Geocache Placements

Cissy PSP

I have just a general question about cache placements and going by what the map says. I am new to geocaching. I just started the first part of October. I have trouble finding places to hide a cache that not too close to another one. After several denial of placements, I finally learned how to read the map to avoid the saturation situation.

So, the other day I placed one where I was sure the nearest one was at the very least .1 of a mile. I wrote down the coordinates, went home and consulted the map. Sure enough, the closest was a Traditional Cache .1 of a mile away. I had just found that one, too. The nearest Puzzle cache was .2 of a mile away.

I submitted my find. I got a notice back saying I was too close to a Puzzle cache. I double and tripled check using my coordinates. Nope, no Puzzle cache less than .1 (528 fee). The Puzzle is .2 of a mile.

I am assuming the reviewer has an auto program of some sort that pops up to give him/her the information....but why do I show a different situatin than the reviewer. I am getting discouraged on hiding anything LOL. After finally learning what I was doing wrong and to still come out wrong is exasperating. If I can't trust what the map says, how do I go about hiding a cache? Here are the coordinates I have. Can someone look to see what I mean. Also, it shows a TC .2 away AND a Puzzle the same distance of .2. I don't understand.

N 37 degrees 14.253, W 121 degrees 52.191

Thank you!!

Welcome to the forums.

Chances are, the puzzle cache coordinates are just the starting point or maybe the parking lot. The actual cache is nearby, but the coordinates are hidden to all but the owner and the reviewers. Thats why it looks to you like it is 0.2 but the reviewer says it is less than 0.1

The final location of that puzzle is somewhere between the published coordinates and your proposed cache site.

You have several options. I have been through this myself a couple times.

1. submit dozens of revised cache locations around the spot until one gets approved. This method is not recommended.

2. Contact the owner of the puzzle. Tell them where you want to place your cache. When I did this, the owner told me something to the effect of "anyplace east of such and such a trail, and north of so and so road should be fine". He didn't tell me where his puzzle final was, but at least it narrowed down the available space. I'd consider this a last resort if option 3 does not work out.

3. Solve his puzzle. Then you know exactly where the conflicting cache is. Plus you get a smiley face for a puzzle. Again, the owner should be helpful with this. All of puzzle cache owners I have dealt with have been great. They want their puzzles to be challenging but they also want them found.

Welcome to the forums.

Chances are, the puzzle cache coordinates are just the starting point or maybe the parking lot. The actual cache is nearby, but the coordinates are hidden to all but the owner and the reviewers. Thats why it looks to you like it is 0.2 but the reviewer says it is less than 0.1

The final location of that puzzle is somewhere between the published coordinates and your proposed cache site.

1. submit dozens of revised cache locations around the spot until one gets approved. This method is not recommended.

2. Contact the owner of the puzzle. Tell them where you want to place your cache. When I did this, the owner told me something to the effect of "anyplace east of such and such a trail, and north of so and so road should be fine". He didn't tell me where his puzzle final was, but at least it narrowed down the available space. I'd consider this a last resort if option 3 does not work out.

3. Solve his puzzle. Then you know exactly where the conflicting cache is. Plus you get a smiley face for a puzzle. Again, the owner should be helpful with this. All of puzzle cache owners I have dealt with have been great. They want their puzzles to be challenging but they also want them found.

Hi and thank you, John. I agree, #1 and #2 might be difficult LOL. Good suggestions, one and all. I'll do my best with this. If hiding becomes not fun, then I'll just do the hunt and not hide any. The rules....especialy secret coordinates do make it "unfun" for someone who likes things simple (the hide, not the find)

Thanks! Everyone's comments are helpful :)

Welcome to the forums.

Hi and thank you, John. I agree, #1 and #2 might be difficult LOL. Good suggestions, one and all. I'll do my best with this. If hiding becomes not fun, then I'll just do the hunt and not hide any. The rules....especialy secret coordinates do make it "unfun" for someone who likes things simple (the hide, not the find)

Consider the following (as Bil Nye The Science Guy used to say), if the coordinates of a puzzle cache were not "secret" what would be the point of a puzzle? I understand your frustration, but those coordinates do need to kept secret so as not to spoil the puzzle.

Welcome to the forums.

Consider the following (as Bil Nye The Science Guy used to say), if the coordinates of a puzzle cache were not "secret" what would be the point of a puzzle? I understand your frustration, but those coordinates do need to kept secret so as not to spoil the puzzle.

AND it feels so good to scratch a puzzle off the to do list.

I came across this problem early when I first started hiding caches as well. From the maps it looked as if I was fine, but the reviewer informed me that it was too close to a puzzle cache GZ. This prompted me to attempt the puzzle to get the coordinates and was one of my first puzzle finds.

Welcome to the forums.

Of course, weightman, I totally understand that. Just makes it hard on us simple folk who want to do a fun hide. Right now, I have a jar with some fun things in it.....TB, $1 for FTF, etc. Now, to hide that, I'll have to do some work.....perhaps a lot of it. LOL....thank you!

I came across this problem early when I first started hiding caches as well. From the maps it looked as if I was fine, but the reviewer informed me that it was too close to a puzzle cache GZ. This prompted me to attempt the puzzle to get the coordinates and was one of my first puzzle finds.

Nice post, Ncodemus3! I will jump into that soon, for sure. I have a friend who geocaches with me frequently. Her and I can do this together, I hope :) LOL...

I have just a general question about cache placements .... <snip>

The other area that can cause a bit of upset are multi caches. The physical stages and final coordinates are generally not listed. But the proximity rule dictates 0.1 mi. from the stages (internally to the multi there is no proximity rule). So your faced with the same problems with multis, and the same options. This only applies to physical stages, an answer to question stage does not have proximity rules.

One of my attempted hides was rejected due to a puzzle cache. What I thought was virgin territory, there wasn't a cache on the map for almost a kilometer or over 1/2 mile actually was blocked by a puzzle.

The reveiwer was nice enough to tell me the name of the cache that was blocking my cache, the '?' was about 2km away. I had tried to solve this puzzle in the past with no success. Now I was determined.

When I solved it, my North coord was exactly the same. The other cache was 30m west of my placement.

If your reviewer is willing find out which '?' is blocking you and solve it.