Belfair Cache Machine

travisl

(Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes.) (Link to dinner event cache.)

At the tip of Hood Canal, Belfair is a popular gateway for boaters, ATV riders, scuba divers, backpackers... and geocachers.

Fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and meet a mob of fellow cachers at sunrise on Sunday, January 2, at 7:15 a.m.

Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

If you're still out on the road at dinner time (5:00 p.m.), skip the rest of the route and come on in. Socializing at dinner is one of the best parts of machine events (and that's coming from me -- someone who usually hates socializing). There will be travel bugs to discover, a buffet to gorge yourself, and more geocachers to commiserate with than you can shake a walking stick at. The most important rule:

As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it.

For any micro cache with a tiny logbook that we find on the event, one "BCM" log entry should suffice for the group. We tend to fill up log books too quickly, and our stickers tend to make micro log books hard to re-stash. For normal-sized caches, or even large micros (like key holders), everyone should sign in.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Belfair Cache Machine FAQ:

When is it?

7:15 a.m., Sunday, January 2, 2011. Latecomers can track us down en route.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We start the day as one giant group. Then it's on to the next one as a group, which means we'll hopefully find each cache quickly. The group tends to fragment after the first few caches, though. The longer we can keep the big group together, the more fun it is!

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

- Friday, December 31: that's New Year's Eve. Party like it's 1999 and sleep in the next day. You've got nowhere to be.

- Saturday, January 1, 5:30 p.m., there may be a pre-event dinner. Check the thread below for details. Last minute route changes will be announced here.

- Sunday, January 2, at 5:00 p.m., dinner will be at JR's Hideaway at 22540 NE State Route 3. (N 47° 26.112 W 122° 50.319). I've created an event page for this dinner event.

- Monday... the holiday season's pretty much over, ain't it. Bummer.

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Let me know, and I'll incorporate it into the route.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I'm skipping a lot. I'll be avoiding most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a two mile hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I'll work with the cache owner to minimize our impact, or skip the cache altogether.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

Lunch: You should probably bring a sack lunch to eat on the road.

Breaks and Bathrooms: There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding?

Almost certain. Possible. Not unheard of. Could be. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

(Edit: Date fix in one spot.)

Edited by travisl
The road from 28 past 33, the last time I drove it, was marked as not maintained. It was passable, but there may be pretty good sized chuck holes along the way.

Yup - the Burma Road is where I most expect to discover landslides blocking our path. As far as I know, it's a maintained county dirt road, but "maintained" is a matter of degree. It's also narrow, has blind corners, and as you note, full of potholes. I'd considered skipping it, but I've driven it myself, and it has some great views and gives a real feel for the area. Then again that was 20 years ago, so it may have changed considerably.

There are four caches near #54 that are not that long a hike, but would probably be too much for the dedicated cache machiner.

Those were the last four caches that I took off the route. As the crow flies, it's four caches in a 1.7 mile round trip, which generally makes it machin-able (I aim for 0.5 miles roundtrip max per cache). But the route was already past the two hour buffer, and these are some of the furthest caches from the dinner location. If we were to skip the Burma Road caches, and go straight from #24 to #34, yeah, I'd add this trail to the route.

The road from 28 past 33, the last time I drove it, was marked as not maintained. It was passable, but there may be pretty good sized chuck holes along the way.

There are four caches near #54 that are not that long a hike, but would probably be too much for the dedicated cache machiner.

I believe the road from 28 to 33 is now open. It does not appear on the Mason County road closure list.

Yup - the Burma Road is where I most expect to discover landslides blocking our path. As far as I know, it's a maintained county dirt road, but "maintained" is a matter of degree. It's also narrow, has blind corners, and as you note, full of potholes. I'd considered skipping it, but I've driven it myself, and it has some great views and gives a real feel for the area. Then again that was 20 years ago, so it may have changed considerably.

Funny that it's named the Burma Road! :blink:

It looks like you've done an incredible amount of work to set this up- thank you. :angry:

My only comment is that event page says we are meeting at 5:00 for dinner but the route intinerary has us meeting back at JR's closer to 7:45 p.m. I've never done a cache machine before so was wondering if that was an alternate meeting time for the diehards?

It looks like you've done an incredible amount of work to set this up- thank you. :grin:

My only comment is that event page says we are meeting at 5:00 for dinner but the route intinerary has us meeting back at JR's closer to 7:45 p.m. I've never done a cache machine before so was wondering if that was an alternate meeting time for the diehards?

Nope, that just means the route is longer than the time allotted, which Travis usually does for those diehards who go faster, further, and/or start the day before and need more caches to do. :angry: Dinner's still at 5:00 for all.

It looks like you've done an incredible amount of work to set this up- thank you. :grin:

Nope, that just means the route is longer than the time allotted, which Travis usually does for those diehards who go faster, further, and/or start the day before and need more caches to do. :angry: Dinner's still at 5:00 for all.

I don't have the slightest clue what you are insinuating. :grin: :grin:

Who's this Chuck guy that's going around digging holes in the road? If I see him can I run him down and stuff him in one of his holes? Then we call the guy Fill. :angry:

FYI rough roads aren't as rough if drive them fast enough.

We are going to be coming over from the other side of the sound, any recommendations on places to stay in the area or where are other people staying? We were thinking of camping as there don't look to be many motels in the area.

Thanks,

SirKarp

Edited by SirKarp

We are going to be coming over from the other side of the sound, any recommendations on places to stay in the area or where are other people staying? We were thinking of camping as there don't look to be many motels in the area.

Thanks,

SirKarp

Check out these two websites for places to stay overnight in Belfair, WA.:

Belfair Motel: http://www.belfairmotel.net/

Selah Inn: http://www.selahinn.com/

You will have to call them, for I have no additional information on rates et cetera.

/\/(°w°)\/\

The bookmark list is done and up. See the cache dinner page for the link. I will update the bookmark as Travis updates the route.

Comments:

Unavailable caches:

#04 - GC116W9

#07 - GCXZBC Although not marked as unavailable the logs indicate this one has degraded to a ziplock bag the last few finders did not find. The cache owner has been inactive for a while so repair of this one is doubtful.

#59 - GC23AZG

#70 - GC114GC

Premium member only caches:

The following caches are premium member only. Regular members will have to get the coordinates from a premium member or skip the cache. A regular member can log the cache through www.geocachingadmin.com.

#13 - GC1HK2Q

#22 - GC1F466

#24 - GC1F45P

#25 - GC1C75A

#42 - GC1MHAR

#46 - GC2EWH0

#48 - GC1F462

Misc coments:

#41 - GC1C7XD Like many roadside caches in this area parking is extremely limited to practically non-existent. Probably if two or three cars show up at the same time there will be a buss error.

#45 - GC1FB3Z This one will probably enliven the dinner conversation. Road to this one starts out as a two lane washboard gravel/dirt road. As you continue it gets progressively narrower and more dirt than gravel. The last 3/4 mile or so it is a narrow one lane road, two cars going in opposite directions will be interesting. Ever watch IRT Deadliest roads? You got the idea. At the end there is room for a couple cars but turning around with several cars there will be fun. If I was told that this is a private road I probably would not argue about it.

#50 - GC1X2J5 Getting to this one is tide dependent. The scheduled time on this day is will probably lead to wet feet.

#62- GCNPRF This is certainly a terrain 3 cache. I bushwhacked up a pretty good hill figuring I would find the easy way down once I was there. The easy way was not evident. But the view is great. If it recently rained, better have your gore-tex on because the brush will be wet.

Many of the roadside caches in this area have limited parking, please use care.

Burma Road comment - This is an interesting road. It is gravel/dirt and when I went on it it was pretty washboard. The nice thing about this time of the year is that the dust will not be very bad. The curves can be pretty blind and at places the drop off to the west is pretty steep. I traveled it in my sedan, it is okay, just take it easy and all should be fine.

Edited by jholly

Thanks,

SirKarp

Honestly I was thinking the same question. The local options don't sound too good, so I am currently thinking about Bremerton.

Thanks,

SirKarp

Honestly I was thinking the same question. The local options don't sound too good, so I am currently thinking about Bremerton.

that is probably good thinking

Thanks,

SirKarp

We are starting to think about staying in Port Orchard or Bremerton, there are a couple "name brand" hotels there, I was hoping someone would have previous experience with the local Belfair Motel, the web reviews are a little iffy for them. We might still decide to camp in the Motorhome but having a good hotel room after a long day of activities sounds nice, less to worry about, deal with ect.

SirKarp

Edited by SirKarp

Premium member only caches:

The following caches are premium member only. Regular members will have to get the coordinates from a premium member or skip the cache. A regular member can log the cache through www.geocachingadmin.com.

Here's another method for Regular members to log those pesky PMO caches:

BOULTER'S EXPRESS LOGGER: http://boulter.com/geocaching/express/

/\/(°w°)\/\

P.S. Since I have found 55 caches on the BCM list, and maybe a few more between now and the event, I will probably not be part of the hunt. But I plan to show up at the dinner to meet all the other "oldies" and the "newbies" to the hobby.

Thanks,

SirKarp

We are starting to think about staying in Port Orchard or Bremerton, there are a couple "name brand" hotels there, I was hoping someone would have previous experience with the local Belfair Motel, the web reviews are a little iffy for them. We might still decide to camp in the Motorhome but having a good hotel room after a long day of activities sounds nice, less to worry about, deal with ect.

SirKarp

there's a nice State Park right on the canal a few miles West of Belfair.

Thanks,

SirKarp

SirKarp

There are actually two state parks on the canal within 10 miles of Belfair

Thanks,

SirKarp

SirKarp

There are actually two state parks on the canal within 10 miles of Belfair

Motel rooms are genereally warmer than motorhomes in January, but not as easy to carry around with you...

Driving motorhomes on some places along the route will be an interesting challenge.
Or do what my dad did - tow a Tracker behind the rig. He got into some of the most interesting country that way...

I expect that this CM will have more muddy washboard pock-marked dirt roads than any other CM we've done before. The route should be passable for a passenger car, but I wouldn't recommend it for trailers, motorhomes, or articulated buses.

Driving motorhomes on some places along the route will be an interesting challenge.
Or do what my dad did - tow a Tracker behind the rig. He got into some of the most interesting country that way...

I expect that this CM will have more muddy washboard pock-marked dirt roads than any other CM we've done before. The route should be passable for a passenger car, but I wouldn't recommend it for trailers, motorhomes, or articulated buses.

Sweet!

Sweet!

No silly you sleep in the Motorhome and go caching in the minivan! LOL, If we "Take the motorhome" we would tow the minivan, I could just see me racing down the road after some cache in motorhome, rearranging everything in the back, pots and pans flying. We still haven't made a decision for 100% if we are sleeping in the Motorhome or the Motel, but either way we will go caching in minivan.

SirKarp

travisl

If you are going to hit the one cache on Hurd rd. you may has well get the other large one that is on the way. "Micros are boring" isn't more than 5 minutes off of the gravel road. I may be biased on this because it is mine but you'll have to drive past it to get to "NOPC enduro trail" anyway.

travisl

If you are going to hit the one cache on Hurd rd. you may has well get the other large one that is on the way. "Micros are boring" isn't more than 5 minutes off of the gravel road. I may be biased on this because it is mine but you'll have to drive past it to get to "NOPC enduro trail" anyway.

Hmm... micros are boring. Why does that sound familiar. I just can't seem to put my finger on it. LOL

I'm wondering about taking the ferry from Edmonds, and then bicycling down, and doing the CM on bike. Any tips? What are the hills like? Is this the island where the infamous Chilly Hilly runs every year? Actually, I'm not concerned about hills, as much as I am about riding on a road with a 2-inch wide bike path (that would be the white line on the right edge of the road) and gravel/no shoulders.

- Stache

I'm wondering about taking the ferry from Edmonds, and then bicycling down, and doing the CM on bike. Any tips? What are the hills like? Is this the island where the infamous Chilly Hilly runs every year? Actually, I'm not concerned about hills, as much as I am about riding on a road with a 2-inch wide bike path (that would be the white line on the right edge of the road) and gravel/no shoulders.

- Stache

The Chilly Willy is on Bainbidge Island, quite a bit to the east.

Most of the ride from Kingston to Belfair would be on the 2-inch wide bike path. Highway 3 can be pretty busy and does have quite a few trucks. Just about all the route will be on a 2-inch wide bike path, if there is a bike path at all. I don't recall any really bad hills on the route.

Edit: Thinking about it, quite a bit of Hwy. 3 does have a paved shoulder. Some doesn't. The other roads on the route have very little to no shoulder, gravel at best. Of course you don't have to worry about the shoulder on Burma Road. :laughing:

Edited by jholly

- Stache

The Chilly Willy is on Bainbidge Island, quite a bit to the east.

Most of the ride from Kingston to Belfair would be on the 2-inch wide bike path. Highway 3 can be pretty busy and does have quite a few trucks. Just about all the route will be on a 2-inch wide bike path, if there is a bike path at all. I don't recall any really bad hills on the route.

Edit: Thinking about it, quite a bit of Hwy. 3 does have a paved shoulder. Some doesn't. The other roads on the route have very little to no shoulder, gravel at best. Of course you don't have to worry about the shoulder on Burma Road. :D

What shoulder on the Burma Road? Is there one other than the ditch?

:D

well the list looks great EXCEPT #73-? Sandhill road is closed before you get to any of those caches. I own #67! so that is great and there is another way to get up sandhill road but not from the direction you have listed sorry.

and #68 has been missing for quiet sometime.

Rhea

AKA Dettmar.Ohana

From Mason County Road Closures

09/27/2010

SAND HILL ROAD

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that pursuant to RCW 47.48.010, Sand Hill Road, at approximately milepost 4.05 on County Road Number 86070, shall be closed in order to facilitate work associated with repairs to the roadway from 2007 storm damage. The road will be closed to all through traffic from 8:00 am Monday, September 27, 2010 to 5:00 pm Friday, December 10, 2010.

Sand Hill Detour Route Map

With luck it will be open. If not go to the link given and use the link to get to the map. It is a image so I did not post it. But as I recall, the road work might cause a cache or two to go missing. Hopefully someone or the CO will check those caches when the road opens.

Yippie! Another Cache Machine!

Been waiting... oh... about 5 seconds after leaving the Golden Corral on the last CM. Don't know yet if I can make it, as work is a little shaky right now.

Here's to hope!

Fuzzywhip

Hope you can make it and the weather over the passes co-operates. Will be good to see you again.

Thanks for the advice, especially JHolly and Fledermaus. I've just posted draft two, which makes the following changes:

• Added GC1JD8E, the mystery "Sandhill Series Finale". I also added an informational waypoint (listed in draft 2 as #71) just before GC1JD93 ("Jailbreak") to point out that information for the Finale cache needs to start being collected here.

• Added GC2C7YV, "Micros are Boring" (I've got no idea how this fell out of my pocket query; was it recently enabled or had its ratings changed?)

• Removed GCXZBC (B"ikini Bottom"), GC23AZG ("3rd Anniversary at Grata Creek"), and GC114GC ("Tiger's Mission"), and posted "should be archived" notes for these three.

• Removed GCJ87T ("Loony-Toonerville") and GC1FB3Z ("Who IS Jason Rice??"); they each added five miles to the route.

I've kept the disabled GC116W9 ("Blue Star") on the route. I've been in contact with cache owner Quadmommy, who helped me track down the dinner location (thanks!). I also kept GC1BH0A ("Tail of the Tiger") on the route; it's only had 1 DNF since it was last found on Halloween. I'll check on these again before the final is posted.

I added cautions for the wet underbrush at GCNPRF ("Great Library"); and the high tide (11.3 at 2:13 PM) for GC1X2J5 ("Must Love Oysters").

I've e-mailed the three owners of the seven Members Only caches to see if they want me to remove their caches from the route.

I expect to post the final route on Monday, December 27.

FYI: The Mason county roads website now lists Sandhill road closed until 12/31/2010.

Good news: Sand Hill Road in North Mason now open (Kitsap Sun, December 22)

The CO has also set GC1JD93 as unavailable because of the road construction. Road construction probably resulted in the loss of the cache. This will upset the apple cart on getting the final for the Sandhill series.

2RustyWhalers say they'll get to it soon. Even if it's not ready in time for the CM, this cache gives the "F" in the coordinate "W 122° 51.DEF", so we're talking about a possible 37-foot long east/west area to search. It still sounds findable.

Expect a few changes in Monday's final route. I've taken off a few caches at the request of the cache owners, so will also probably be adding a few to take up the slack.

Greetings!

All set for the BCM. I've booked my hotels and my days off from work, so I'll be there! Regardless if the passes have snow, I'll definitely try to make it!

As usual, I am seeking a ride with a team, as I enjoy the Cache Machines more when I'm with a group.

Otherwise, if I have to go it alone, I could use a navigator (especially in the dark!)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuzzywhip

Edited by Fuzzywhip

I am considering doing this one. I have done several caches that will be on the route, but that does not bother me. I would rather ride with someone and, since i have driven on many of these roads, could do the navigating without too much of a problem. I have a vacation house near Belfair and would spend both nights there. If someone needs a navigator, I can get you the coords of the house and you can pick me up that morning. I won't make up my mind for sure until after I see the final routing.

The final route is up!

Removed from the previous version are:

Added are:

• GC1W4A7 GC1W4A7 Stumped on Holly
  • GC14M2H GC14M2H Tree Farm: One Degree of Separation (yes, I know it's disabled, but it looks like it might still be there)
  • GC13EQC GC13EQC GPR2 - #5 Prudential
  • GC29VCV GC29VCV Haunted Junkyard
  • GC2K47P GC2K47P It Came From The Other Side

No PRE-event dinner this time -- New Year's Day is a holiday, and Crazy Eric's (yum!) closes at 5:00 PM.

Any further changes to the route will be announced here in the forums, as a note to the POST-event dinner page (put it on your watchlist), and at the starting point (GC1MB74 All Star) on Sunday, just before the 7:15 AM start of the event.