GEO BUG INTO SPACE

FLY BOY

OK HERE IS MY GOAL. I WANT TO SEND A GEO BUG INTO SPACE. I HAVE BUZZ-LIGHT YEAR SITTING HERE GETTING READY TO HEAD TO CAPE CANAVERAL FOR HIS ADVENTURE. DOSE ANY ONE HAVE SOME IDEAS ON HOW TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN? OR DOSE ANY ONE KNOW A GEOCACHING ASTRONAUT? ONE BIG STEP FOR GEOCACHING.

[This message was edited by FLY BOY on September 27, 2002 at 01:37 AM.]

This one is way too easy. All you have to do is go the the top of a hill in Nevada on a clear night, stomp out a huge picture of your travel bug in the grass, put an aluminum foil helmut on your head, and chant five musical tones over and over. If you see strange lights, bend over and you may be rewarded with a travel bug from another galaxy. icon_wink.gif

GoPherStash

This one is way too easy. All you have to do is go the the top of a hill in Nevada on a clear night, stomp out a huge picture of your travel bug in the grass, put an aluminum foil helmut on your head, and chant five musical tones over and over. If you see strange lights, bend over and you may be rewarded with a travel bug from another galaxy. icon_wink.gif

GoPherStash

Unfortunately, you will not likely see Buzz go into space.

I imagine there may be a few astronauts who would find caching interesting, but any that will be flying soon are very busy with training.

Also, the cost of sending cargo into orbit is somewhere around $10,000 per pound, and astronauts are assigned a very strict weight limit for personal belongings. I'd have a hard time imagining any of them would give up a few precious ounces to bring a toy into space.

The goal, at this time, is a bit far-out. But in the future... this might be something that could happen.

There are ten (I believe) public NASA sites around the country... have Buzz visit one or any number of them.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by GoPherStash:

All you have to do is go the the top of a hill in Nevada on a clear night,..., put an aluminum foil helmut on your head, and chant five musical tones over and over.

_G_o_P_her_S_tash

This hill ok ? icon_wink.gif

icon_smile.gif

(Now on top of THAT would be a 5 star Cache!)

logo_small.jpg

quote:

All you have to do is go the the top of a hill in Nevada on a clear night,..., put an aluminum foil helmut on your head, and chant five musical tones over and over.

_G_o_P_her_S_tash

icon_smile.gif

logo_small.jpg

Devils Tower, right?

cool place. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Centaur:

quote:

_G_o_P_her_S_tash

http://www.centaur.org/vacation/tn_P9120519_JPG.jpg

Saw it on vacation. Or did I? icon_smile.gif

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com/img/logo_small.jpg

whack.gif

Devils Tower, right?

cool place. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Centaur:

quote:

_G_o_P_her_S_tash

http://www.centaur.org/vacation/tn_P9120519_JPG.jpg

Saw it on vacation. Or did I? icon_smile.gif

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com/img/logo_small.jpg

whack.gif

quote:
Originally posted by bloomcru:

By the way, have you ever read "Mississippi Solo" by Eddy L. Harris?

Yes, I have. In fact I have a copy of is somewhere. It's been a few years, though.

The most important thing I took from that book is that even a novice could paddle the river. I wasn't an experienced paddler, and to read about this guy that basically jumped in the boat and did it was a small bit of inspiration.

He focused too much on his race, though, in my opinion.

As for the reference. That particular clip, I just happened to run across a while back and was waiting for a good time to use it. A good google search would probably come up with the same thing.

Bret... That's probably been done already. icon_razz.gif Let me see if I can find a link.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by bloomcru:

By the way, have you ever read "Mississippi Solo" by Eddy L. Harris?

Yes, I have. In fact I have a copy of is somewhere. It's been a few years, though.

The most important thing I took from that book is that even a novice could paddle the river. I wasn't an experienced paddler, and to read about this guy that basically jumped in the boat and did it was a small bit of inspiration.

He focused too much on his race, though, in my opinion.

As for the reference. That particular clip, I just happened to run across a while back and was waiting for a good time to use it. A good google search would probably come up with the same thing.

Bret... That's probably been done already. icon_razz.gif Let me see if I can find a link.

Jamie

Y'know guys, Maybe you should spend a little more time investigating the possibilities instead of dismissing this goal out of hand.. (light ribbing here, no insults intended). There are several astronauts that regularly attend sci-fi conventions, Rick Searfoss being one of them. Some of them are heavy into sci-fi (where do you think they got the idea from) and are super people friendly. I spent a couple of hrs b.s.ing with Searfoss at a con about a year ago. I'll be willing to bet if a group of cachers caught up with one of these guys at a con (such as the one in NY in Jan) & presented the idea to him there would be a better then even chance of a TB in orbit.

See the attached image of astronauts on a trek set: (sorry it loaded here, I tried to make a clickable link to it. Don't know what happened.

searfoss1sml

I was invited to NASA to watch the 3rd shuttle launch a decade or so ago, but I know that after 9/11 NASA was not allowing civilians to visit shuttle launches. I believe they are now allowing it again. It's really not that hard to get access to these guys and again they really are people (read that Public Relations) friendly. Maybe a group of cachers backed by Jeremy could make some sort of request of NASA. Anyone actually tried this yet?

FlyBoy, Don't give up this goal... Make it happen!!

[This message was edited by Crusso on October 09, 2002 at 11:56 AM.]

Perhaps Poker Flats near Fairbanks, Alaska. They have small missiles that they launch for scientific research, and I've heard when they launch them for testing they've sometimes been used for interesting purposes. Maybe he could hitch a ride on a test shot. They've got a good sense of humor up there, so they might be willing to go for it.

quote:
Originally posted by GEO*Trailblazer # 1:

Build your own Buzz Rocket and launch him into space , I know some of them rocketeers are getting them pretty hi nowa day , just a buzz n the brain.....

Here is a solution that fits two suggestions

DO-launch1.jpg

mars.org.uk

The photo was taken in the Black Rock Desert in N. Nevada. N40 48.741 W119 07.335

"No Matter where you go there you are." - Bucaroo Bonzai

Nasa has something called a GAS CAN, which is a small payload that can be purchased on a shuttle. Information: http://sspp.gsfc.nasa.gov/gas/gas.html

Pricing is typically pretty expensive, and the program is on a space-available basis. Since the shuttle is still grounded, it's unlikely that the next flight will take any GAS cans; all payload will probably be taken up with more essential scientific programs.

That said, the best way to get it up there at this point is to have it hitchhike with an astronaut or cosmonaut. Or you could launch it with a satellite, but that would also be costly and a one-way trip.

quote:
Originally posted by rusty_tlc:
Originally posted by GEO*Trailblazer # 1:

Build your own Buzz Rocket and launch him into space , I know some of them rocketeers are getting them pretty hi nowa day , just a buzz n the brain.....

Here is a solution that fits two suggestions

http://www.mars.org.uk/news/200209230000/DO-launch1.jpg

http://www.mars.org.uk/stdpage3.php?view=news/200209230000.html

The photo was taken in the Black Rock Desert in N. Nevada. N40 48.741 W119 07.335

We should be back out in nevada again this year, and you#ll find our rates much cheaper than those quoted by NASA. Drop me a mail (I think my address is in my profile, or failing that, mail hatter@<the above domain&gticon_wink.gif and we'll see if we can sort something.

Getting the bug into space is the EASY part!!! The hard part will be actually LOGGING him into a cache in outer space. That means there would have to be a cache in outer space. What coordinates would be used...? N90 00.001 E180 00.001? Wouldn't that generate some sort of error? icon_eek.gif