Garmin GPSMAP 62s & st

TeamGoyer

Basically the ST model has preloaded TOPO maps where the S does not but there are a few sites where you can download maps for free to Garmin units. The ST has less internal memory, probably due to the preloaded maps, 500 mb compared to 1.7 gb for the S model. Lastley, they are colored differently :anibad: .

Here is a link to the Garmins site comparing the two models. Good luck, both would be good units.

Interesting how the S model has more memor then the St. Sometehing to investigate.

Thanks for the responses, this really assists with a decission.

Out of thought, how much memory is consumed with the average map? is it alot of memory space thats required like for example North America?

Jason

:-)

Interesting how the S model has more memor then the St. Sometehing to investigate.

Out of thought, how much memory is consumed with the average map? is it alot of memory space thats required like for example North America?

Jason

they don't take much if you load them by where you are going. i have all of MB and part of ON on mine and i stil l have 6+GB on my memory card (it's an 8gb).

you could probably load ALL of canada Garmin TOPO CANADA on an 8GB and still have room left over.

i think i paid $14.99 for a Kingston Micro SD with adapter at Dell.ca with free shipping when it was on sale.

Jason

they don't take much if you load them by where you are going. i have all of MB and part of ON on mine and i stil l have 6+GB on my memory card (it's an 8gb).

you could probably load ALL of canada Garmin TOPO CANADA on an 8GB and still have room left over.

i think i paid $14.99 for a Kingston Micro SD with adapter at Dell.ca with free shipping when it was on sale.

Ok. So reglardless with the Canadian maps or US / North america loaded on the St version you still would require and SD card if I"m right? Hey, thanks for the help!. this is great.

While this is mainly true, there are limits.

You are limited to ~4000 individual map segments as well as 4GB in a single compiled map set file (FAT32 rule)

Using Garmin's TopoCan V2 as an example: the complete map set is 3.42GB but is 7316 map segments so as a single map file it would be ok for size but not for segments.

TopoCan V4 uses larger map tiles: 1225 map segments but is larger as a single map file at 5.21GB

So you could use all of TopoCan V4 but you would have to break it into 2 separate maps (south of 60 is 548 segments and 2.98gb)

I am not saying that the OP wants all of Canada Topos on his gps, just clarifying a point.

While this is mainly true, there are limits.

You are limited to ~4000 individual map segments as well as 4GB in a single compiled map set file (FAT32 rule)

Using Garmin's TopoCan V2 as an example: the complete map set is 3.42GB but is 7316 map segments so as a single map file it would be ok for size but not for segments.

TopoCan V4 uses larger map tiles: 1225 map segments but is larger as a single map file at 5.21GB

So you could use all of TopoCan V4 but you would have to break it into 2 separate maps (south of 60 is 548 segments and 2.98gb)

I am not saying that the OP wants all of Canada Topos on his gps, just clarifying a point.

yeah, unless you are driving form 1 coast the the other, you don't need it all on a card. but like you said, if you do, you just put it on as "east canada" and "west canada".

AH okay.

So its only segments the majority of the time your able to install without decreasing your memory significantly.

So for example, if one has the topo of Canada. You would simply install the topo for Ontario if you wish for your journey, depending on your memory expantion aswell? Correct me on this if I'm wrong.

To through a bit of another question in here, I've been reading about 50k topo's. Does the mean the elevation or the details that are displayed?

To through a bit of another question in here, I've been reading about 50k topo's. Does the mean the elevation or the details that are displayed?

They're very expensive! :D

Kidding. It's the level of detail. Since you're in Canada, you might want to consider Garmin Topo V4 which you can get for about $100 after taxes at GPSCity.ca or GPSCentral.ca

AH okay.

So its only segments the majority of the time your able to install without decreasing your memory significantly.

So for example, if one has the topo of Canada. You would simply install the topo for Ontario if you wish for your journey, depending on your memory expantion aswell? Correct me on this if I'm wrong.

yeah, i only load up MB and part of ON when we go camping. i don't need SK, AB, and the rest of the country on there if i'm not near.

you can get FREE maps from ibycus. send me a PM if you need help finding them. they are FREE and LEGAL, no funny business. they work fine for caching.