Question about TBs

Foubeck

Hi,

A newbie question. :blink: Really enjoying my new hobby, though not as often as I would like to. I want to start off a TB, I have the bug, a name, and a mission. Do I need to put the mission somehow attached to the bug, so cachers know if they are likely to be able to help it on it's way. If so, what is the best method to use.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi,

A newbie question. :blink: Really enjoying my new hobby, though not as often as I would like to. I want to start off a TB, I have the bug, a name, and a mission. Do I need to put the mission somehow attached to the bug, so cachers know if they are likely to be able to help it on it's way. If so, what is the best method to use.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would advise you to attach a mission to it if you have a specific mision for it

Otherwise it could end up ANYWHERE

I have one out there that I wanted to go to Wales, but i didnt attach this info to the bug itself.

I't's In South Africa at the moment - not in itself a bad thing, but not what I had in mind for it

Edited by Smurf

When you activate your TB and create its homepage there's a section where you can describe its mission and this will appear on the page under the words "Current Goal".

See example here: Woolly

In the box marked "Trackable Options" you'll see the link "Print Info Sheet" - This will give you a ready-made mission sheet which you can print off to be either attached to your TB or enclosed in the bag with it.

a1f4845b-4cdb-44ea-bd4e-0973226adeb4.jpg

If you want something smaller you could just make a neat label from card, write the mission on it yourself, laminate it and attach it to the TB chain.

MrsB

P.S. you can find lots more info about TBs over on the Travel Bug forum.

When you activate your TB and create its homepage there's a section where you can describe its mission and this will appear on the page under the words "Current Goal".

See example here: Woolly

In the box marked "Trackable Options" you'll see the link "Print Info Sheet" - This will give you a ready-made mission sheet which you can print off to be either attached to your TB or enclosed in the bag with it.

a1f4845b-4cdb-44ea-bd4e-0973226adeb4.jpg

If you want something smaller you could just make a neat label from card, write the mission on it yourself, laminate it and attach it to the TB chain.

MrsB

P.S. you can find lots more info about TBs over on the Travel Bug forum.

See. I told everyone 2 weeks ago that there should be an 'Ask MrsB' pinned thread. :blink:

In my experience, many cachers don't read the goals until after they've picked up a trackable (just like many cachers don't bother to read the cache description). As an example, I had a TB which started in Australia and wanted to get to Bletchley Park near Milton Keynes. I hung on to it for a couple of months until I was passing nearby and I dropped it in a cache within a few miles of where it wanted to get to. A few days later it appeared in South Wales.

Last night I picked up a couple of TBs from a hotel which had around 10 trackables in it; even if I wanted to check their goals, looking at a TB in my hand doesn't necessarily help me work out which one it is in an inventory list on my iPhone. So I could still be picking up a TB that I can't help achieve its goal.

So either give it the sort of goal that cachers can choose whether to help with or not (but not feel bad if they can't/don't help) or give it a very specific goal and attach laminated details to the TB (but risk it not moving as often). I prefer the former approach.

Edited by svk616g

In my experience, many cachers don't read the goals until after they've picked up a trackable...

Yes.

We were in London last weekend and a Spanish cacher we met near London bridge gave us a geocoin that he'd brought to England from Spain. On its insert it said to "Southern England" so we said we'd find a suitable cache to drop it off.

The last few logs tell the tale...

SNOWFISH 100th :blink:

MrsB

We attached one of those keyrings with a clear plastic square clip thingy to ours. I think the idea is you open it up, pop a picture of your favourite person in there then clip it back up tight.

I have no idea what they are called but they are about and inch and a half square and you can get them from shoe repair shops.

We printed our TB mission on two pieces of card same size as the plastic 'picture frame', glued them ack to back and clipped them in the frame.