Bugs Missing in Action

Guest glenn95630

Guest glenn95630

Unfortunately, it appears that a thread about Travel Bugs missing in action will be needed at some point. Feel free to post pictures or post a few words or vent.

Guest Artful Dodger

How did you loose it. Didnt the cache seeker take it at the cache where it was dropped off? Or was the entire cache plundered?

I havent found out yet but can you archive the Travel Bug easily? Does it disapear from the Galley?

Guest Moun10Bike

A couple of mine have gone missing. See the logs in these caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8941

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5216

Jeremy mentioned that he will at some point be creating an "unknown" log option for Travel Bugs. This will allow you to remove their icons from the cache pages without declaring that you have them in your possession.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

31H/128F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

quote:
I havent found out yet but can you archive the Travel Bug easily? Does it disapear from the Galley?

Dodger, I don't know of any way to archive a TB, I don't see that feature on any of the screens.

BUT: If you edit a TB and select None for the image to be displayed for the TB, then it is automatically removed from the gallery.

I have one bug I'm just using to experiment on stuff with. When Jeremy modified the gallery to show ALL TBs, I quickly went in and set the experimental bug's image to None so that it no longer showed up in the gallery.

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 03 November 2001).]

I almost lost one of my travel bugs... I got it registered and ready to place, but then was delayed for a few days. When I finally got around to hunting the intended drop-off cache, I discovered that the cache had been plundered and all the contents stolen. Now I'm glad that I was too busy for geocaching that week.

Guest mikemtn

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Jeremy mentioned that he will at some point be creating an "unknown" log option for Travel Bugs. This will allow you to remove their icons from the cache pages without declaring that you have them in your possession.

[/b]

Has anything like this happened yet. Is my only option to grab my bug from the Cache that the Bug isn't in anymore? He's been missing about a month and the Cache owner would very much like the Bug icon to go away on his cache since there's no Bug there.

Mike

it shows up better, and a note somewhere that says "do not take a travel bug unless you intend to place it in another cache. These are ment to travel. What do others think of something like this? Clay

Guest infosponge

It might help, but I think what I'm doing from now on is putting an extra laminated tag or soemthing on the bug that says "don't take this if you're not going to move it to another cache and log it on the web site".

I've had two different bugs that were taken by people that didn't bother to even log the cache on the web, much less log the travel bug. One was an honest oversight and was corrected about a month later and another one is still MIA. icon_frown.gif

Guest infosponge

It might help, but I think what I'm doing from now on is putting an extra laminated tag or soemthing on the bug that says "don't take this if you're not going to move it to another cache and log it on the web site".

I've had two different bugs that were taken by people that didn't bother to even log the cache on the web, much less log the travel bug. One was an honest oversight and was corrected about a month later and another one is still MIA. icon_frown.gif

Guest My Blue Heaven

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

I thought that one of mine was lost as well but it finally turned up. It appears that the person who found it didn't log either the cache or the bug. It looks like it moved it's way to atleast 2 caches without being logged before it finally surfaced again. I am glad that I know where it is now, but I would have liked to be able to keep track of it's progress.

I realize that there are reasons that people don't log cache visits but I wish they would atleast log the bug if they take it.

Team My Blue Heaven

Guest My Blue Heaven

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

I thought that one of mine was lost as well but it finally turned up. It appears that the person who found it didn't log either the cache or the bug. It looks like it moved it's way to atleast 2 caches without being logged before it finally surfaced again. I am glad that I know where it is now, but I would have liked to be able to keep track of it's progress.

I realize that there are reasons that people don't log cache visits but I wish they would atleast log the bug if they take it.

Team My Blue Heaven