Considering Tagless Bugs...

Jeremy

Folks,

What are your thoughts on tagless bugs? Basically, it means that you purchase a tracking number and we provide you with an Adobe Acrobat file that you can print out and attach to your item of choice?

There are still costs associated with the upkeep of the travel bug features on the site, but with the lack of shipping required (and manufacturing), the cost would be significantly reduced. Like, say, $2 for a bug number and it goes down from there (by volume).

We would probably still provide the physical "stamped" bugs, but provide the alternate feature for people who just want to track items online and would rather not pay for the tag (and shipping). This is especially useful for our international friends.

Thoughts?

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

A low cost idea is always good. But on this, I think the tag is the way to go. Per-chance a cheaper way of making/sending the tags may be looked into, but I think the tag is still a key to people paying attention. In my short time GeoCaching, I have seen that without a bit of incentive, most people don't pay attention.

Zahrim....

as has been pointed out in other threads the cost is "fairly" high (now 5.99 per single) for somthing that may drop off the edge of planet the week after you place it. if they were cheaper i think a more people would be buy/use them, and it also may reduce the complaints about them getting lost/MIA/not logged on time/correctly. if they cost 1/3 of the current price you could send out 3 times as many and not care if say 1/2 of them go MIA from the start.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Folks,

What are your thoughts on tagless bugs? Basically, it means that you purchase a tracking number and we provide you with an Adobe Acrobat file that you can print out and attach to your item of choice?

the only problem i see is someone will decide that they cant get adobe to work, etc. will you provide tech support? icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by welch on August 10, 2002 at 12:57 PM.]

as has been pointed out in other threads the cost is "fairly" high (now 5.99 per single) for somthing that may drop off the edge of planet the week after you place it. if they were cheaper i think a more people would be buy/use them, and it also may reduce the complaints about them getting lost/MIA/not logged on time/correctly. if they cost 1/3 of the current price you could send out 3 times as many and not care if say 1/2 of them go MIA from the start.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Folks,

the only problem i see is someone will decide that they cant get adobe to work, etc. will you provide tech support? icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by welch on August 10, 2002 at 12:57 PM.]

I am not sure about cheaper and tagless bugs. I have been going through a lot of crap dealing with my first by out there, someone did not writing the number down, then placing it and some picks it up then goes on vacation and does not log there find yet. But I think with the cost of the bug now, it kinda makes it so there are not alot out there and

there a thing to go after. Just my thoughts

Don

I think it's a great idea. I was considering scanning in all my bug tags so if one went MIA I could print out a new tag, laminate it, and attach it to a new hitchhiker. The new bugs could be the same way- something you can print and laminate yourself, and re-print if necessary.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

I'm going to vote NO on this for a couple of reasons;

-Not selling a PHYSICAL tag devalues the TB experience.

-No TAG makes the "TB" just another generic traveller and there are lots of them out there already.

What would I like to see?

-Improve the TB tag, perhaps by including a laminated instruction card that can be attached to the traveller to help reduce loss/theft.

-Create a Generic Traveller, much like the idea at hand, but include it as a free MO service.

From a business/marketing prospective, I bet the $2 traveller fee wouldn't be enough to cover costs because people who want a Generic Traveller would just make one themselves and someone else would just create a generic tracking database.

What I'd do is create a generic TB feature that is free to Groundspeak MEMBERS and setup an additional website that is a completely seperate project that would "compete" with Where's George, Bookcrossing, and more importantly ASSET tracking.

Asset tracking goes like this: I go to the Groundspeak tracking site and pay $30 per year for a membership (which includes free membership to geocaching.com!). The membership gives me the ability to create up to 100 tracking numbers. These tracking numbrs I print out and stick to my Palm Pilot, Walkman, Cellphone etc. On the sticker is the URL for the website. I lose the item and someone will hopefully go to the website, punch in the tracking number and "log a find", where they see that I'm offering a reward. I contact the person with my posted reward in hand and get my valuable back.

A "Generic" tracking database could be robust enough to do "Travel Bugs", and anything else with a serial number!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

quote:
Originally posted by Zahrim:

I think the tag is still a key to people paying attention. In my short time GeoCaching, I have seen that without a bit of incentive, most people don't pay attention.

I agree with that, BUT I know that if I paid for a tracking number, I'd be sure to make my bug noticable. I have 4 travel bugs in circulation already, and they have real tags - but I STILL added a 1/4 sheet of paper with the travel bug description and goal and stuff. I'd do the same with a tagless bug.

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Well, it might devalue YOUR travelbug experience. It wouldn't devalue mine... I don't care if a tracking number is on a tag, written on an item, or engraved in it. The experience of using a travel bug, to me, is to be able to track it. Not having a little pressed tag isn't going to change that for me.

quote:
-No TAG makes the "TB" just another generic traveller and there are lots of them out there already.

Not generic - they'd still be tracked on the site, just like 'regular' travel bugs. Geocaching.com sponsored, so the money would help with the site, as well. All the other 'generic' travelbugs have to be tracked at other peoples' sites, but these would still be tracked here like normal.

quote:
-Improve the TB tag, perhaps by including a laminated instruction card that can be attached to the traveller to help reduce loss/theft.

I do that myself - it allows you to put the instructions of how a travel bug works, AND it lets you include your specific bug's goal.

quote:
From a business/marketing prospective, I bet the $2 traveller fee wouldn't be enough to cover costs because people who want a Generic Traveller would just make one themselves and someone else would just create a generic tracking database.

Not me - I was willing to pay the $18 to get my first 4 bugs, and I'd sure be willing to pay just $8 to get 4 more numbers. I don't want to have to go to someone else's site to track my bugs.

I'm not saying your ideas are wrong - but I just wanted to add that I don't necessarily agree with any of them. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Well, it might devalue YOUR travelbug experience. It wouldn't devalue mine... I don't care if a tracking number is on a tag, written on an item, or engraved in it. The experience of using a travel bug, to me, is to be able to track it. Not having a little pressed tag isn't going to change that for me.

quote:

Not generic - they'd still be tracked on the site, just like 'regular' travel bugs. Geocaching.com sponsored, so the money would help with the site, as well. All the other 'generic' travelbugs have to be tracked at other peoples' sites, but these would still be tracked here like normal.

quote:

I do that myself - it allows you to put the instructions of how a travel bug works, AND it lets you include your specific bug's goal.

quote:

Not me - I was willing to pay the $18 to get my first 4 bugs, and I'd sure be willing to pay just $8 to get 4 more numbers. I don't want to have to go to someone else's site to track my bugs.

I'm not saying your ideas are wrong - but I just wanted to add that I don't necessarily agree with any of them. icon_wink.gif

I think it's a great idea. I own 6 tags, and currently have released only one of them. I have considered using an image of the tag and it's unique number and not releasing EITHER copy of the tag. For some reason, it just seems like many folks aren't up on the intracacies of the TB.

Greg

N 39° 54.705'

W 77° 33.137'

I have in my posession a bug with no tags, wich is about useless. I have found where the owner registered it on Groundspeak, but no one has logged it since the tags are missing. It has made it from Wisconsin to Utah with no logs, I've tried emailing the owner to get the tracking number, but with no luck. I'm about to place it, but I would love to be able to log it. I think it's a bad idea, I own several bugs, and it's a lot nicer to have the bugs tagged.

IMHO I think even more of the Travelbugs would go lost without the tags. If the TB is just a piece of paper unless it is laminated they are bound to end up getting wet in some cache. Also I think the Tags stick out more.

I don't think many people would pay attention to the paper and it would probably end up getting torn, ripped, lost, wet or something of the like.

Once again, this is not an argument. Just my opinion.

I have a tagless bug that made it all the way from Texas to a specific cache in England, and is currently in the hands of a cacher in Pennsylvania who will be placing it in a cache near the Pittsburgh airport soon so it can hopefully make it back to Texas. The original tag was lost when a flood took out the cache it was in. I created a new tag, and it has done better than most bugs with the official tags.

25021_1200.gif

When caching with children, it can be really hard to educate them on all of the possibilities. Both of my sons, ages 7 and 5, know to look for the silver travel bug tag and never touch anything in a cache that has the tag.

I don't know what I would tell them if people were making their own tags, of all various sizes and types. "Don't take anything that is attached to anything else."? What about a yoyo or a keychain? I just don't know that the younger one would be able to make that distinction.

If I saw an untagged traveler was in a cache, I would avoid the cache until the traveler had been picked up by someone else. There's just too much risk that one of the kids would see it, think it's a booty nugget, and take it to play with. (Yes, I do supervise my kids, but mistakes happen, and I don't want it to happen with someone else's traveler.)

For those who like the make-their-own-tag option, why not just put your own tag on the bug in addition to the silver tag?

For those who want to be able to put the bug in a micro, I'm not sure what to say. I have seen so few micros that don't say "take nothing leave nothing" that I'm having trouble getting my head around the idea of leaving a travel bug in there.

Shannah

quote:
Originally posted by armed to the teeth:

I have in my posession a bug with no tags, wich is about useless. I've tried emailing the owner to get the tracking number, but with no luck. I think it's a bad idea, I own several bugs, and it's a lot nicer to have the bugs tagged.

Umm - I think you might have misunderstood what he meant by the term "tagless bug" - what is meant, is that there will be no Groundspeak dogtag type tag to go along with the bug - but the owner of the bug WILL attach some sort of tracking tag number to the bug.

Either by attaching a laminated/taped up card with the bugs info and number, or even by engraving the item with the bug number. It wouldn't just be sitting there in a cache, with no identifying marks as a travel bug.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric K:

IMHO I think even more of the Travelbugs would go lost without the tags.

From what I've heard, bugs generally have a tendancy to go missing anyway - and I'd rather be out $2 than $4 or more.

quote:
If the TB is just a piece of paper unless it is laminated they are bound to end up getting wet in some cache.

Well, if a bug owner has any sense, he'll make sure that doesn't happen. I simply use that wide clear tape, and 'laminate' my bug information and attach it along with the regular tags. If people don't think enough to protect their bug tag against the elements, then they've only themselves to blame if it gets damaged.

quote:
Also I think the Tags stick out more.

Probably true with most folks... I have a 1/4 sheet of paper, laminated, with my bug's goal on it - along with simple instructions of how a bug works. The tags on my bugs are probably the last thing people notice. icon_smile.gif

quote:
I don't think many people would pay attention to the paper and it would probably end up getting torn, ripped, lost, wet or something of the like.

I guess I'm just of the attitude that people shouldn't have to be babied. If they can't figure out how to protect a small piece of paper from the rain, then they have bigger problems than worrying about travel bugs.

quote:

Ditto. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Eric K:

IMHO I think even more of the Travelbugs would go lost without the tags.

From what I've heard, bugs generally have a tendancy to go missing anyway - and I'd rather be out $2 than $4 or more.

quote:
If the TB is just a piece of paper unless it is laminated they are bound to end up getting wet in some cache.

Well, if a bug owner has any sense, he'll make sure that doesn't happen. I simply use that wide clear tape, and 'laminate' my bug information and attach it along with the regular tags. If people don't think enough to protect their bug tag against the elements, then they've only themselves to blame if it gets damaged.

quote:
Also I think the Tags stick out more.

Probably true with most folks... I have a 1/4 sheet of paper, laminated, with my bug's goal on it - along with simple instructions of how a bug works. The tags on my bugs are probably the last thing people notice. icon_smile.gif

quote:

I guess I'm just of the attitude that people shouldn't have to be babied. If they can't figure out how to protect a small piece of paper from the rain, then they have bigger problems than worrying about travel bugs.

quote:

Ditto. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team StitchesOnQuilts:

I don't know what I would tell them if people were making their own tags, of all various sizes and types. "Don't take anything that is attached to anything else."? What about a yoyo or a keychain? I just don't know that the younger one would be able to make that distinction.

Well, I know that some people will think that my opinion isn't right on this - but I think it is the job of the parent to make sure their children don't take anything from the cache they shouldn't, or do anything to the cache they shouldn't.

If your child helps you find a cache, when you look through it with them - you should be able to seperate bugs from non-bugs, and then help them pick a treasure that they can keep. Whether a bug is a dogtag from Groundspeak, or a paper tag with a handwritten number - it shouldn't make a difference, imho.

quote:
(Yes, I do supervise my kids, but mistakes happen, and I don't want it to happen with someone else's traveler.)

That's good... I've seen posts and cache logs where it seems that parents sometimes find the cache, and then let their kids play in it for a while, then put it back without considering what their kids had done or taken from it.

quote:
For those who like the make-their-own-tag option, why not just put your own tag on the bug in addition to the silver tag?

I don't think it is an issue of people just wanting to make their own tags - I think the idea of making travel bug numbers without physical tags is more an issue of cost for the users. No tags = less cost = more bugs/fun for all. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team StitchesOnQuilts:

Well, I know that some people will think that my opinion isn't right on this - but I think it is the job of the parent to make sure their children don't take anything from the cache they shouldn't, or do anything to the cache they shouldn't.

If your child helps you find a cache, when you look through it with them - you should be able to seperate bugs from non-bugs, and then help them pick a treasure that they can keep. Whether a bug is a dogtag from Groundspeak, or a paper tag with a handwritten number - it shouldn't make a difference, imho.

quote:
(Yes, I do supervise my kids, but mistakes happen, and I don't want it to happen with someone else's traveler.)

That's good... I've seen posts and cache logs where it seems that parents sometimes find the cache, and then let their kids play in it for a while, then put it back without considering what their kids had done or taken from it.

quote:

I don't think it is an issue of people just wanting to make their own tags - I think the idea of making travel bug numbers without physical tags is more an issue of cost for the users. No tags = less cost = more bugs/fun for all. icon_biggrin.gif

I've looked into sending out a travel bug, but purchasing is pretty intimidating if you're not in the US. The prices on the UK supplier look high to me (and there's no discount on multiple bugs), and ordering from the US seems cumbersome.

I'd LOVE tagless bugs! Not as a replacement to the tagged kind, but as a suppliment.

Maybe have a sheet with the barcode bug emblem to laminate and attach? Then the emblem becomes the visual cue that "this is a travel bug" rather than the dog tag.

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

when a tagless bug is placed in a cache, it will still show the bug icon on the cache page right?(im amusing that the bug is logged correctly at the next cache)

will the icon be the same as the tagged bug? will there be anyway to tell when going to a cache that is supposed to have a bug, if the bug is tagless, or tagged? (even if the bug owner made their own and kept the dogtags...)

whack.gif

[This message was edited by welch on August 11, 2002 at 11:26 AM.]

The nice thing about the tags is that they provide a uniform message and a degree of robustness. I don't think the paper substitute would provide the same level of durability and weatherability (not everyone is going to laminate them or take other steps). What people should do to reduce the cost is buy the big pack with a group of friends. In my opinion, the traveller functionality should remain as is.

Tim

Team AZFastFeet

e

I don't like the idea. It would be the same as leaving and taking an item in a Cache box. There is no way of tracking the item (or Bug). Letting people come up with their own ideas for a "Travel Bug Tag" would be like a 'Stampede'. Everyone for themselfs with no goal in mind and no control.

As for having to buy them (Travel Bug Tags). Well someone has to have the equipment and a system for a Web page to keep track of them .... that means 'time and money'! And I personally like to go to the 'Travel Bug' web page and read about the 'TB' I've just found. I buy the items I leave at a Cache site and don't even think about what it 'cost' me. I do think about 'what' I'm going to buy ... like something someone would enjoy finding in a Cache box!!

[This message was edited by PTBOAT on August 15, 2002 at 10:30 PM.]

Jeremy,

While I certainly appreciate another potential geocaching innovation, my vote is against the tagless TBs.

Finding travel bugs have become one of my favorite parts of finding a cache. Certainly tagless bugs would lower the costs, but the increased number of bugs in circulation would, IMHO, diminish the thrill of finding one. To me, its a little like when a new car model comes out. While they are still new and relatively rare, its exciting to see one. Once so many are out there, the excitment is gone.

Also, the silver tags have become an easily recognizable item, making them stand out from all the other loot in a cache container. I would be concerned over the many forms of paper tags that sprout up -- already in this thread we've seen debates over weatherproofing (or "to laminate or not to laminate"), 1/4 pages of extra information, etc etc. Atleast with the silver tag, the current bugs have something in common.

Just my two pennies!

quote:
Originally posted by PTBOAT:

I don't like the idea. It would be the same as leaving and taking an item in a Cache box. There is no way of tracking the item (or Bug).

Correct me if I am wrong, someone... but all Jeremy was suggesting is not having the physical tag. You would still get a tracking number, which you could print out and attach to your bug somehow. The bug would still be trackable.

Maybe the Tagless TBs will work better than the others for the following reason -

Auto makers no longer put those old style hood ornaments on cars because the teens about 12 years ago, decided that it would be fun to steal them and wear them as jewelry or add them to collections.

I've even heard of people who collect hotel room keys of the hotels they stay in.

I would assume that amassing a collection of TB tags is the reason most TBs go missing. It can't be that they want the item (unless it is very unique) and they can't reuse the tag because of the tracking number. It just seems that the most likely reason is to collect the tags, I can picture some person with a bulletine board with dozens of tags hanging from it.

With the less expensive print out tracking numbers, it might be less of a draw for the tag collectors.

What do you all think?

The picture is a cup o' hamsters (literally)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hamsters - buy 2 get 10 free!

Draykoh, Yorik, Senyth, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Rubeus, Minerva, Ginny, Jumper, Pounce, Lenny, Squiggy, Micro-Sprite, Midgey and our much loved Boru (RIP)

Like others have said it is always nice to have options. I like the silver tags and the copies that I get to keep make a great "dogtag necklace" for me. On the other hand, I would probably send more out if they were less expensive. I think travelbugs will always be a coveted find in a cache becasue they will always be unique. I suppose if the day ever comes that there are mutiple travelbugs in every cache then we can think about making them more exclusive. I think, however, that that day is a long way off.

One of the allures of the travel bug is trying to see if I can contribute to its goal. No matter how many bugs I find in a cache it will be fun to see what unique and/or strange goal someone else has dreamed up that I can contribute t

In fact I have already sort of implemented something like this with my Mixed Signal Travel Bug. I just stuck the travel bug in the copier with some label paper and made a sticker to stick on the book.

I did put it in its own bag with a travel bug sticker on it, with with goals included so that it is not mixed up with other trade items.

But I would love the option of having a sticker tag for those items that a dog tag doesn't neccesarily work with. Of course I can still make my own, but if there is a cheaper option of downloading the stickers instead of paying for a tag that I am only going to make a sticker out of, that would be great.

I like the metal tags - I live in the UK, so they're a bit more expensive to buy... but I think they add a bit of "pedigree" to the travelbug... it's kind of like those Steiff Teddy Bears which have the ear stud to prove their authenticity - gives the thing a bit of class... and I think that the fact that you actually have to go through a little bit of effort (obtaining physical tags) in order to get these things into circulation makes them a little bit more "exclusive". I don't look forward to the day when a travelbug is generated at the click of a mouse, and every cache has half a dozen bugs in it; finding bugs is (and should be) a special event! ..and people are much more likely to progress a bugs "mission" (or even log the find!) when they're a novelty rather than the norm. Imagine a day when half the items in every cache have some kind of mission attached... I think most people would lose the motivation to take part in "helping" bugs if that was the case.

While I think giving people freedom to choose is usually a good ida, I don't think I'll get quite as excited about turfing up (or moving on) a bug with a "home-made" label. Personally, I'll be sticking with the metal tags for as long as they're available.

John.

quote:
Originally posted by John E Cache:

What will stop a person from printing out the tag more than once? For instance, when someone is sure that a bug is MIA and starts over with a new print out. The original may resurface and cause confusion.

People already do that with lost bugs, actually... I've seen many cases where people will send out the tag marked "copy" when they believe their original bug is gone for good.

I've also seen where people will recycle a dead bug's number by writing it or engraving it on an item and making a note in the log about it.

Although I only have one bug so far (TravelDawg) I plan on getting more and I would vote to keep the tag. The copy is on my keychain and I like the "dogtag" idea above...HAPPY CACHING!! icon_biggrin.gif

Does the walker choose the path, or the path, the walker? - Sabriel, by Garth Nix

Although I only have one bug so far (TravelDawg) I plan on getting more and I would vote to keep the tag. The copy is on my keychain and I like the "dogtag" idea above...HAPPY CACHING!! icon_biggrin.gif

Does the walker choose the path, or the path, the walker? - Sabriel, by Garth Nix

Hey..

I agree with MRCPU - keep the bugs, it makes the experience unique.

Possibly educate the group so as to NOT display serial numbers - either on the cache page or on the pictures of the actual bug. (like many have)

I don't think newcomers know the ramifications of giving out the tracking number..