Caching @ Indiana U & In Bloomington, IN

BaylorGrad

During Thanksgiving, I have the opportunity to visit some family in Bloomington, Indiana. I'm going to be staying just south of the Indiana University campus. For those of you who aren't familiar with Bloomington and IU, the city and the university are just FULL of Geocaches.

So, for those of you who have been in this area, what caches should I make sure to find? Which are the best ones?

I know my chance of finding an answer here is pretty slim, since Bloomington isn't a booming metropolis by any means, but I thought it was worth a shot.

Thanks! :D

BaylorGrad

I cached in Bloomington over spring break. (On purpose because the campus was empty!)

Some of the memorable ones were:

Hide in Plain Sight series by Monstercatambush and Winners and Losers by D J Hobby. If you're into hiking, Monstercatambush has been hiding a whole slew of caches in preparation for a group hike in January. Honestly, I can't remember how far from Bloomington it is, but I don't think it's all that far away. Don't forget the virtual cache at Monroe County Courthouse. (There aren't too many of the virtuals left!)

Thanks for the pointers! :D

Just looked up Winners and Losers--unfortunately it's temporarily archived... I'll definitely be grabbing several of the Hide in Plain Sight series, especially those on campus. I'll be staying about 4 blocks South of campus, and to be honest, I plan on just walking to most of the caches on the South side of campus. Might drive to those on the North side since they're a little more spread out. Does that sound like a good plan?

How do y'all think the caches are on the IU campus? Tough? Luckily, muggles will be minimal because it'll be Thanksgiving Break! :anitongue:

Hey there, Monstercatambush here from Bloomington, Indiana.

I could probably put you onto some good caches around here. We have loads in town, and a lot of very good ones out in the woods. Are you more into looking for urban ones or do you like hiking out into the wilderness. There's also a few that split the difference: Great scenic spots but not too terrible a walk. We also have some pretty substantial hikes with caches out there if that's your type of thing. Let me know and I'll get back with you pretty quick.

I can say that, as late as a couple years ago, Bloomington sucked for caches. Now we're getting to the point where people make this a caching destination.

Welcome to Town!

-Monstercatambush

During Thanksgiving, I have the opportunity to visit some family in Bloomington, Indiana. I'm going to be staying just south of the Indiana University campus. For those of you who aren't familiar with Bloomington and IU, the city and the university are just FULL of Geocaches.

So, for those of you who have been in this area, what caches should I make sure to find? Which are the best ones?

I know my chance of finding an answer here is pretty slim, since Bloomington isn't a booming metropolis by any means, but I thought it was worth a shot.

Thanks! :D

BaylorGrad

Hmmmm... should have read the other posts first!

There's a really good multi called Bucket of Fun that is on campus you should try.

As Jeni notes, the hide in plain sight series is pretty decent, if I do say so myself.

A fairly new one called Historic Treasures is available at the History Center at 6th and Washington. You download a history quiz you can answer from the exhibits.

Among Dead Trees is really clever. Everyone loves that one.

The entire Rails to Trails and Clear Creek Trail area is slathered in caches. One almost every .10 of a mile for several miles.

A couple others in town I like are More Parking Problems and Where's the Fire? Those either get found right away or drive people nuts.

If you do take a little drive you should check out Wow, What a View, Too, down by lake monroe. You can park fairly close, and hike up for a spectacular view of Lake Monroe

If you look up I.U. Geocaching Club they have a six cache challenge going on until the end of November. You have to download the caches from their web page (they're not really posted on geocaching.com) you can get the listings. If you find all six you're entered for a drawing for a gift card. The cacher that hooked that up is Mickey4jes if you want to contact her.

Good luck!

Monstercatambush

WOW, thanks! <_<

I plan to keep most of my caching confined to urban Bloomington, since I will want to spend time with my family (who aren't cachers) in Bloomington. In fact, since they live just south of the IU campus, I'll probably be mostly confined to the IU campus--I'm pretty excited to explore the campus, and I'll definitely check out the multi Bucket of Fun.

Of course, I'll grab a couple of your Hide in Plain Sight series as well. :rolleyes:

Thanks to those of you who reponded! Unfortunately, Wednesday and Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) were rainy and quite cold... Almost too cold to rain. Probably the worst Geocaching weather you can have. I grabbed a few, but I was just miserable doing so... So I waited until Friday morning--still cold, but not disgusting outside. Got to cache a bit on the IU campus, but still not a bunch. Wind chills in the teens kept my searches rapid, and I honestly had more DNFs than finds--but I'm ok with that. I got to explore a beautiful campus, and that was the idea in the first place.

On my way back to Terre Haute from Bloomington, I stopped in McCormick's State Park and grabbed a few additional caches, including my 1st Earthcache!

It was great to meet you, BaylorGrad at the Pi Event! Yes, Thanksgiving weather was not too favorable for caching. I, myself, canceled a Thanksgiving caching adventure due to the crummy weather.

Terre Haute to Bloomington isn't so far though, and now you have some great ideas to plan a return a trip.

I just recommend hitting those campus caches whenever school isn't in session. Luckily, Christmas break is fast approaching!

In fact, if you plan a trip there over Christmas break, let me know. I'd be interested in meeting you there and doing some more caching in B'ton!