Searching by age

SgtMikal

Is it possible to search for caches by age? There is a challenge cache near me that involves finding a cache published in each year since 2000, but I am not sure how to look for caches published in a certain year without recognizing the shorter GC code after running through a long list. Is there an easier way?

Hi SgtMikal!

Yes, you can search by age or even a specific difficulty/terrain by using one of your premium member perks - pocket queries! Check them out!

Once you find one old cache, you may find another geocacher has created a shared bookmark which will also help you.

Enjoy Your Geocaching Adventures especially the oldies but goodies!

Is it possible to search for caches by age? There is a challenge cache near me that involves finding a cache published in each year since 2000, but I am not sure how to look for caches published in a certain year without recognizing the shorter GC code after running through a long list. Is there an easier way?

You can set up a pocket query. One of parameters is "Placed During" and has a date range. You could enter 2001 to whatever date is the cutoff for the challenge".

Otherwise there is probably some way to use that GSAK thing (which I have yet to download).

PS, when I saw your location of Waynesborough I figured I found another local. I didn't realize there was a town of Waynesborough, which is also the name of Mad Anthony's estate out here. It has its own traditional cache He Was Mad GCYQAF

Edited by John in Valley Forge

You can set up a pocket query. One of parameters is "Placed During" and has a date range. You could enter 2001 to whatever date is the cutoff for the challenge".

Otherwise there is probably some way to use that GSAK thing (which I have yet to download).

PS, when I saw your location of Waynesborough I figured I found another local. I didn't realize there was a town of Waynesborough, which is also the name of Mad Anthony's estate out here. It has its own traditional cache He Was Mad GCYQAF

Actually, you did find another local (indirectly). Although Waynesboro, PA is about 125 miles to your west, I grew up in Wayne, PA, and went to high school in K of P. My parents now live in Glenmoore, so we come to visit the area several times a year.

In fact, there was a multi hidden on a trail in McKaig's Nature Center a while back that I would have loved to try to find (I don't remember who was the hider). The reason I was so intrigued by that hide was because it was along a one-mile loop trail in the woods, and that trail was my Eagle Scout Project about 25 years ago! I was thrilled to see that my trail was still being used!!

But watch pocket query results. They will be based on "Date Placed", which is not the same as, and can be quite a bit different to, "Date Published". There could easily be as much as a month's difference between the two dates.

So if you are looking for caches published in a certain year (2001 for example), I'd set the PQ parameters to March 2001 to Dec 2001, just to avoid those dates where the placed date could be in a different year (2000) to the published date.

Then just double check the ones you are going for to make sure they were actually published in the right year.

As far as I know there is no way to search by Date Published.

Actually, you did find another local (indirectly). Although Waynesboro, PA is about 125 miles to your west, I grew up in Wayne, PA, and went to high school in K of P. My parents now live in Glenmoore, so we come to visit the area several times a year.

In fact, there was a multi hidden on a trail in McKaig's Nature Center a while back that I would have loved to try to find (I don't remember who was the hider). The reason I was so intrigued by that hide was because it was along a one-mile loop trail in the woods, and that trail was my Eagle Scout Project about 25 years ago! I was thrilled to see that my trail was still being used!!

No way! Small world. Your name would be on the plaque at the start of the trail listing all the Eagle projects in the park. I was in 481 (MDP) for years and got my Eagle with 308 (the church by the police station). I personally did not attend UM. Those were the dark days of Principal Smith and I went elsewhere.

They replaced Roberts school a few years back with a beautiful new one. McKaig now has 4 good quality caches in it. The trails are in great shape and very heavily used.

No way! Small world. Your name would be on the plaque at the start of the trail listing all the Eagle projects in the park. I was in 481 (MDP) for years and got my Eagle with 308 (the church by the police station). I personally did not attend UM. Those were the dark days of Principal Smith and I went elsewhere.

They replaced Roberts school a few years back with a beautiful new one. McKaig now has 4 good quality caches in it. The trails are in great shape and very heavily used.

I earned my Eagle Scout on 10/15/1986 as a 15-year-old scout in Troop 284 (we met at Wayne Presbyterian Church). When I moved away from the area (in 1992), there was no plaque at McKaig's, so I am not sure if my name would be on it or not. If it is, I would love it if you would be willing to send me a picture of it. If you email me through my profile, I'll let you know my name, in case you might be able to stop by.

I went to Roberts School, and graduated from UMHS in 1989. Smith was long gone by then.

The quickest way to find the oldest caches (2000 and 2001, typically) in a state is to simply use the "find a geocache" screen and then seach by your state - then click the ">>" link to go back the beginnning of the resulting list (which will take you to the oldest caches in your state, since the list is generated by cache age.) No PQ required!

Otherwise, GSAK is the way to go - try it once, you'll never go back.

The quickest way to find the oldest caches (2000 and 2001, typically) in a state is to simply use the "find a geocache" screen and then seach by your state - then click the ">>" link to go back the beginnning of the resulting list (which will take you to the oldest caches in your state, since the list is generated by cache age.) No PQ required!

Otherwise, GSAK is the way to go - try it once, you'll never go back.

Ahhh...yes! This is what I was looking for! Thanx so much!!

Unfortunately, even that is not perfect. In New Jersey we now have 7(!!) listings that predate the true oldest cache in the Garden State (GCC8.) Two are listed as placed in 1940 and five in 1985. Regardless of how "cute" that may be in regards to the listings, and I know you could figure it out by looking at the GC#, it should not be allowed and I hope it does not become commonplace ;)

Unfortunately, even that is not perfect. In New Jersey we now have 7(!!) listings that predate the true oldest cache in the Garden State (GCC8.) Two are listed as placed in 1940 and five in 1985. Regardless of how "cute" that may be in regards to the listings, and I know you could figure it out by looking at the GC#, it should not be allowed and I hope it does not become commonplace ;)

I completely agree with you that trend is disturbing. But using the method described above will allow me to at least start searching. I would have to bring up each one anyway to find out how far away it is, y'know?