WAAS 46 declared operational

xyzee

Played around with my 62/Oregon/Dakota this morning and while they all pick up 46 they display the location of the satellite incorrectly on the sat page. From where I am it should be roughly SW about 35 degrees elevation and the GPS shows it as due E at about 10-15 degrees elevation - similar to Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide's images above. It might be just a visual issue but I wonder if these errors affect how the unit picks which WAAS satellite to use (or try first).

Played around with my 62/Oregon/Dakota this morning and while they all pick up 46 they display the location of the satellite incorrectly on the sat page. From where I am it should be roughly SW about 35 degrees elevation and the GPS shows it as due E at about 10-15 degrees elevation - similar to Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide's images above. It might be just a visual issue but I wonder if these errors affect how the unit picks which WAAS satellite to use (or try first).

Maybe you have to wait for the new almanac(yes, WAAS sats can be used for position data calculations). It is geosynchronous (over the equator, orbits once per day) at 98W.

Blue here:

GeoFootPrint.gif

g-o-c, I was thinking that your, and Dr J's, units were starting out, trying to pickup EGNOS 33, which some have reported getting from the E Coast of the US. I went to the Demo Mode and positioned myself at your L/L, then a GO TO to EGNOS 33, and see that it is more SE than E from your local, so that killed that theory. Another Cartesio bug?

My GPS 60 keeps on trying to solid bar 46 for a few min, then pulling in 48 and 51. as long as I don't have more than 10 sats overhead; with up to 14 at on time, it settles on 51, usually.

The 60CSx SiRF used 46 fo several days streight, now using 51 for thr last two days.

The MTK chipped 60Cx, might pick any one of the three.

The SporTrak and Meridian still just pick up 48 and 51, showing as one W, from this Ut location. I doubt that the older Maggies will be updated, like they were in 07, And I wonder about the new units from Magellan, catching 46 yet?

The next stage testing will be after 48 is shutdown.

I made a waypoint for WAAS 46 and 51, so I could make a Go To from any location, and see what might be blocking the WAAS signal. Aim the Map Page N like a paper map, then view the line. Zoom in and out as needed.

Later I made up a route for the WAAS sats.

Home

W 46

Home

W 51

By putting Home in the third slot, it cut out unwanted lines.

Then zoom out 500 mi on the Garmins, and see a slight curve in the lines

Also, for some idea as to high the WAAS sats are from the horizion, look at the aiming of a local Sat TV dish, as they are in the same ball park, as the WAAS sats.

Let the fun testing continue.....

Seems like my 60csx has an affection for #46. It locks on quick and holds on for dear life. My Oregon 300 on the other hand wants to lock on #51 right off the bat, but after 10-15 minutes it finds #46. I also see #48 at times too with the Oregon. Comparing accuracy they all seem to be about equal.