Geocaching in China

guiderchachi

I was there a couple of weeks ago (Shanghai area). Took my GPS and had no problems in looking for caches in the city. Never got a second glance from anybody. I am cognizant however, that there are certain areas that it would not look to good to be seen poking around. Common sense I guess.

I suppose that most people thought the GPS was a cell phone. In more rural areas, it may be more of a challenge, but there are probably not very many caches placed in those locations either.

Edited by eastnortheast

Going to China in two weeks, has anyone got any up to date information on Geocaching in China.

There are a fair number of geocaches in China; I have not had any problem using my GPSr in Southern China and haven't heard anyone else having problem. Just use your best judgement and not to use it around sensitive area like military base/chemical plant and such. Happy Caching in China!

Edited by wuster

I'll be heading to China in March of 2012 (Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai), and considered bringing my Garmin as well.

/Tagging this thread for possible future updates.

CLF.

I made this initial post quite a while ago. I leave in 5 more sleeps! I have a few virtuals bookmarked that I plan on doing, at least one in each of Beijing anf Shanghai. I like virtuals when i travel as they are quick and easy. When I get back, I will let you know how it went.

GC

I'll be heading to China in March of 2012 (Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai), and considered bringing my Garmin as well.

/Tagging this thread for possible future updates.

CLF.

I made this initial post quite a while ago. I leave in 5 more sleeps! I have a few virtuals bookmarked that I plan on doing, at least one in each of Beijing anf Shanghai. I like virtuals when i travel as they are quick and easy. When I get back, I will let you know how it went.

GC

Thanks, GC! Happy caching and safe travels!

CLF.

I have returned. I managed 4 virtuals with no problems. Feel free to look at my profile to see which ones. They were all in Beijing with one at the Great Wall in Badaling. A fellow cacher attending the convention tried a couple of traditional micros in Shanghai but one he couldn't find and one had a police bike propped next to it. He left that one alone.

I know when people travel they prefer the challenge of a traditional or a micro but I like to do virtuals. They are quick and easy and they allow me to log that country with no fuss, no muss, no muggles!

Enjoy your trip CLF. It was an amazing place. I have been home for 4 days and am still trying to process it all.

Guiderchachi

I will be in Southern China (based in Huizhou) from mid Feb until mid March 2012, which includes 29th Feb, a day I feel I must go caching. I see there are caches in Shenzhen and in Guangzhou which are both areas I can/will travel to. Anyone planning anything in the area for Feb 29th leap year?

I have looked at the threads about all the regulations for caching in China. I am planning a trip in August of 2011. Am I allowed to take my GPSr? There are caches listed for the areas I am going to so I should be able to do them, right? Any help is appreciated.

Guiderchachi

Canada

I stay now for about 2 years in China (beijing), coming from germany, and visited many cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Xian and other cities and you find in theses cities a lot of caching activities. Also in Beijing last year it was organized a small cache event (11-11-11) with success. The only what you have to think about is the cleaning people, they find anything and put it in the trash.

Last but not least also I and some german friends hide some caches...

So happy hunting, Freak_22