The Wrath of Muggles

BaylorGrad

^ I've been in several public parks where caches are much closer to houses. Maybe this is just the nature of urban Geocaching.
So have I. And I have walked away from most of them. Just because a cache is on public property does not mean that looking for it is essentially an invasion of privacy, even if it wouldn't stand up to that claim legally. It is a matter of (cough!!) common sense.

There's one on clearly marked private land, a couple miles for where I live. I've left notes for the CO, but it's still there, along with about 4 NO TRESPASSING signs. :)

Wrong or right she was rude and ignorant. I love the "box thing' because GPS is so hard to spell. Maybe she was talking about the container, understandable she doesn't know how to spell that though. I mean Oprah hasn't had a special on it yet. If she did though then everything would be cool. She was probably afraid you were going to smell her meth lab.

Wow, can you tell I hate people?

Wrong or right she was rude and ignorant. I love the "box thing' because GPS is so hard to spell. Maybe she was talking about the container, understandable she doesn't know how to spell that though. I mean Oprah hasn't had a special on it yet. If she did though then everything would be cool. She was probably afraid you were going to smell her meth lab.

Well, there are people who do make it so very, very, very difficult to converse amicably with.

I think if I'd been in that spot I'd whip out my cell phone and start dialing. When they asked who I'm calling, I'd say, "My dad, the police chief."

I respect all of your comments (to the two of you who commented on proximity to private property and common sense), and in fact, I appreciate them. I really haven't been Geocaching all that long (162 finds since mid-June), so I'm still learning the ropes. Of course, I knew that I shouldn't cache on private property--but now I'll be MUCH more aware of my surroundings.

But as I said before, I saught the cache first at night, and then the next day at sunset... Plus I was trying to get a FTF, so I suppose some rationality went out the window there, haha! Kidding, of course. But in all honesty, I've been closer to houses--much closer, I've even been in back yards (of course, the CO made it explicitly clear that SHE owned the property AND had placed the cache! Even so, that one made me nerrrrrvous).

Oh--and "the box" was referring to the cache itself. As I said, "Ma'am--I'm trying to help you understand that more people might show up..." She replied, "Yeah, we already know about that box out there--so get on-line and tell people not to look for it anymore."

Something close to that.

I would have welcomed the call to the police. I have had a few run ins with the THPD and they all knew what Geocaching was. Each time, they stopped and asked what I was doing, I replied that I was geocaching. They all pretty much said ok and have fun or something along those lines.

All these I have been questioned by the THPD

GC15686

GCXYWV

GC282DK

GC278V4

This one we were questioned by Union Hospital Security as it is on their property...

GC1WJ49

A concerned neighbor questioned what we were doing on this one, but after the explanation, he was satisfied.

GC1B06D

So far been lucky that everyone has been civil.

We were searching for a nano in ivy when a car pulled up, the man got out and told us he was with the local neighbourhood watch committee. He wanted to know if this was a drug drop as he had seen many people in the area rummaging through the ivy. He calmed down after we explained geocaching, showed him the printed cache page. He looked at us again and said he realised we weren't druggies after all. When we explained the size of this particular hidden item he was amazed. He was so incensed at first, we thought the police had already been called, luckily that wasn't the case.

I suppose one could always hide the GPSr and act like a wrathful muggle to steal the FTF............... :)

I would have welcomed the call to the police. I have had a few run ins with the THPD and they all knew what Geocaching was. Each time, they stopped and asked what I was doing, I replied that I was geocaching. They all pretty much said ok and have fun or something along those lines.

All these I have been questioned by the THPD

GC15686

GCXYWV

GC282DK

GC278V4

This one we were questioned by Union Hospital Security as it is on their property...

GC1WJ49

A concerned neighbor questioned what we were doing on this one, but after the explanation, he was satisfied.

GC1B06D

So far been lucky that everyone has been civil.

Not surprised that you have been questioned at some of those locations... I imagine GC278V4 (One and Two-Thirds) brings about a lot of attention... Random people rummaging around what used to be a bank... Luckily I've had no run-ins with the THPD yet, but I bet I'll meet some by their police station when I go for that cache... Haha... GC1VCVE.

Some of you seem to be lacking a little perspective. Put yourself in the landowner's position for a second and pretend that you've never heard of the hobby.

I seriously hope that some of the opinions in the thread are not representative of the ambassadorship that happens out in the world.

In fairness, maybe the world could do with a calmer approach to trespassers. Perhaps the getting angry could be a secondary response. That would probably cause just a "few" less shootings and a little less work for police. Being civil gets the job done just as well.

I've had one encounter of this type, but with a property owner who was far more reasonable in his approach. There is a local business park which is landscaped better than most of our public parks. It has treed rest areas with picnic tables near ponds etc. Of course that makes it the type of place people decide to hide caches, not thinking about the fact that it's really one big parcel of private property. People do use it as a park in off-hours.

It was not really much of an issue until a new cacher with less than 50 finds placed one pretty much exactly where the undercover security guy parks his car. It was muggled the night it was published yet the guy went and hid another nearby. I showed up for "a quick find" but as a newbie the coords were horrible.

After a few minutes, one of the property owners was leaving for the day (7:00 pm or so) and he drove up and rolled down his window. I could tell he was on the unhappy side of things but he still decided to ask before yelling. I explained what I was doing and he indicated it was private property. I assured him I was not causing any harm and that most people looking would be respectful of the property while searching, and I offered to leave if he was still uncomfortable. He said that wasn't necessary.

I still decided not to stick around, since it wasn't at the posted coordinates and I was spooked, but it's been found a number of times, almost exclusively with security sitting right next to the person watching them. As far as I know that's only because of where it's placed because there are 10 others in the park and I never heard about security issues at them.

^ I've been in several public parks where caches are much closer to houses. Maybe this is just the nature of urban Geocaching.
So have I. And I have walked away from most of them. Just because a cache is on public property does not mean that looking for it is essentially an invasion of privacy, even if it wouldn't stand up to that claim legally. It is a matter of (cough!!) common sense.

There's one on clearly marked private land, a couple miles for where I live. I've left notes for the CO, but it's still there, along with about 4 NO TRESPASSING signs. :)

It's time to post the NA log and get the reviewer involved, then.

Well, there are people who do make it so very, very, very difficult to converse amicably with.

It would be pretty hard to converse amicably with ME, if I found you in my backyard. At night. Across the street from a prison.

It would be pretty hard to converse amicably with ME, if I found you in my backyard. At night. Across the street from a prison.

Haha, hey now, hey now... :) Although I searched for the 1st time at night, the property owners found me the next day around sunset. Their headlights weren't even on, so it wasn't quite "night."

Also--no sign that it was a backyard. Not even close. Check out Google street maps coming from the North, and then add in discarded utility poles to the scene--sure looks like public property.

I'll give you the "across the street from a prison" comment, but I certainly don't look like your stereotypical convict. I'm short, skinny, and have long blond hair... The only convict stereotype I have going for me is that I'm male.

Honestly, I think the main reason they were so upset was that I was probably not the first person they've found on their property--again, that's my guess. Maybe they should invest in a fence, or at the very, very least, a "Private Property--Do Not Trespass" sign.

Some of you seem to be lacking a little perspective. Put yourself in the landowner's position for a second and pretend that you've never heard of the hobby.

I seriously hope that some of the opinions in the thread are not representative of the ambassadorship that happens out in the world.

In fairness, maybe the world could do with a calmer approach to trespassers. Perhaps the getting angry could be a secondary response. That would probably cause just a "few" less shootings and a little less work for police. Being civil gets the job done just as well.

Agreed. It all depends on the situation and circumstances. If somebody comes up to my front door I'll probably at least talk to them before I send them on their way. if somebody approaches the house from the other direction, having traversed most of 80 or so acres of wooded land and popped up in the middle of the back pasture, I'd probably have the shotgun nearby, but out of view, as I called to them from afar. Random people appearing on parts of your property that you used to seeing people on without your knowledge is unnerving.

If I lived near a prison, I'd probably be a little more twitchy.

Once for me. The cache was just off a public footpath (but the footpath goes through private land - that is common for caches in the UK). The cache was just a few feet from the path, but near a stream. A muggle who said he was "responsible" for this area didn't like that I was near the stream as he said it was dangerous, and told me to leave immediately. He was not friendly, but not rude either. He was angry and direct. I left immediately, and logged a DNF (even though I could see the cache).

And a couple of times while following a public footpath, I accidentally took a wrong turn and ended up where I shouldn't be. In these cases I apologise profusely, and usually the muggles calm down. I now try very hard to keep on the correct path.

I agree with this. For some time now I've been learning how to boulder and rock climb, communities that have long had a turbulent relationship with private landowners, just like caching. Whether due to fear of injury resulting in a lawsuit, or dumping trash, or just creating trouble, private landowners have every right in this day and age to say who can come on their property and who can't (which includes getting upset when someone trespasses).

It's a shame that some people hide caches on private land and didn't ask permission.

As far as the rock climbing community, education and good ambassorship have gone a long way to open property and establishing good working relationships with landowners. The Southeast Climbing Coalition is a great example of this. CM is right... taking the higher road and not rising to the challenge of an irrate muggle is better for the caching community!

Edited by lil_cav_wings

I once got a very nasty note from a muggle homeowner who had joined Geocaching.com just to email me. It seems a newbie had been wandering in his neighborhood looking for my cache. She wasn't on any private property and wasn't causing problems. It was not a gated area, just an average housing development with some houses under construction. BTW, I live in the next group of houses from his. The muggle said he had called the police and insisted that I remove my cache from his neighborhood immediately. Since the cache was actually over 1000 feet from his house, on a major public street, I emailed him back, telling him this. I also told him it was a bit of an over reaction to call the police on the poor newbie, since she was doing nothing wrong. He did back down then and I haven't heard anything since. The cache is still in place though I did add a note not to go into the neighborhood on the cache page.

Edited by Slarm1

Only once for us.

We were looking for a cache that was somewhere along the back fence of a little rural cemetery. Less than a dozen headstones in it. A farmer rolled up on his 4-wheeler and said "What the heck are you looking for?"

We explained about geocaching and he replied that he had been seeing people stop here and all of them were looking around the fence. Turns out it was a family cemetery, and he lived just down the road. He spotted us, and jumped right on his 4-wheeler to find out what it was all about. He actually helped us find it, had no problem with it being there, and decided he would dust off that old garmin that he had on the shelf at home and try the game!

Oh yeah ... did you notice ... it was a farmer! sometimes they do listen, and aren't unreasonable at all!

Yesterday was a rough day--a really rough day. I had been accused of a crime that I did not commit, and spent most of the day defending myself (to no avail).

So when the day was over, I decided, "Well, I'll go pick up one of these new caches around town--that'll make me feel a little better!"

So, I grab my GPS and pen, and head out to GC2J8VA.

The location is near a neighborhood, but doesn't appear to be in the neighborhood. I can see houses in the distance through the trees. Also, the cache is at a relatively busy intersection.

So I head towards GZ, and search for about 20 seconds--and that was about it.

I hear a car behind me, and I see a truck pulling up. "Great!," I think to myself, "New Geocachers that I haven't met yet--how cool!"

Nope.

The truck pulls up about three feet from where I'm standing. A man is driving, a woman is in the passanger seat. The woman immediately holds up her cell phone and takes my picture. One of them says, "Who else is there?" and points into the wooded area. I reply honestly--"No one."

The woman launches into a rave about how this is private property (I know what you're thinking--no, there were no signs, I checked), and that she has both my picture and license plate number, and that if she ever sees me on the property again, she'll call the police.

"Fair enough," I think to myself, I would probably be upset also.

I said to her--"Yes ma'am, I understand. But please understand I wasn't trying to cause harm--see, this is a GPS, and I was just Geo--."

She interrupts me and says, "I know about the box thing, and I don't care. You need to leave."

I said, "Please--understand that others might show up--I'm trying to make you aware--."

Yet again, she cuts me off--"There's no 'yes ma'am' or 'no ma'am,' just LEAVE."

Needless to say, at this point I got in my car and left.

The CO had no idea that this was private property, and thought it was owned by the city as it appeared to be a dumping place for old, discarded utility poles. Apparently she was wrong, and I got quite and earful from it.

And in case there's any question about it--I immediately when and archived the cache.

- - - - -

So, that's my story. Has anyone else come across furious muggles?

It may or may not be private property, A few month ago I was out looking for a few caches and doing some photography and I found a note on my wind shield when I got back to my truck claiming I was parked in a private area. Well it was not and is not a private area. It was a so called up scale community, you know the ones were all the housed are paint the same color etc. There is even an access path were I parked so that people can access the public lands behind the homes.

THere are some people that think they have the right to control access to public lands because they feel they are better than others.

I

am going to back there soon and park my car in the same place but this time I will have several video camers set up with a note on my windsheild saying, "Watch your self on you tube tonight" it is public property so they have no expectaion of privacy.

I am think the place I found would be a good location for a flash mob event. LOL

Right on. I will hold my ground if I know I'm on public property. I'll even call the bluff about the police. I'm kind of a smart a** anyway so it's like sport to me. Geocaching on public property is legal, bottome line.

Yet again, she cuts me off--"There's no 'yes ma'am' or 'no ma'am,' just LEAVE."

Were you on a private road, too? :D

I actually was told once that I was by a land owner.

I was looking for a cache along the side of a public road, which butted up against the fence for an interstate. There was about a 6 foot buffer zone there, and it was pretty much at the end of the road. A truck came down the road, turned into the driveway, stopped, and the person got out and walked over to me. I talked to him about what I was doing and was told, politely, that it was private property. I explained about the buffer, and the fact that it was a public road, and he told me that he actually owned the road. At this point, I apologised, and left.

Interesting how the map showed it as a public road, about a quarter mile long, with several houses along it.

Oh well...

Many people living in villages hates strangers walking around their property. I know about cases when local inhabitants was expelling geocachers parking his cars near their houses.

Most bizarre case was man living on the end of village next to suitable place for parking the car. It was local weirdo convinced that all that strange people with GPS receivers are land traffickers wanting to buy land behind his house and build new houses there - that was something what he didn't allow in any case. He was very rude and some cachers has conflict with him.

Right on. I will hold my ground if I know I'm on public property. I'll even call the bluff about the police. I'm kind of a smart a** anyway so it's like sport to me. Geocaching on public property is legal, bottome line.

That's not always true. There are lots of places that are considered public property where geocaching is not allowed. As I understand it, most if not all Canadian provincial parks do not allow geocaching nor to most U.S. National parks.

That's not always true. There are lots of places that are considered public property where geocaching is not allowed. As I understand it, most if not all Canadian provincial parks do not allow geocaching nor to most U.S. National parks.

Yes there are a lot of public places that do not allow geocaching...but Nova Scotia Provincial Parks are working with the Atlantic Canada Geocaching Association and placing LOTS of caches in the parks. We had a NS parks challange this year. There was just and event with a bunch of caches placed in a national park in Nova Scotia.

I really think the key is to seek permission. To make sure someone knows that the cache is there whether its on public property or not.

There's one on clearly marked private land, a couple miles for where I live. I've left notes for the CO, but it's still there, along with about 4 NO TRESPASSING signs. :D

It's time to post the NA log and get the reviewer involved, then.

Yes, without delay. Otherwise the next seeker will potentially be put in an accidental trespass situation. Clearly posted NO TRESPASSING signs = automatic NA log in my book. Rare, but it happens occasionally.

She interrupts me and says, "I know about the box thing, and I don't care. You need to leave."

I thought about this story this weekend. Actually, I thought about this specific sentence.

It occurs to me that the only way the lady could have known about "the box thing" is if she had met some other geocacher poking around there before you arrived.

So some hapless geocacher had gone searching for this cache, and been chased off by an irate property owner. Yet that person still hasn't logged anything on this cache. Don't you wish that they had?

How hard would it have been to post a DNF: "Got chased off by an angry woman who claims this is her property"? Or even better, an NA.

Remember, people: We, the seekers of caches, are the quality control and peer review. If you encounter a cache that shouldn't be there, say something!

I thought about this story this weekend. Actually, I thought about this specific sentence.

It occurs to me that the only way the lady could have known about "the box thing" is if she had met some other geocacher poking around there before you arrived.

So some hapless geocacher had gone searching for this cache, and been chased off by an irate property owner. Yet that person still hasn't logged anything on this cache. Don't you wish that they had?

How hard would it have been to post a DNF: "Got chased off by an angry woman who claims this is her property"? Or even better, an NA.

Remember, people: We, the seekers of caches, are the quality control and peer review. If you encounter a cache that shouldn't be there, say something!

You're absolutely right--in fact, this is one of the things that made me the most upset. The fact that the woman knew about the cache meant that I certainly wasn't the first one she had to chase away. Not sure if I mentioned this in the original post, but she also told me "To get on-line and tell people to stop coming to this spot because it's private property." Pretty sure that's "ARCHIVE THE !@#$ CACHE" in muggle langauge.

What's worse... Someone went and found the cache after I posted my story about the angry couple... And after the owner archived the cache for this exact reason... Now that's gutsy!

What's worse... Someone went and found the cache after I posted my story about the angry couple... And after the owner archived the cache for this exact reason... Now that's gutsy!

He probably ran the Pocket Query between the time the cache got published and all the drama happened. I'm guessing that he didn't find out about the drama until he went to log the find.

About public vs private property.

I had a cache that I hid on a road allowance between two other roads that run crossways to it. There has never been a road there, ever, but there is a 4 wheeler trail down it to where the road continues. It shows on the maps as The Blind Fourth, and lined denoting the unused portion. So... public property, right?

WRONG!. Unknown to me, and probably anyone else but those involved, the land was sold to the local farmers whose land abut it. When I found out, I researched who owned it and asked if the cache was OK. He was nice about it, but asked if I could remove it. He's trying to stop the 4 wheelers too, and will probably cut down the tress along the old right-of-way and plough it up before long.

So .. the maps certainly don't tell the whole truth!

Maps are sometimes outdated as well. I know there was an old trail by my parents' house which was used by people walking and ATVing and snowmobiling. The guy next to trail ended up buying the property of the trail as well and had a heck of a time stopping people from using it recreationally. I think there's stilll some maps laying around indicating it's owned by the rail road still.

We had a cache in our area that was inadvertently on private property.

The landowner confronted a cacher, and the initial meeting was somewhat "tense". The cacher explained the story, the landowner said okay, but the cache has to go, the land owner apologized profusely for the initial confrontation, and gave permission for the cacher (and me) to return later to remove the cache.

And the landowner is now an avid cacher. <_<

The landowner confronted a cacher, and the initial meeting was somewhat "tense". The cacher explained the story, the landowner said okay, but the cache has to go, the land owner apologized profusely for the initial confrontation, and gave permission for the cacher (and me) to return later to remove the cache.

So did he put a cache there?

Indeed, I think that you will find that almost all of the irate land owner stories that have been told in this thread involve more than one incident. Rarely will the first time really piss a landowner off to the point of getting visibly angry.

I was asked to leave once and the CO archived the cache when I relayed my experience. Another time I was followed for miles down a county road until I stopped. An elderly couple wanted to know what I was doing and said I was on their property. I was not, I drove by homes on the county road and turned around on a county road but I never got off the county road. THey just didn't like people in their neighborhood. If I had been thinking, I would have turned the tables by snapping their photos and getting their license plate (they were threatening to give my license plate to the police if anything happened in their neighborhood).

If it looks iffy, I just leave.

So did he put a cache there?

No, his concern was liability from public entering the property. I don't think anybody has a problem with that. But he has planted lots of caches in other interesting spots in the area that he knows about.

He probably ran the Pocket Query between the time the cache got published and all the drama happened. I'm guessing that he didn't find out about the drama until he went to log the find.

You're completely right--hadn't even thought of that.

I had a fun one in Erie, PA. We stopped to visit a guardrail cache and the owner of the nearby house came out yelling. Then back in the house. Then back out and more yelling about how you people can't just do whatever you want on other people's property. We tried to reason with the homeowner that we would remove the cache and have the listing removed from the site and just wouldn't have it. We eventually got back in the car and drove off to another cache in the area. I should mention we had out of state plates - actually out of country plates as we were visiting from Ontario, Canada.

On the way back from the beach cache (where we got great sunset photos) the house had two local police cars parked at it and the muggle was pointing out our car as we drove past toward the Interstate. Fortunately the police did not decide to follow us.

That's something I want to point out as we had three incidents on that particular day (the other two were commercial hides that owner's of the stores didn't approve of but were much more humane conversations). When you place a cache, think about how a cacher will be perceived by the locals when they seek it. Then remember that not all cachers are locals. Think about how the locals will perceive it when someone starts snooping around with a rental car or out of state/country/planet plates.

It'll be a long time before I go caching in Erie again. That cache on the guardrail got archived pretty darn quick.

[

Right on. I will hold my ground if I know I'm on public property. I'll even call the bluff about the police. I'm kind of a smart a** anyway so it's like sport to me. Geocaching on public property is legal, bottom line.

Great, try this in Southern California, where we have no right to carry. Fence hide across the street from an open garage with fifteen dudes hanging out, getting high and getting drunk. I'm afraid that my Constitutional rights are not at the top of my mind. Getiing the heck out of there is.

I think I need to move to Texas.