stuff stood out as well... I didn't really find that one though until later... I did have the area right though as was stated by others... I admit to scanning similar geographies out here. Harrison Lake was one of my suspects on that one, BC has some big skinny ones... just a bit too slow on the search. And I said, I was doing some other GE work when I spotted the Kamloops 'Island' in the view I was looking at.

I like this game, although it is search intensive... Like the others were wondering, did you ever intend to have a set of 'rules or guidelines' for it... to keep things from getting silly... like a limit on the scale of the view...

as indicated on the lower left before cropping out the image... one can get too close and lose detail to that..

for others... a slight help for any of these searches... watch the colouring... GE uses several types of photos

each with different 'colour' palettes... what I call greens, a sort of foggy bluish, several false colour schemes...

you can thin things out by looking for areas with similar colours... at the similar scales to the image especially.

Still leaves lots of area to search though... watch the seasons too! No snow in summer pics... opposite in winter.

Hiders should disguise orientation marks and scales, crop out obvious giveaways like highway numbers or drop them from the GE display... etc. But not to extremes... trees look mostly the same, but not all of them.

BTW thanks for some fun challenges.

Doug 7rxc

I have been trying to find there with no luck whatsoever, using most of the tips suggested above. Oh well .. i'l get some someday!

Something that has crossed my mind is that I hope everyone keeps the orientation of North being UP. It could be really evil if not impossible is you were to rotate GE some :D

Hi Loris... I rechecked the other offerings... most have been N up (GE North roughly TN).. the ones that haven't been GE N up have been very close... mine is off a bit East of North, but I'd say less than 5 degrees if that helps.

I'll fess up to modifying the indicator to not show it at first glimpse, maybe not second either... Seems someone got me started with PSP 7... On the other hand, many of these pictures presented have visible shadows... which can be used to rough out an orientation... around Canada NO shadow will run due south... or for that matter very close to it... sometimes and someplaces really long shadows can run a bit to the south of east or west in the peak of summer... a backup hint... Time of day matters, long shadows are really early or late in the day.

really short shadows midday (stick to standard time)... There are other hints too... can you read the river flow to see what direction it's going... down hill for sure... but which direction... this can eliminate some rivers...

How about research to the train itself... that road is paved... Lots to work with here...

I agree with the North up for a standard though... the only other one that seemed turned slightly was KI cache that I found... it was off slightly... I think a composure thing to fit better...

All things are good ideas... patience is the best one... I am considering taking requests for hints written on large denomination currency though.. :D

Doug 7rxc

For previous posters who are looking for tips regarding how to find these caches, I will share my solution for the last puzzle:

I found this cache entirely with Google Search. The bend in the railway is the most obvious feature in the image. I figured that such bends would be quite rare. I first googled "hairpin turn". The results of that search taught me that these bends in railways are called "horseshoe curves". I then googled for "horseshoe curves" in Canada. This led me to a railroad forum that provided map links to 2 such curves in Canada. One of these links looked promising, so I then entered the given coordinates into the geocaching map - bingo!

Now I will look for a new cache to add for the next puzzle.

Thanks for the run down on your method...I was planning on asking the poster who got it, how they figured it out. So I was kinda on the right track...I spent some time looking in that area last night...was pretty sure it wasn't on the north/south lines running up the Fraser Canyon...there's so many tacks visible as you drive andI've driven that route dozens of times, and I was pretty sure I'd remember something like that. ((yeah, I suspect there's lots of tracks you can't see from the road, but I had to start somewhere, right?) A few years back, we drove from Vancouver Island to Regina, coming out of BC just south/west of Pincher Creek. I was patiently heading west from there on Google Earth. I don't know if I would have eventually found this or not..train tracks don't show up very well for me on Google Earth. A long rambling post to say I still don't know how to do this, but I just might get there eventually :anitongue:

good use of the term "hairpin curve"..wish I'd remembered that term...I also tried googling various phrases, but nothing reasonable came up in the first several pages of results. If I'm out that way again ever, I will certainly have to go check out those tracks (and the cache)

Thanks for the run down on your method...I was planning on asking the poster who got it, how they figured it out. So I was kinda on the right track...I spent some time looking in that area last night...was pretty sure it wasn't on the north/south lines running up the Fraser Canyon...

A few years back, we drove from Vancouver Island to Regina, coming out of BC just south/west of Pincher Creek. I was patiently heading west from there on Google Earth. I don't know if I would have eventually found this or not..train tracks don't show up very well for me on Google Earth.

If I'm out that way again ever, I will certainly have to go check out those tracks (and the cache)

I think you would have found it if you were following Hwy 3... It would be just North of my pic.... which is why I didn't want to zoom out any more... I'm sure you've eyeballed the listing by now... congrats on coming that close... I said it wasn't all that hard...

Doug 7rxc