Yard Caches

Packfan12

I despise front yard caches. They are almost as intrusive as Playground Structure caches. The cache owner should note that the home owner has been given permission and that the neighbors have been notified.

I wouldn't say I "despise" yard caches, but they do seem like a Really Bad Idea. And the above quote illustrates one of the things that I think makes them a Really Bad Idea.

Let's say I put a cache in my yard. I tell all the neighbors about it. They get used to seeing strange-looking folks poking around in my yard. What happens when a burglar shows up at my house? One thing for sure, my neighbors aren't going to call the cops... they'll just think the burglars are geocaching.

I have one in my front yard and the folks that do it seem to like it just fine. Mine is a bit different then some others I have seen, I have a big front yard (for the area) with the cache closer to the road then the house and the family next door knows all about it.

Just curious, what happens when a cacher trips and sprains his/her ankle on your property while searching for the cache? Most people really arn't sue happy but there's always a couple out there.

I have one in my front yard and the folks that do it seem to like it just fine. Mine is a bit different then some others I have seen, I have a big front yard (for the area) with the cache closer to the road then the house and the family next door knows all about it.

Just curious, what happens when a cacher trips and sprains his/her ankle on your property while searching for the cache? Most people really aren't sue-happy but there's always a couple out there.

People who are prone to sue will do so without a cache in your yard to attract them. Avoid them in your yard and you might run into them (causing grievous mental, emotional and physical harm in the process, natch) on the street.

I would like to think that most people who geocache are the rough-and-tumble outdoors-y sorts, who would balk at filing a lawsuit against a CO if they trip and twist an ankle during a yard cache. Being in a courtroom takes too much precious time away from the really important things in life: finding more caches. I know, this is whack-a-doodle (like my hope that Daniel Craig is out in the woods... with no shirt on... finding a cache where I'll bump into him... holding swag... from Tiffanies).

I just don't like yard caches because they make me feel conspicuous and exposed, and I feel like I'm not really working for them (like I would if I had to a significant hike to get to GZ). You're walking around a yard that doesn't belong to you with a GPSr. I can't hepl but think about how that looks to someone who has no idea what geocaching is or why people enjoy doing it. It's only a matter of time before someone confronts you with a bad attitude.

Just curious, what happens when a cacher trips and sprains his/her ankle on your property while searching for the cache? Most people really aren't sue-happy but there's always a couple out there.

People who are prone to sue will do so without a cache in your yard to attract them. Avoid them in your yard and you might run into them (causing grievous mental, emotional and physical harm in the process, natch) on the street.

I agree that people who are prone to sue will do so however, now that you have invited them on your property to find a cache they are a guest and not a tresspasser. Your legal obligations toward a guest are significantly higher than that owed to someone who is tresspassing.

Not fond of yard caches. Especially when the CO writes in the listing something like "be sure to wave to grandma". That just makes me feel like the eyes are upon me even if it doesn't look like anyone is at home. I have reluctantly done a couple of yard caches, and likely will do more, but would prefer not to.

Not fond of yard caches. Especially when the CO writes in the listing something like "be sure to wave to grandma". That just makes me feel like the eyes are upon me even if it doesn't look like anyone is at home. I have reluctantly done a couple of yard caches, and likely will do more, but would prefer not to.

There is nothing wrong with your GPS. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the latitude. We will control the longitude. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your GPS. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to...

of Yard Caching. Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

There is nothing wrong with your GPS. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the latitude. We will control the longitude. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your GPS. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to...

of Yard Caching.

lol, it's all about the addiction (aka mind control) isn't it! Boy, that clip sure brings back memories. The Outer Limits and the Twilight Zone were two of my favorite tv shows.

Generally, I feel very uncomfortable searching for caches in people's yards. I don't like the thought of them peeking through the curtains while I look for the cache. I only do them if I'm with someone else.

Here are 2 that I actually enjoyed, they were very creative. Both houses had the geocaching logo in plain sight so I knew I had the right property. At Break Time, the owners came out while we were discovering all the decoys (slightly unnerving) but they ended up giving us a personal caching tour of the city for the next few hours.

Break Time

BQ's Passport Office

While not yard caches, a week ago we had a cacher from the neighboring, valley come out here and place about seven urban micros at the head of cul-de-sacs and side streets that were created when the San Diego Fwy (I405) was added to the San Fernando Valley, back in the 50's. These are well established areas in a residential area. It is also in an area that has a high burglary rate. Every cache is in complete view of several houses and I expect someone sitting down watching TV will see the strange car and the strange guy feeling out the fence. After several cachers visits, my friend turned out to be the boiling point. He was approached on two of them, and felt uncomfortable enough by a barking dog and open garage door on an another to simply get the heck out of there. I have these on my watchlist, just so I can follow the drama. They will eventually end up on my ignore list.

If I am watching TV and I see out my window a stranger scoping out the neighborhood, I'm getting involved. Yard caches are fine if you live on a half acre, but in my neck of the woods, placing a cache in your yard, or worse, directly across from someone else's, is just a really, really bad idea.