Unlock Topo 2k on Garmin 62S

schmidtbaby

I just download a section of the SE Topo 2k to my 62s using "Map Install" , but when I go to Select Map in the menu , it is not there. Only maps shown are Congeree and North America, which I presume were already on there.

When I go to Basecamp, the Unlock feature for 24K is greyed out

Can someone please explain how I'm supposed to associate this map to my device?

Thanks,

But where does the section of 24K I downloaded into the SD card show up in the memory - under Choose Map -

I have a map of Cameroon and a North America Base Map - which I presume is what it came loaded with ?

How do I make my 62S use the 24K data ?

When I go to Basecamp, the Unlock feature for 24K is greyed out
That makes sense, Garmin's 24K Topos are NOT locked. At least the set I have are not locked.

When you connect the 62s to the computer, what maps (*.img) files do you see on the unit or in the sd card? I have installed my maps through mapsource which will overwrite previous maps, so I used this procedure for renaming maps. Perhaps you do not have to worry about this using mapinstall.

But in any event, I would start by looking at the files in the garmin folder on your unit or sd card and seeing if the map actually is there and appears to have transferred over. If it is on the sd card, does the sd card show up on your computer? It is possible that there is a problem with the card.

If the map you installed is there, you might try reinstalling the maps - somebody reported in the thread linked above that this worked for them.

Edited by mulvaney

I have:

gmapsupp - 990meg

gmapbmap - 42meg

gmaptz - 52 k

When you connect the 62s to the computer, what maps (*.img) files do you see on the unit or in the sd card? I have installed my maps through mapsource which will overwrite previous maps, so I used this procedure for renaming maps.

So I would start by looking at the files in the garmin folder on your unit or sd card and seeing if the map actually is there. If the map you installed is there, you might try reinstalling the maps - somebody reported in the thread linked above that this worked for them.

gmapsupp - 990meg

gmapbmap - 42meg

gmaptz - 52 k

gmapsupp - 990meg These are the maps that Mapsource or Mapinstall makes. 990M is a very large file, several states at 24K

gmapbmap - 42meg This is the base map

gmaptz - 52 k This is the time zone map for automatically setting local time

Are you able to see the SE 24K maps in Basecamp? You mention Cameroon, is that a Garmin map? Have you tried loading just the SE 24K maps?

I'd try backing up every file on your 62s, then delete gmapsupp.img, then try installing a few segments of SE 24K w/ Mapinstall.

I believe gmapsupp is the 24 k maps, but it is (actually labeled congeree and cameron ?????)

I do see topo contours on my map. and it appears to be from the 24k, but why is called congeree and cameron?

thx

gmapsupp - 990meg

gmapbmap - 42meg

gmaptz - 52 k

gmapsupp - 990meg These are the maps that Mapsource or Mapinstall makes. 990M is a very large file, several states at 24K

gmapbmap - 42meg This is the base map

gmaptz - 52 k This is the time zone map for automatically setting local time

Are you able to see the SE 24K maps in Basecamp? You mention Cameroon, is that a Garmin map? Have you tried loading just the SE 24K maps?

I'd try backing up every file on your 62s, then delete gmapsupp.img, then try installing a few segments of SE 24K w/ Mapinstall.

I believe gmapsupp is the 24 k maps, but it is (actually labeled congeree and cameron ?????)
My 62s identifies some of my maps by their segments. If there is a map segment that corresponds to these names, that would be it.
Ah Ha!!!

In Mapsource, the map set name is automatically set to the first map segment(s) in the list. Garmin names all their segment after USGS Quads, so those are the names in the list. MapInstall must do the same. You can rename the mapset anything you want in Mapsource, I'll bet Mapinstall can too.

Is it possible that you are not physically where your maps are? If so, use the base map at say 50-mi, then go to where the maps should be and then zoom in. If the 62s has a signal, it'll be where you're at, not the map location.