Reserving GC Codes

ryanr69

Is there a way to reserve say a block of 10 GC codes without actually publishing the cache?

Reason is, I would like to prepare a new cache (put the GC Code on the log), with the code prior to distributing it, then if I am on a hike and find a great place and I just drop it and populate the details later.

I have thought of making 10 fake caches, and putting them in phony locations like the middle of the ocean and updating them later, but that seems to put unneccessary work on the moderators.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Ryan

Edited by ryanr69

Is there a way to reserve say a block of 10 GC codes without actually publishing the cache?

Reason is, I would like to prepare a new cache (put the GC Code on the log), with the code prior to distributing it, then if I am on a hike and find a great place and I just drop it and populate the details later.

I have thought of making 10 fake caches, and putting them in phony locations like the middle of the ocean, but that seems to put unneccessary work on the moderators.

Ryan

Just don't check the "This cache is active" box. Then they don't go into the reviewer queue. They do show up on the proximity checks the reviewer (not all moderators are reviewers) makes, so yes, park them in the middle of the ocean or on top of your house. I think you need at least a title and coordinates, but those are fully editable at a later date.

I have thought of making 10 fake caches, and putting them in phony locations like the middle of the ocean and updating them later, but that seems to put unneccessary work on the moderators.

Ryan

I can see one potential problem here. You go on your hike, find a great spot, drop the container, go home and submit the cache. The cache is rejected (for some reason or other). You'll then have to do the hike again to retrieve the container. (But if it's such a great spot, a repeat may not be a problem)?

Edited by Huntleigh

I did this a few years ago when I created a puzzle series of 12 caches. I wanted the GC numbers to be consecutive. (or as close to consecutive as I could get) I created 12 cache pages with the same text and coordinates in 12 different browser windows or tabs. Made sure that the "Yes, this listing is active" box was unchecked, and clicked the "Report New Listing" button as fast as I could on each window/tab. I got 12 consecutive GC numbers.

After I found locations for the 12 caches, I edited each cache page and rechecked the "Yes, this listing is active" box and submitted the cache for the reviewer's publication

I also reused, in 2007, an unpublished GC number from a cache I submitted and was rejected way back in 2002. It was an old 6 digit GC code. (GC7095) that sat in my unpublished queue forever. It raised an eyebrow from our reviewer when he saw that GC code for a new cache in 2007.

Edited by Great Scott!

I would say that you should probably just find the spot, try the container and come back later after adding the GC code and giving the placement a night's thought.

You are gonna be coming top to that spot often if you are maintaining it anyway, it doesn't seem like saving yourself a trip is going to make the hide much better.

but, I do like caches that have the GC Code on them because its the best way for a muggle to look it up if they want you to move it, learn more or want to log it as their first find :unsure: