Hello from some newbies

Thefosters40

Hello everyone.

Back from my first outing today and had a great time. My wife got an iphone about three weeks ago and then showed me this geocache thing that i thought would be fun, and it bloody was. we got soaking wet but found our first four caches in plessy woods in Northumberland and even met some more cashers who had come from about 80 miles away.

So i'm hooked, but was a bit disappointed with the iphone gps can anyone recommend something better for the purpose. I like the idea of having a compass and a map but the phone proved too unreliable.

I have seen this and was wondering what your thoughts are

Garmin GPS 60 GPS Receiver.

Any good for geocaching?

thanks

The Fosters

Hi,

welcome to Geocaching. I started caching with the Etrex yellow. After about a year of caching I then bought the GPSmap 60 and now have a GPSmap 60Cx. Both the GPSmap 60 and the GPSmap 60Cx can show maps, the GPSmap 60Cx has a coloured display. It depends on what you have as a budget or rather what you would like to spend. There are other GPS-devices arround best thing to do is look at Garmins internet site and then decide. Have fun with Geocaching.

Hello everyone.

Back from my first outing today and had a great time. My wife got an iphone about three weeks ago and then showed me this geocache thing that i thought would be fun, and it bloody was. we got soaking wet but found our first four caches in plessy woods in Northumberland and even met some more cashers who had come from about 80 miles away.

So i'm hooked, but was a bit disappointed with the iphone gps can anyone recommend something better for the purpose. I like the idea of having a compass and a map but the phone proved too unreliable.

Any good for geocaching?

thanks

The Fosters

The GPS 60 was my first GPS (only a year ago) and did a grand job but it didn't take me long to realise I wanted maps too so went for the Oregon 300 (but that is only because I'm spoilt like that)

I must say though, that i purchased my GPS60 from new off EBay for £60.

Sold it 6 months later for £50... and it has just been sold on again for £50.

I think that says it all really: its a good starter till you know if you are going to stick with the hobby and then upgrade.

It was a tough little GPS and never let me down.

Hello and welcome :anibad:

Will very much depend on your budget really. All the models will do the job well - the bits inside are much the same - but if you buy more expensive ones you will get things like mapping, colour screens and other extras.

I also started with a GPS60 - perfectly good unit, but others such as the Etrex yellow or the Geko perform exactly the same.

One advantage the GPS60 will have over some others is that it's USB - so if you plan to download directly from your computer to the unit (rather than inputting manually) then you don't have to buy a seperate cable.

Hello everyone.

Any good for geocaching?

thanks

The Fosters

I bought a GPSMap 60CS many years ago and subsequently replaced it with the GPSMap 60CSx. If you've got the budget I'd go for the CSx, it can take a microSD card so you've got more space for maps etc.

If you don't want the electronic compass and barometric altimeter you can save a bit of money and get the 60Cx instead.

Another advantage is that the CSx has a more sensitive GPS chipset than the CS - while out caching using both (I had one, my wife had the other) the 60CS frequently lost GPS signal while under trees while the CSx didn't drop once.

thanks very much guys, tell me though, should we be giving up on the iphone so easily? it's an iphone geocashing app ver 4.2

Whatever the application, if the GPS receiver in the phone isn't up to the job then you'll struggle with the old problem of GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). If the GPS receiver isn't getting your location right then you could have the best software in the world and you'd still struggle to find caches.

I'm not familiar with the iPhone's GPS hardware so can't really comment on it. If you're finding that under tree cover it loses signal, and you're happy to spend the money to replace it, you might as well get a new one as struggle with something that's not up to the job.

thanks very much guys, tell me though, should we be giving up on the iphone so easily? it's an iphone geocashing app ver 4.2

I first started caching with a Blackberry Storm (how I found out about geocaching) for the first 3 weeks or so and DNF'd loads.

Now besides using my GPS I have a iPhone 3gs (for pics and sat view only)and let me tell you!

I have compared it only once or twice to my GPS and it took me at least 30 feet off the cache.

Not a bad thing if you have time to search?

But the GPS takes me to the spot.

But ........... saying that ..... if someone sets a cache with his/her phone then .... I'm still off by 30 feet or so.

Then it's down to the cachers eye and that takes a few finds to master. :anibad:

::I'm still working on that!::

No, of course not. The app works fine when finding a cache (usually!). You need a data connection for it to work properly. There are other apps you can use that turn it into a 'hand held' GPS which allow you to use it offline. The main problem with it is the accuracy of the coordinates displayed when using it to place a cache and record coordinates. It can be perfectly accurate but its understanding how it works and how it derives the coordinates that is the problem! Take a look at my resource site for a more detailed explanation.

I'd personally recommend a handheld GPS. There are plenty to choose from depending on your budget. Again on my resource site I've tried to put together the information you need to help you decide.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus

I'm not a fan of using phones to cache with.

But. Having said that, if you find yourself somewhere with a chance to cache, use the phone.

Also going back to the cache page on the website -whilst searching for a cache- to be able to read the previous logs, has to be a big plus in a phones favour.

But as to being rugged enough to stand up to a days caching, and having a battery that will last that long, it's got to be a handheld GPS.

If you want 'maps' with the unit, check out talkytoasters free maps.

Will fill a gap, if you want to save a few pounds now, but want 'proper OS' maps at a date when you've saved the pennies.

Edited by Bear and Ragged