Time Settings

HEADLANDERS

Even though I have set my date Time setting to 'Greenwich Mean Time (United Kingdom)' in my Profile Settings, when I post a log or edit a log it puts a timestamp on it which is 8 hours behind (Pacific USA time I guess).

How can I overcome this?. Is there some other place I haven't found to change the settings?.

Bill.

This message board has a time zone setting, but it's separate from your Geocaching account time zone setting. Have you fixed both?

Yes, I reset them in both places several times to try to overcome this.

Does logging out of gc.com and back in again after you've selected GMT help? I know with some things, that's the way to get them to "take" or be accepted.

I've tried this but it still doesn't change the behaviour I see.

Bill.

This message board has a time zone setting, but it's separate from your Geocaching account time zone setting. Have you fixed both?

I looked at a couple of your recent cache logs (PamplinMan's, too). They don't have time stamps. Can you be more specific about what the problem is? Edited by kunarion

I looked at a couple of your recent cache logs (PamplinMan's, too). They don't have time stamps. Can you be more specific about what the problem is?

I can give you an example of exactly what I mean.

Have a look at the logs to cache GC2HHWQ. You will see a Maintenance' log by ourselves dated November 20. We edited that log at 09.45h and I made a note of that within the edited text. However, when you look at the automated 'edit' dates/time added at the bottom of the log you will see that it is given as 01:48:15 which is exactly 8h earlier than the local time here.

I repeat that my time-zone setting is correct in my 'Geocaching.com' profile 'Your Account Details' and after just re-checking it is selected as: 'GMT Greenwich Mean Time.

Any help to understand this would be appreciated.

Bill.

Edited by Headlanders
Have a look at the logs to cache GC2HHWQ. You will see a Maintenance' log by ourselves dated November 20. We edited that log at 09.45h and I made a note of that within the edited text. However, when you look at the automated 'edit' dates/time added at the bottom of the log you will see that it is given as 01:48:15 which is exactly 8h earlier than the local time here.

I repeat that my time-zone setting is correct in my 'Geocaching.com' profile 'Your Account Details' and after just re-checking it is selected as: 'GMT Greenwich Mean Time.

Any help to understand this would be appreciated.

I see it now. I tried changing my time zone, and all log entries do the exact same thing. That must be normal operation.

Compare the log's time to the "current time" shown at the bottom of the cache page, and it's correct, using server time. It makes sense to use one consistent time zone, since the line "this entry was edited at" needs to be in a true timeline. The log text (that saved time stamp) is not dynamic, so it cannot update for time zone like it can here on the forum. You might have seen a similar issue when posting a log after midnight and having to manually select the correct day. It's a feature, not a bug. :lol:

I'm underwhelmed with the time stamp, since I love to change the text a lot (due to discovering huge mistakes later). But it's valuable to know which logs are fiddled with after the fact.

Sorry it took me so long to understand what you were asking. :rolleyes:

Edited by kunarion

Compare the log's time to the "current time" shown at the bottom of the cache page, and it's correct. It makes sense to use one consistent time zone, since the line "this entry was edited at" needs to be in a true timeline. The log text (that saved time code) is not dynamic, so it cannot update for time zone like it can here on the forum. It's a feature, not a bug. :rolleyes:

Right, I understand the reason for this. It all makes sense now.

I do have a more concerning issue regarding log date stamps and an inconsistency between viewing logs on the web site and viewing on the iPhone app. My personal belief is that the 'app' has the error. I will repeat this issue here for other who may not have seen the other posts as it is related:

'When a log is edited on the web site, the original 'logging' date stays the same which is quite important. However, using the iPhone app the 'log date' is always shown as the date that the log was actually last updated. This is confusing for both the finder and others. It puts thing out of chronological order.

Please make these dates appear the same in the app as on the web site.

---my belief is that their is a bug in the iPhone App which is resulting in the wrong database field being selected for displaying the 'logged' date in the 'app'. The date being picked up by the 'app' display is in fact the date the last time the log was either created or even edited. This is not helpful at all as people viewing past logs want the date to represent that when the cache was actually found.

I would hope for a change in the code in the 'App' so that it matches the log dates shown on the web site.

Bill.

I think the problem is with the database rather than any phone app.

Currently any entry reflects the database date/time (8 hrs behind GMT at present). What would be useful would be for all entries to be dated and timed as per the users time zone as set in user preferences.

There is currently a suggestion under review on the feedback site ( click here ) for dates (and hopefully times) to be set as per users country/time zone preferences.

It'd be nice to see my logs show the 'real' time they were logged, rather than that of some other time zone :rolleyes:

*edited to correct/add url code*

Edited by geobrian-