Travel bug fopah?

Billham

I have found 2 trackers in the same cache and took both being so new i was real excited about this. When i got home my wife asked if i was supposed to take both of them hmm good question. So i wanted to know just in case this happens again what is considered the proper thing to do so i dont make a mistake .

When i got home my wife asked if i was supposed to take both of them hmm good question.
It is important to properly log where and when you took the bugs, and where/when you placed them. Documenting several Travel Bugs among several caches can get confusing fast (well, at least for me). Then you need to find a cache to place them into in a reasonable time -- and maybe not all with fit into one cache due to size. So the limit may be the number of TBs you can comfortably deal with at once. Edited by kunarion

I usually go by how active the cache is. If there is more than one traveler and the cache is a busy one, I'll just take one so that someone else can have a chance to move one. If the cache isn't popular, then I would take what's there just to get them moving.

Do me a favor. If you find one of my bugs, pick it up and move it.

Thanks.

I usually go by how active the cache is. If there is more than one traveler and the cache is a busy one, I'll just take one so that someone else can have a chance to move one. If the cache isn't popular, then I would take what's there just to get them moving.

Do me a favor. If you find one of my bugs, pick it up and move it.

Thanks.

Jeesh! No need to be snippy. That's just how I play. I mean, it's a bit of a bummer if you saw that there were a couple bugs at a cache site, and then when you get there find that someone right before you took all of them. It would be understandable if people didn't visit it often, but if there are visitors most weekends, the bug is going to move soon.

A related question... Is it OK to move multiple bugs to the same cache? I just started caching and really enjoy moving travel bugs. I just moved two to Hawaii a few weeks ago. :laughing: My work allows me to travel at times, so I intend to find a couple bugs to bring with me each time. When I get to the destination, I might not have time to find more than one cache. Would it be OK to put both in the same cache at my destination? I noticed several locally that have been in the caches since as long ago as May. The caches have been active, but nobody seems to want to take the bugs.

Thanks!

-Mike-

Edited by Squishy1
Would it be OK to put both in the same cache at my destination? I noticed several locally that have been in the caches since as long ago as May.
Yes, if they all fit, they can all go into one container. I always check the logs to be sure trackables aren't mysteriously going missing -- TBs listed may not actually be there anymore. If a container seems rather "muggled" (found often by non-cachers, so may have candy wrappers and other trash inside), consider holding those poor TBs just a little longer. But it's fine to drop off as many as you like, anyway.

Just a thought. If you're planning a trip, you could put a message in a regional forum on this board. Someone may be willing to meet you and get the TBs moving.

Edited by kunarion

Two bugs might be fine but the main issue is the more bugs sitting in a cache the greater the loss when it's muggled.

Is the cache visited quite often? Do people tend to take them from this cache? Does the cache empty out from time to time? Are there trade restrictions that get in the way of moving bugs along?

If it's a slow moving cache I really wouldn't go above 3 bugs sitting in it at once.

Two bugs might be fine but the main issue is the more bugs sitting in a cache the greater the loss when it's muggled.

Is the cache visited quite often? Do people tend to take them from this cache? Does the cache empty out from time to time? Are there trade restrictions that get in the way of moving bugs along?

If it's a slow moving cache I really wouldn't go above 3 bugs sitting in it at once.

Thank you both! I will try to put the two in two different caches if I have time. I will also look at the cache activity before choosing a location to drop them. Headed to Atlanta from Minnesota in a couple weeks so its a good chance to put some miles on some bugs.

Thanks again!

-Mike-

Check ahead on the Minnesota caches that you want to visit to make sure they're accessible in winter and bring boots.

Good point! Luckily there is very little snow here so far. That will definitely change. I hadn't thought about it before, but I bet there are a lot of bugs that get trapped under the snow all winter. Probably would be inaccessible until April.

I know that the cache I found yesterday will be inaccessible as soon as it snows. There was a travel bug in that one too and it has been there for a couple months. Once the snow flies, it will be trapped all winter. Maybe I should go back and grab that one for the trip too.

Ha! I feel like I have a mission now. I have to liberate the travel bugs in caches that will be buried by snow before they become inaccessible and have to hibernate for the winter.

-Mike-

Bill, I took the liberty of checking on what you did with the trackables, and as an owner of a few I see no problem. You did do a discover on the one instead of a retrieve, but that is no big deal as the software still corrected the traveler's position when you dropped it. It just showed as in the last cache for an extra few hours instead of in your possession.

Glad you thought to question and make sure of what you were doing. Welcome to the madness. errrrr game.

Bill, I took the liberty of checking on what you did with the trackables, and as an owner of a few I see no problem. You did do a discover on the one instead of a retrieve, but that is no big deal as the software still corrected the traveler's position when you dropped it. It just showed as in the last cache for an extra few hours instead of in your possession.

Glad you thought to question and make sure of what you were doing. Welcome to the madness. errrrr game.

Today I found a cache with 8 trackables, yes, eight. 6 were travel bugs, and 2 were geocoins. I took 3 travel bugs and 1 geocoin since I know they're safe in my hands and that I will log them, and pass them on. From the ones I didn't pick, two had pretty specific goals that I couldn't help out, and I left the other two for others to find.

There's alot of travel bugs that were listed for the cache but weren't there when I showed up. It seems like alot of trackables go missing, or randomly appear (without being logged) from the cache that I found them in. I feel like I probably should have picked up the other two with non-specific goals because of the caches tendency to lose or gain trackables mysteriously.

No faux pas there. If you can help them along on the misson the owner has set have at it. That being said I try not to make a habit of cleaning out a TB hotel or takng every TB I see. I figure some family with a little kid is gonna come to find a aTB and be disappointed when there are none.

And just to add a bit to this, if you're not going to move them please try to note in your log that they are still present in the cache. Or, even better 'discover' them, just to let the TB owner know everything's still good.

Cheers!