Garmin 62s

culture50

Hi

I am trying to upgrade my existing Map60csx to the new 62 series to take advantage of the paperless option.My big query is -How many paperless caches can I load, with how many logs?? can I load more with fewer logs?? can I use the micro sd card to load extras for later use-will the unit be able to access them??

The reason for the questions is , We do a bit of bicycle touring and need weight reduction as well as convenience.

Thanks in advance to all suggestions.-Are there other more suitable units??

5000 geocaches is the short answer. I don't think there is any limit on the number of logs/cache, most people use 5-10 logs. You cannot have more geocaches with fewer logs.

If you really want more than 5k there is a POI option which will allow you to load as many caches as you want -- however you won't be able to use some of the paperless features of the unit with these POIs (you'll just have the descriptions, logs, hints, etc).

5000 geocaches is the short answer. I don't think there is any limit on the number of logs/cache, most people use 5-10 logs. You cannot have more geocaches with fewer logs.

If you really want more than 5k there is a POI option which will allow you to load as many caches as you want -- however you won't be able to use some of the paperless features of the unit with these POIs (you'll just have the descriptions, logs, hints, etc).

Thanks for that info-I am happy to only use about 5 logs, however I am informed ( local Garmin dealer) that only 200 actual paperless caches can be stored, and I am unable to find another geocacher that has one of the newer Map 62s units or one of the other newer units.

Thanks

Thanks for that info-I am happy to only use about 5 logs, however I am informed ( local Garmin dealer) that only 200 actual paperless caches can be stored, and I am unable to find another geocacher that has one of the newer Map 62s units or one of the other newer units.

Thanks

The local Garmin dealer is wrong. The 62s can hold 5000 paperless geocaches.

Thanks

The local Garmin dealer is wrong. The 62s can hold 5000 paperless geocaches.

Yipee-I will purchase then.

That's right. There is another limit if you use the "SendToGPS" button on this site. The unit can only open 200 gpx files and SendToGPS downloads a single file per cache. You'll run into the file limit before the geocache limit. You'll need to be using pocket queries to get multiple geocaches per file.

I do use pocket queries. So your suggestion is 'if I have a pocket query called 'close to home' which actually contains 500 caches and notes than this is one 'GPX file' and I can use many of these.

Can more be stored on the sd card? which can be accessed??

Thanks

I do use pocket queries. So your suggestion is 'if I have a pocket query called 'close to home' which actually contains 500 caches and notes than this is one 'GPX file' and I can use many of these.

Thanks

Yes you could have up to 10, 500 cache gpx files to reach your limit of 5000. They can be stored on either the unit itself or on the sd card, or a combination of both, but you cannot have more than 5000 loaded no matter where they are stored.

Thanks

Yes you could have up to 10, 500 cache gpx files to reach your limit of 5000. They can be stored on either the unit itself or on the sd card, or a combination of both, but you cannot have more than 5000 loaded no matter where they are stored.

Sounds too good to be true_thanks

I have used the 62S with 2000 geocaches on one file, and it works quickly and accurately. :huh:

I use the new 1000 cache queries.........just erase the 500 number in the limit square and type in 1000.

I load a couple files into gsak and then download the combined file from there, into the Garmin 62S. Perfect !

Logs........you get 5 logs per querie from geocaching.com . You can dump them into gsak, and do that over again to grab an additional pile of logs from geocaching.com . That's how I get more than 5 logs in each geocache. Also....it grabs YOUR log...if you made one on that geocache. It's great to see MY own DNF log :blink: