Oldest Surviving Logbook

mblatch

Does anyone happen to know where the oldest surviving original logbook is? I know there are still a few old caches from 2000 out there, but I wasn't sure if most of those had been replaced or if any still had the original logbook.

I think I know why you're asking :angry: And while I never really thought about it in that context... the possibility is pretty cool.

Seems to me that when I found Mingo a couple of years ago, there was more than 1 logbook in it, and there may have been 3. Can't recall if they went all the way back to the beginning of time or not. I have one from Nov 6, 2001; which was a replacement log for a muggled cache, GC11ARQ.

I think we probably have a winner with that one. gerbiL cacHe here in NJ still has the original log, but it is from 25 Nov 2000.

I'm pretty sure that "The Spot" (GC39) still has it's original logbook and it was published 05/26/2000 which beats GCD by almost a month.

I think when I found "The Spot", I mentioned the original logbook in my find log, and received an email from an old pal who was one of the 90+ people on the watchlist saying it wasn't.

But since we both say "I think", I guess we're not sure. I know I'm not. :angry:

I think we probably have a winner with that one. gerbiL cacHe here in NJ still has the original log, but it is from 25 Nov 2000.

I'm pretty sure that "The Spot" (GC39) still has it's original logbook and it was published 05/26/2000 which beats GCD by almost a month.

I think when I found "The Spot", I mentioned the original logbook in my find log, and received an email from an old pal who was one of the 90+ people on the watchlist saying it wasn't.

But since we both say "I think", I guess we're not sure. I know I'm not. :anibad:

Looks like buttaskotch found it last weekend. Perhaps she can confirm.

Look at the log for RCA777 (one of the cachers that found it on Nov. 13). It has a photo of a page in the log book from gpsfool that's dated June 2, 2001 and mentions that the log was damp but not that it was replaced. If you look at the log entry on that date by GPS Fool (the CO) it indicates that he read all the log entries that had been posted so far. That looks to me like pretty good evidence that the original log book is still in the cache. I found it interesting that the first found it log was on Feb 10, 2001, almost nine months after the cache was placed.

I have never thought of this; but I think it would be pretty neat to look back at such an old logbook... interesting thread!

Look at the photo gallery for GCD. A visitor right after me took photos of every page of the logbook. If I recall correctly, Jeremy Irish was second to find.

That was a cool cache, which had me hiking in snow at the top of the mountain on July 4th weekend.

"The Spot" has been on my to-do list for forever. It's in the same general part of Central New York where my mom is buried, so maybe next time I visit.

GCC4C Lunar Landing

Hidden: 06/13/2001

First "found it" log: June 22, 2001

[Found it] June 22, 2008 by Pup Patrol (242 found)

Wow...we finally found Lunar Landing. Imagine my surprise to open what turned out to be the original log book and see the first find recorded June 22, 2001. Here we are exactly seven years later and the log book is in excellent condition. Apparently, the deerfly situation today is the same!

I've always regretted not taking pictures of the pages in the logbook for Mountain Marsh. We found it in 2005, and it was hidden on 5/28/00 (I'm pretty sure it was the 6th cache to be placed in the U.S.). It was hidden by Mike Teague, and early finders were people like Dave Ulmer and Jeremy, and many others. It was washed away almost two years later. :)

It was one of my coolest geocaching experiences, going through that logbook. Still kicking myself. :laughing::anibad:

65e054ac-ad58-4283-a44e-00d30d8c52f7.jpg

e140b53f-c95c-4906-8cc0-e1d5c2d52b93.jpg

GCB6 - Yellow River Stash in Georgia was hidden 11/2000 and it had 3 or 4 log books of all the old logs. That was pretty neat to read because, as others have mentioned, it was more than just names or TFTCs. There was stories about the trip to it, the weather that day, etc. They were very cool to look through.

Yuppers, The Spot Still has the original log book. I have a picture, but the website had been particularly ornery lately and isn't letting me upload them.

With a hidden date 05/26/2000 that would make it the oldest surviving logbook I've seen so far in this thread. The only active caches with earlier dates are Mingo (GC30), GC12, Beverly (GC28), and Lane's Cove (GC3E) in Austrailia.

Well, it's by no means anywhere near the oldest cache with it's original logbook, but a local cache that I adopted Tucker's Trove (hidden 3/3/02) still has it's 'original' logbook. The cache was heavily damaged in a wildfire, but the logbook contents survived mostly intact (but incredibly fragile). I scanned in and reprinted all the pages, and have bound them into a 'new original' logbook with plenty more new blank pages added. I think it turned out pretty well. Scanned Logbook Pages

It is both interesting and a little sad to see the length of the logs go down over the years. TFTC!

I am curious as to why the OP was asking - if for other than general curiosity...

Well, it's by no means anywhere near the oldest cache with it's original logbook, but a local cache that I adopted Tucker's Trove (hidden 3/3/02) still has it's 'original' logbook. The cache was heavily damaged in a wildfire, but the logbook contents survived mostly intact (but incredibly fragile). I scanned in and reprinted all the pages, and have bound them into a 'new original' logbook with plenty more new blank pages added. I think it turned out pretty well. Scanned Logbook Pages

It is both interesting and a little sad to see the length of the logs go down over the years. TFTC!

I am curious as to why the OP was asking - if for other than general curiosity...

Good job on scanning the pages and preserving the log. Thanks for posting. People actually, for the most part, made a log entry that described their hunt or the day or what they were doing when they found the cache...

The Wright Cache has its original logbook. This was placed back in the day when it was not uncommon to place a disposable camera in the cache so people could photo-document their find as well.

I had recovered the camera and posted the pics to the cache page. It was not a requirement to take a picture but most people did and always fun to look through. Kind of like preserving a bit of geocache history.