placing caches

shep1369

when placing caches, do most people want one that are easy to find or challenging? I am going to place 5 caches out in the spring. Plan on one being kid friendly, so easy. the rest I had planned to make fairly challenging, but in reading other threads it seems like it is becoming more of a numbers game than a challenge between seeker and hider.

It will always be a bit of a challenge. Hide what you like, don't let others opinions influence you. These forums do not reflect the average cacher in my opinion.

Some things to consider:

Make sure that your container is positively waterproof. Recycled house or food containers rarely are.

If possible use write in the rain paper. This will save you lots of maintenance issues.

when placing caches, do most people want one that are easy to find or challenging? I am going to place 5 caches out in the spring. Plan on one being kid friendly, so easy. the rest I had planned to make fairly challenging, but in reading other threads it seems like it is becoming more of a numbers game than a challenge between seeker and hider.

I don't mind difficult caches and don't mind the extra time it takes to find them. I do not like difficult caches that in in high muggle areas. I prefer to search in relatively private.

And now for a different take :D

I actually don't care how difficult they are, I just want them to take me someplace interesting.

Edited because I still haven't learned to spell :)

that is an answer I like. I am so tired of caches in parking lots. Make it be somewhere worth somethingh!!!

Definitely make them challenging. A few easy ones for kids is fine. Numbers really don't impress me. A good challenging find is much more fullfilling. How do you feel when you find you have to lift up a lampskirt. Ug.

I don't mind difficult caches and don't mind the extra time it takes to find them. I do not like difficult caches that in in high muggle areas. I prefer to search in relatively private.

I would agree with that.

I like CREATIVE unique hides of any difficulty.

When I started I liked the easy ones best.

Now I like the hard ones, but some days I prefer easy ones.

If you do easy, then a broader range of people will enjoy it.

No matter what the difficulty, if you place one more lamp post cache, or other overdone thing, it will just be one more boring cache for numbers.

If you do something unique and creative, then everyone will talk about it and appreciate it for years to come.

I wish there were more challenging caches around here. I would like to find some that involve hiking a few miles through the woods, swimming to an island, climbing a tree, or other things that are worth bragging about, but there don't seem to be any like that around here. I vote to make them challenging.

make them different from what is common in your area.

I like unique hides. if it doesn't take me somewhere special, then it needs to be rewarding in some other way.

easy is fine...but it needs to be different.

a random ammo box under a pile of loose bark in the woods is only slightly more interesting to me than a parking lot micro. Typically the only redeeming factor is that it's in the woods. Give me some unique camo or something.

Neither. I want a cache that is interesting. Bring me to a nice viewpoint, over interesting terrain, to a cool rock formation, an historic site, an oddity, and I'm happy.

If it is challenging to get to, all the better, but I geocache for discovery not challenge. If I just want a challenge I'll take up rock climbing.

Edited by briansnat

Neither. I want a cache that is interesting. Bring me to a nice viewpoint, over interesting terrain, to a cool rock formation, an historic site, an oddity, and I'm happy.

If it is challenging to get to, all the better, but I geocache for discovery not challenge. If I just want a challenge I'll take up rock climbing.

I 2nd this :angry:

It will always be a bit of a challenge. Hide what you like, don't let others opinions influence you. These forums do not reflect the average cacher in my opinion.

Some things to consider:

Make sure that your container is positively waterproof. Recycled house or food containers rarely are.

If possible use write in the rain paper. This will save you lots of maintenance issues.

I agree with every word the dark one wrote.

For what it's worth, I prefer an interesting location. Micros are okay, but I cache with my kids most of the time and they enjoy the swag. They're pretty tough too, my 4 and 5 year olds will regularly accompany me to 3* terrain caches. A great view or historic part of the park is great. I'll reach through the computer and smack you if you drop a pill bottle in a parking lot.

when placing caches, do most people want one that are easy to find or challenging?
I enjoy caches with 4-star camouflage, but not everyone agrees with me. I have no idea what "most people" want though.

And frankly, I don't think it matters what "most people" want. It's your cache. Hide the kind of cache you'd like to own, that you'd like to maintain for the long term, and that you'd like other geocachers to think of when they meet you at local events.

For me personally:

1. It is mostly about the journey and the place. Give me a nice walk to a nice place and I'm happy.

2. I do enjoy challenging caches, but not so much difficult hides. What do I mean? Caches with clever puzzles, multiple stages, and a physical challenge (as long as I can do it), I love. A micro hidden in the woods with dense tree cover and no hint... don't like.

A micro hidden in the woods with dense tree cover and no hint... don't like.
Around here, we distinguish between "good evil hides" and "bad evil hides". A needle-in-a-haystack hide like that would be considered a "bad evil hide". A "good evil hide" is clever, often hidden in plain sight, and usually with no haystack to be seen. Within 10 minutes, you've searched "everywhere it could possibly be hidden", and then you're left trying to figure out where and how the cache owner actually hide it.

Some things to consider:

I will up the ante a little bit on the "Hide what you like" concept... hide what you will feel proud of.

And frankly, I don't think it matters what "most people" want. It's your cache. Hide the kind of cache you'd like to own, that you'd like to maintain for the long term, and that you'd like other geocachers to think of when they meet you at local events.

Bingo!

You hit the nail on the head. I hate forest micros and any kind of nano. But I fully support anyone who wants to hide one. It's your cache and if someone else disapproves then they don't need to waste their time looking for it, let alone whinging about it.

I suggest placing a cache you would like to find in a place you would like to find it. If you do this consistently then folks who share your tastes will seek out your hides while others may avoid them. The most popular hides, in terms of number of finders, are seldom the most interesting. But tastes vary. For myself, I've noticed there is a direct correlation between the effort evident in designing and placing a cache and my enjoyment of it. When the cache consists of a tiny roll of paper in a magnetic nano stuck on a iron fence in a public park 100 feet from the curb, well: easy to place, simple to maintain and a totally forgettable smiley after the first few. You've seen one; you've seen them all. Thanks for the number. But a walk in the woods, with a view of the water, up and down some hills with a couple of stages thoughtfully placed...a cache that blends in a bit and has some creativity to it... has an actual logbook and is in a location that shows some care and thought behind it..well, yeah: that's what I want to look for...

edexter

ayep.

55ebe006-4ca2-41df-ae51-46d40c76d291.jpg