Considering Tagless Bugs...

Jeremy

You... don't... have... to... use... paper!

*slapping forehead*

Where is your creativity, people?? I apologize for getting so easily irritated - but it just bothers me that people can't see past what is presented to them. Sure, your tag would come to you as a PDF or in e-mail or whatever, but there are countless ways to label your bug and give it its tracking number.

Okay, I'm putting down the stick... I think I've beaten this dead topic enough already. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

You... don't... have... to... use... paper!

*slapping forehead*

... I think I've beaten this dead topic enough already. icon_rolleyes.gif

I agree with you toe. The creative ideas that this could spawn would be fun to see. I have encountered more than a few traditional travel bugs which were having a hard time keeping their tags attached.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

I vote a hardy "NO" on tagless bugs. A tagless bug is just another trading item. I like the solid, quality look and feel of a tangible tag. The tag makes a travel bug "special" or it was until there were SO MANY of them. Let's do what we can to limit the numbers of travel bugs out there so that the ones that are are at least somewhat of a "treat" when they come along.

quote:
Originally posted by Candyman:

I vote a hardy "NO" on tagless bugs. A tagless bug is just another trading item. I like the solid, quality look and feel of a tangible tag. The tag makes a travel bug "special" or it was until there were SO MANY of them. Let's do what we can to limit the numbers of travel bugs out there so that the ones that are are at least somewhat of a "treat" when they come along.

I strongly disagree, the thing that makes a Travel bug special is its Serial Number! With this special number they can easily be tracked through the geocaching.com site.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

I strongly disagree, the thing that makes a Travel bug special is its Serial Number! With this special number they can easily be tracked through the geocaching.com site.

Exactly. Any shmoe can take a happy meal toy, slap a tag around its neck, and send it out as a travel bug. Nothing terribly "special" about that.

On the other hand, we could have the 'tagless' tracking numbers that could be used in much more creative ways. I mean - people could hand stitch their tracking numbers into a beanie babie, they could use a woodburning tool to burn the number into something, they could use fabric paint, they could even print the numbers onto coins, tokens, or wooden nickels. To me, ANY of those things would be as special as any ol' McToy with a metal tag, if not moreso.

Yeah, and I know that people can still order metal tags and then just use the number if they want - leaving the tag off the bug... but that would be silly for a number of reasons. If someone doesn't want/need the tag, they shouldn't have be forced to pay more than if they could buy a reduced cost 'tagless' tracking number like Jeremy is suggesting.

If you like the tags, then by all means continue to buy them... and if you see a travel bug in the wild that doesn't have a metal tag, and you don't like it - then just leave it in the cache.

I really do find it interesting that some people find the idea of tagless tracking numbers so objectionable. I mean, it isn't like they are going to do away with the metal tags... it is just another option for people. Options are good. Choice is good. icon_smile.gif

icon_biggrin.gif )

My next 3 bugs will probably not carry the dog tag and chain, just the number. That way if it goes missing it is easy to just send out another using the same number. If I do send the tags along, I'm considering some modifications to them first. Make them more of an integral part of the bug.

icon_cool.gif

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I see a definite advantage to "tagless" bugs, but I have only one concern, inexpensive bugs will make the bug too common. Right now bugs are rare and elusive, and a great magnet for new or remote caches. I really like the in hand factor, and an oppertunity to make my own tags.

I will be supportive no matter which way the decison goes.

Keep on Cachin'

Idea sounds great!

I'd like to see an option for having tracking numbers start at 1 for those who create geocoins. This should be feasible if you tie the bug name to the numbers.

One would have to take into account of storing customer info so when he/she orders more tracking numbers for the geocoins, it would start off one more than where the order ended.

E.g. Let's say I order 20 geocoin tracking numbers associated with a geocoin name (EGH #1-EGH #20) and when I am ready to order some more...let's say 30 more...the numbers would be EGH #21-EGH #50.

Lets revive this.

When I think of "tagless" travel bugs and TB numbers, I was thinking of buying the numbers and either printing out the number to be attached (as others have indicated) or, better yet, carving or etching or engraving them onto the custom bug. Can you imagine an artist creating a small painting; a piece of wooden, metal or stone art; or any other truly unique bug which incorporates the number into the piece itself? There could even be "puzzle" TBs where things had to be done or guessed to figure out what the number is. For those who make it too hard or annoying, they would pay the price!

Even the Tshirts (or tattoos) some have made could only be activated after purchasing the physical tags. For those who worry about the cost, I ask, how could you increase profit MORE than by selling Virtual Merchandise? How much profit is there now in TBs? Can it beat 100%?

Besides, I would like the option of purchasing an entire block of numbers which I reserve for just my family. If I did that, I would likely buy far more than I anticipated using in the near future (such as buying 100 or 200), and may never use them all up. In that case, the profit would actually be above 100% as I may buy 200, but their computers would only end up dealing with 52 or 112.

Although I would always keep a few traditional bugs in the wind and I know many would always remain loyal to the traditional bug, there is room to allow the diversity of selling people numbers to use if they choose (or not) and incorporate them into some really cool and unique TBs. Any besides, is it not the imaginations of the cachers which makes this such a fun and refreshing sport?

Please consider creating this option for those who would like to explore it a bit further. There is nothing to lose and a higher-profit revenue stream to gain!

I see a definite advantage to "tagless" bugs, but I have only one concern, inexpensive bugs will make the bug too common. Right now bugs are rare and elusive, and a great magnet for new or remote caches. I really like the in hand factor, and an oppertunity to make my own tags. <BR><BR>I will be supportive no matter which way the decison goes.<BR><BR>Keep on Cachin'

I don't quite agree with this statement. There is a tracking site that gives away five free tracking numbers just for signing up. Their tagless tracking numbers are a lot less than a geocaching travel bug tag. But, I've only found one so far. That was when I was in Southern California. I brought it back to Hawaii with me and as far as I can tell it is the only one here.

Following what you are saying these cheaper tagless travel tags should be everywhere by now. But they are not.

There could even be "puzzle" TBs where things had to be done or guessed to figure out what the number is. For those who make it too hard or annoying, they would pay the price!

If the finder guessed the number wrong they could end up logging the wrong bug. Not a good idea.

I can't speak for the community, but I for one vote NO to this idea. Why?

If I wanted to do some sort of hitchhiker thing without the associated cost, there are an infinite number of ways that I could do so. I could just attach a piece of paper to an item telling people to move the item towards a certain location and e-mail me when they do so, or I could even spend a day or two and write my own tracking system in PHP. It wouldn't be hard. Sure, it's less reliable because it means users have to go to more trouble, but it's cheaper, so what does it matter? I could put out an infinite number of these things at no cost whatsoever and at least a few of them would make it somewhere interesting.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think it's just the metal tag that makes TBs special. It's the fact that they're somewhat rare. I've found 26 caches so far and not a single TB. If every cache has one, what's the point? I know it makes the whole travel bug thing more accessible, but frankly I don't think TBs will be very interesting if they become as common as the McToys found in most caches.

Edited by Tidalflame

I'd like to see both options left open: tagless for those who prefer it that way, leaving room for creativity in "attaching" a serial number, or the traditional tag, which many seem to prefer. Perhaps the ability to go "tagless" should be reserved for Premium members, with no charge to obtain or use a new serial number.