explaining a bug to airport security....

bug_zapper

Along the lines of a topic I saw in another forum here, what happens if a bug gets taken away from you by big brother? Should we carry some sort of paper in advance saying what geocaching is?

...uh well officer, I am into this mysterious treasure hunt/navigation type game and uh, you see these tagged things need to go with me as part of the game and well uh, no that grenade is a hitchhiker and uh,

well, there's enough keywords in there to get NSA triggered. Anyway, give it some thoght. I have a couple-a bugs I'm putting in my luggage. No problems yet but I'd be curious what y'all have to say.

I can't see why a bug would be taken away at the airport unless it was attached to something that is not permitted on a plane. If the item it is attached to is not permitted on a plane, I don't think a note explaining what geocaching is will do any good.

It's easy. Carry the prohibited bug (knife, grenade, what-have-you), plus another piece of contraband.

I inadvertantly went through security with a corkscrew in my bag. I heard the security guard x-raying the bag say something about a corkscrew... and so I got to experience taking my shoes off and having another guard open my bag.

I pointed out the zipped pocket in which the corkscrew was located. She took it out, informed me that it couldn't go on the plane, and then asked me if there was anything else in the bag.

I told her there wasn't, she handed me my bag, and off I went.

Although I also got searched at the terminal... funny story there, but it's of an adult nature, so you'll have to imagine it.

Jamie

Fuzzy handcuffs?

Oh wait, that was a poor girl in front of me in a security line at an airport in Germany. With everyone watching they did make her put the handcuffs in a brown paper bag and gave them to the pilot for the duration of the flight. (true story)

Talk about lapses in security....

I recently traveled w/ my GPS, spare batteries, a walkman, headphones, PDA, more batteries, & my SCUBA dive computers (2), regulators, gauge console, misc other electronics, all in one carry on. The bag went through x-ray & since the dive stuff is epoxy sealed pc boards with hoses connected to the gauges you can imagine what it looked like on the xray screen along with all the batteries. One screener said "What's in there?" w/o even opening the bag. I said SCUBA equipment. He said "What's SCUBA" I said skin diving. He said "OK" have a good flight" & off I went! Didn't even look in my bag let alone call a supervisor or anything! I was almost afraid to get on that plane!

quote:
Originally posted by Lil Devil:

Can ya give us a hint to jump-start our imaginations?

Ummmm... well...

Take a look here. The guard was a little confused about what it was, and asked me about it. icon_razz.gif

I thought he might be amused when I explained it was something for my girl, but he didn't seem to care, and just put it back in my pack.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Lil Devil:

Can ya give us a hint to jump-start our imaginations?

Ummmm... well...

Take a look here. The guard was a little confused about what it was, and asked me about it. icon_razz.gif

I thought he might be amused when I explained it was something for my girl, but he didn't seem to care, and just put it back in my pack.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie!

Tracy and I bought a bag of items for a theme cache Parlez-Vous Cache? while we were in Montreal. Well, we forgot about the new security rules, and didn't place the bag in checked luggage.

We got the once over from the US Dept of Agriculture (but we had no food items- they saw a plastic bag) icon_rolleyes.gif. Then T got scolded by security for having a fingernail clipper. So, our cache is short one Canada fingernail clipper! Mind you, I was carrying a Palm Pilot, GPSr, and Cell Phone while T had a Cell Phone- no problems there.

If it can be used as a weapon, put it in checked luggage.

Thanks Jamie!

Tracy and I bought a bag of items for a theme cache Parlez-Vous Cache? while we were in Montreal. Well, we forgot about the new security rules, and didn't place the bag in checked luggage.

We got the once over from the US Dept of Agriculture (but we had no food items- they saw a plastic bag) icon_rolleyes.gif. Then T got scolded by security for having a fingernail clipper. So, our cache is short one Canada fingernail clipper! Mind you, I was carrying a Palm Pilot, GPSr, and Cell Phone while T had a Cell Phone- no problems there.

If it can be used as a weapon, put it in checked luggage.