How far you gotta go to find a cache nowadays?

Coldgears

My closest unfound cache is a little less then two miles from my house. I've been saving close caches for fear I may run out of caches near me. Instead I drive tens of miles to hit the farther caches so I don't run out of close ones. To ease my fears, how far do experienced geocacherrs have to drive to find a geocache?

Not far at all. This weekend, the closest one I found was 124' from my back door. That was a little bit odd, but we just built the house after the cache was hidden, and I finally got around to look for it. The next two are less than 1/2 mile away. There are still (and this is very strange) 666 caches I haven't found within 10 miles.

Ha! Finally got that thorn in my side off my nearby list! 2.1 miles. Only took me three and a half years!

18877381-a692-4f11-b369-0526725ec7d3.jpg

Dolphin's ascent

Got 48 caches within 10 miles. Still! 22 evil mystery caches. 7 kayaking caches. 4 wading caches. Ignoring the one that takes professional tree-climbing gear, and is 45' up a tree. And assorted others. But, I'm working on it! Did a five mile hike, with 400' of climb Saturday, for one!

My closest unfound cache is a little less then two miles from my house. I've been saving close caches for fear I may run out of caches near me. Instead I drive tens of miles to hit the farther caches so I don't run out of close ones. To ease my fears, how far do experienced geocacherrs have to drive to find a geocache?

My partner and I have driven 200 miles to find a cache.

Of course we were doing a DeLorme Challenge and Colorado Counties challenge so our total miles for that trip was 600+ for 40 or so caches. :)

Our method of caching is to travel to where the weather is nicer. When it is cold here we go 40 miles south to where it is warmer. In the summer we'll head west 40-50 miles to someplace cooler than here. And when it is too nasty.... then we do ones here in town.

This weekend I will be going over 3k miles to cache. Granted I will be going on a cruise out of Ft lauderdale for 2 weeks and will be hitting at least 5 islands, plus the flight from LAX.

I did that over the summer. Haiti, Jamaica, Cayman Islands and Mexico. If you do the Haiti cruise cache, read up on it. You may want to bring a cache replacement kit, just in case.

Ha! Finally got that thorn in my side off my nearby list! 2.1 miles. Only took me three and a half years!

18877381-a692-4f11-b369-0526725ec7d3.jpg

Dolphin's ascent

Got 48 caches within 10 miles. Still! 22 evil mystery caches. 7 kayaking caches. 4 wading caches. Ignoring the one that takes professional tree-climbing gear, and is 45' up a tree. And assorted others. But, I'm working on it! Did a five mile hike, with 400' of climb Saturday, for one!

465 unfound caches within 10 miles. Closest is .7 away but it's right across from a front door of a private residence. I have no desire in looking for it. I've pretty much cleared all of the caches that I WANT to find in five mile radius.

Edited by Don_J

Here is my problem. There are times I'm going to be in an area. So I look for caches to find. It turns out the majority of them are D1. I rarely want to waste my time on a quick grab as they say. Whats the point since I'm not in this for the numbers. I enjoy something clever and unique. A lampskirt is not much enjoyment to me. So I end up going farther and farther to find at least a D2.

About a year or so ago I had found every cache within 15 miles from home but I haven't been motivated enough to go after every new cache that is placed nearby since I reached 1000 finds so there are several within a couple of miles now. The last cache I found (about two weeks ago) is 6670 miles from home. Since my 1000th find (in May this year) I have only found 29 caches. Only 9 of them were local. The rest were in China, Arizona, Florida, California, Illinois, and Indiana.

I still have not found the second closest cache to me. Its a tough little hide, in a wall of ivy. Also, several finders have stated that the co-ordinates are off. I have also been questioned twice by security as to my activities. My next closest is number 9. It is in a poison oak infested creek, with sketchy gps reception. I also have looked for it twice, with no luck.

Within 20 miles, there are hundreds, if not thousands of hides.

I live in King Boreas country. If my nearest unfound cache is too far away, I only need to wait a couple of months. :)

Ditto. We're on the west side of the TC metro where new caches spawn with remarkable regularity. We do however enjoy taking day trips to the surrounding areas to cache, often traveling 20-50 miles from home.

We move every couple of years, so we have yet to run out. Still have several hundred within 15 miles of us here in Montgomery, with new ones posting almost every week.

We lived in Charlottesville, VA, for ten months and cached the place out, but we made sure to ration the local ones. I think we still had a handful of local caches until our 8th month.

I have about 5000 of them within 10 miles of me, so I have lots to choose from and at least 5 new ones a week, from what I can see. So far the furthest I have driven is 13 miles, and I have several unfound ones that are within 2 miles of me. I live in a suburb of a large city. I mainly look for interesting ones in parks. I hate boring nanos in bushes by gas stations...

Edited by FloridaFour

I just checked...other than the final cache in a series that has two disabled so I can't get the final co-ordinates and one seasonally disabled cache...the closest cache to me is 10.6 miles.

Problem is, that's 'as the crow flies'. Around here, that's probably 20 miles of driving to get to it

OTOH, I knowingly choose to live in as close to the wilderness I can get without actually living in the bush, so no close caching is one of the downsides. OTOH, we have only a handful of LPC and GRC withing 30 miles.

I just checked...other than the final cache in a series that has two disabled so I can't get the final co-ordinates and one seasonally disabled cache...the closest cache to me is 10.6 miles.

Problem is, that's 'as the crow flies'. Around here, that's probably 20 miles of driving to get to it

OTOH, I knowingly choose to live in as close to the wilderness I can get without actually living in the bush, so no close caching is one of the downsides. OTOH, we have only a handful of LPC and GRC withing 30 miles.

Have to agree with you about living in the wilderness. I have found one cache on a guard rail and technically 2 LPC's. Just not something that is seen a whole lot when there's no usable lamp posts.

I have lots of caches close by and really finding I spend lot of time trying to find caches I want to go after since I require something interesting about the cache. Lots of them are quick grabs, lpc, micro, or muggle prone, which I have no interest in. I have to travel 30 miles or better to find caches - so I wait until I am traveling anyway. Gas prices are now a consideration.

5.4 miles to the nearest unfound for us. 210 unfound within 100 miles. Most of the unfound are the longer hikes or newer placed caches that we are saving for winter days. We are trying to fill in that day of the year grid and have about 30 days left, most in December and March. So we are trying to leave a few easy ones for cold days.

I can see the site of an unfound cache from my back bedroom window. Well, technically it’s not unfound as I know exactly where it is and have held the film tub in my hand, but I didn’t have a pen on me that day and have never been bothered to go back and sign it, so have never logged it.

There are loads of others close to me that I haven’t yet found (of the 42 listed within a 2 mile radius, I have only found 8, and a further 1 is our own hide, so that’s 33 unfound) - we tend to go further afield on our caching trips as that’s where the more interesting caches are.

Back in 2005 we had found all the caches within 30 miles of home. Then we moved to Montana for 3 years and had nearly found all the caches within 50 miles of home. I think we were down to about 2 pages of caches when filtering out finds. Now that we are back in Nebraska we are slowly working on it again - most of our caches are outside 35 miles now.

There is one .7 miles away that I am 99% sure is a yard cache and on a busy street at that.

There is a second 1.5 miles away that is absolutely a yard cache on a busy street.

There is a third 7.1 miles away that is is a yard cache on a less busy street.

I don't really care for yard caches though, so the closest cache that interests my is 7.9 away, the next is at 9 and they start getting more common at 12 or so. I wouldn't call us experienced though, we've only been doing this since October 2nd

There are 488 caches within ten miles of my home.

I've found 378 of them.

The closest unfound cache is .59 miles.

There are 3 unfound within 1 mile, though I may have found 1 of them, the name and location look familiar. That's the problem with not logging finds online, it's hard to remember what you have and haven't found, especially ones like this that I think is a LPC in a local parking lot. After their first nobody remembers those.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler