Can I replace a muggled Cache if the owner has it marked as unavailable?

You can adopt... but only if the cache owner gives you permission. This is the link for offering caches (or trackables) for adoption:

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

If you can't get any response from the cache owner and the cache (as in this case) has been disabled for a long time then the process is to first put a Needs Maintenance log on the cache.

If this has already been done and the owner has done nothing (i.e. no response, no note about "Will replace soon" on the cache page) then you can put a Needs Archive log on the cache, mentioning that you have tried to contact the owner yourself. The reviewers receive emails of all NA logs. A reviewer will look at the cache situation and act accordingly. Usually this means that they give the owner notification that if they don't repair/replace the cache within x days it will be archived.

MrsB

You can adopt... but only if the cache owner gives you permission. This is the link for offering caches (or trackables) for adoption:

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

If you can't get any response from the cache owner and the cache (as in this case) has been disabled for a long time then the process is to first put a Needs Maintenance log on the cache.

If this has already been done and the owner has done nothing (i.e. no response, no note about "Will replace soon" on the cache page) then you can put a Needs Archive log on the cache, mentioning that you have tried to contact the owner yourself. The reviewers receive emails of all NA logs. A reviewer will look at the cache situation and act accordingly. Usually this means that they give the owner notification that if they don't repair/replace the cache within x days it will be archived.

MrsB

Hmm, I can only adopt a cache if I've been asked to. The CO hasn't replied to my email (sent a few weeks ago) so I'm assuming they won't be inviting me any time soon :D

It's marked as needs maintenance already and the CO added the note "Will re-place in new location nearby ASAP" but that was back in April. I don;t want to upset the CO by logging a NA so maybe I should email them again?

Cheers, Rob

Hmm, I can only adopt a cache if I've been asked to. The CO hasn't replied to my email (sent a few weeks ago) so I'm assuming they won't be inviting me any time soon :D

It's marked as needs maintenance already and the CO added the note "Will re-place in new location nearby ASAP" but that was back in April. I don;t want to upset the CO by logging a NA so maybe I should email them again?

Cheers, Rob

Pop a NA log on it. Don't be shy :anitongue:

Sounds to me like the CO has had ample opportunity to sort things out and either archive or replace the cache. I mean, April ??

Seems like the sort of situation that the NA log was invented for.

Just keep in mind that the NA log is not a slight on the character of the CO and while some seem to take it a bit personally they shouldn't. I see it as a final nudge to get a cache sorted out or removed from the listings. And that is necessary to keep the game flowing for everyone.

Disabled and missing caches that sit there for months are a pain and need to be dealt with. If the CO has not shown willing to sort it out then a reviewer needs to get involved to force their hand.

(Edited for typos - been out putting up the town's christmas lights all day and my fingers don't work any more)

Edited by Lovejoy and Tinker

No, not exactly... You can only adopt a cache if the CO gives their permission and is willing to transfer the listing to you. It's fine if you make the first move and ask a CO if they would allow you to adopt their cache. :anitongue:

This all goes back to the fact that Groundspeak is only a listing site for caches. That means that "they" can not give you permission to adopt a sad/failing/pushing up daisies cache. The container belongs to the CO so the permission has to come from them - That's why the CO has to be the one to say, "OK, you can take over my cache - here's the adoption paper."

MrsB

why not save everyone's time and just replace the missing cache. as long as you now it's definitely gone, and you know it's exact position. log it as a find too, if you haven't done so before. it would be a mean owner that thought you were stepping on their toes. email the owner too if you wish. <_<

why not save everyone's time and just replace the missing cache. as long as you now it's definitely gone, and you know it's exact position. log it as a find too, if you haven't done so before. it would be a mean owner that thought you were stepping on their toes. email the owner too if you wish. <_<

If the owner hasn't maintained this one why are they likely to maintain a new one? Why not just mark the cache as Needs Archived and then when it's archived place a new cache? At least that way the new cache can be maintained even if the old one wasn't.

Why not just mark the cache as Needs Archived and then when it's archived place a new cache?

Absolutely; improve the hide with a new twist (container, camoflage, location) and make it your own. That way you'll attract finders of the original cache back to find your cache and get a new smiley. Caches get fewer finders as they get older, so you're helping keep the game fresh

NA has just been logged.

You've now joined the "super grass" caching club.

If your lucky the matter will get sorted.

If not, then watch your back.

It happens, I can assure you!

I'd have emailed the local lackey to do the dirty work. That's what they signed up for.

It's that attitude, that stops cachers from posting 'Needs Maintenence' logs.

Caches get no maintenance, then degrade, no one dare post 'Needs Archived' and caches then set bad examples to new cachers, who come along and ask...

My advice?

Post a Needs Maintenance -even for a full log book, if others have mention the log book getting full in their logs- if no action is taken post 'Needs Archived' it's sometimes all a cache owner needs to 'get things sorted' or the cache gets archived by a reviewer. (Better 'sooner than later')

If you are worried about come-back from fellow cachers, email your local reviewer about your concerns about the cache.

If the cache owner isn't looking after the existing cache, their not going to look after a replacement cache dropped in it's place by another cacher.

If you're doing the maintenance, you might as well have control over the listing, either as an adoptee owner, or as owner of a new cache.

NEVER be afraid to post a 'Needs Archived' if the cache needs putting out of it's misery!

why not save everyone's time and just replace the missing cache.

I'm failing to see the logic behind this statement, as doing this wouldn't alter the status of the hide

which the OP states has

been marked as unavailable since April.

just because it's seemingly unavailable, doesn't mean it's not there to be found.

You post a log to advise it's current state.

PS...the ragged bear seems to spend most of his time defending NM logs.

That's not my argument.

I think NM logs are crucial and I act upon them within days.

NA logs are another matter entirely.

Edited by currykev

why not save everyone's time and just replace the missing cache.

I'm failing to see the logic behind this statement, as doing this wouldn't alter the status of the hide

which the OP states has

been marked as unavailable since April.

just because it's seemingly unavailable, doesn't mean it's not there to be found.

You post a log to advise it's current state.

PS...the ragged bear seems to spend most of his time defending NM logs.

That's not my argument.

I think NM logs are crucial and I act upon them within days.

NA logs are another matter entirely.

If it's disabled and has been for months why would anyone go out to find it? I specifically set my pocket queries to exclude anything that isn't active. If it shows as disabled on the map it's reasonable to assume that either it definitely isn't there or probably isn't there.

Why not just get the thing archived and have a new cache placed that will be maintained? I don't get the issue with having an unmaintained cache archived so a new one can be placed with a new owner who can enable it, mark it as being maintained and do all the things the existing owner apparently isn't doing.

You've now joined the "super grass" caching club.

If your lucky the matter will get sorted.

If not, then watch your back.

It happens, I can assure you!

Oh dear ..... the caching-mob! :laughing: :D

It's that attitude, that stops cachers from posting 'Needs Maintenence' logs...

NEVER be afraid to post a 'Needs Archived' if the cache needs putting out of it's misery!

Yup! not like they are going to come round your house and boil your pet rabbit is it? .....

Watch your back? ...... :unsure:;);)

::Sorry but that did make me laugh soooo much. B) ::

I did it there was a cache by me GCNDHE which was in a really bad state

i sent the owner request of taking on the cache so i

reported it to be archived there was at least 5 reports of maintenance needed over a year

and now its gone but i have put 3 near by but i did want to take it on :(

i still feel guilty about it though :(

why not save everyone's time and just replace the missing cache. as long as you now it's definitely gone, and you know it's exact position. log it as a find too, if you haven't done so before. it would be a mean owner that thought you were stepping on their toes. email the owner too if you wish. :)

There is more to owning a cache than simply replacing/repairing a container. Caches need to have an owner who responds to queries from Land Owners and other cachers who have questions or concerns. We should not have to continually ask for a cache to be maintained simply to repeat the cycle after someone assumes they are doing the community a favor by replacing an owner-less cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a-42468741e4cf#

iv asked if i can adopt this cache,il move it few mtr and its well worth keeping,,what do you think?

It's a beautiful spot in the forest but it's also "Muggle Central" at weekends and holidays so if you do manage to adopt it it might be better to move it quite a lot of mtr further away from the brook than where the current location is showing.

Good luck.

MrsB