Canadian Badlands Geocaching - Best of the Bad 2011

Landsharkz

The Town of Three Hills, Alberta extends a warm, small town invitation to come and experience the Canadian Badlands at their best – at the Best of the BAD Mega Event July 16, 2011! Enjoy the amazing vistas, small town hospitality and our big country geocaching. Geological treasures from dinosaurs to hoodoos to the fabulous Red Deer River basin are the backdrop for this region’s cultural history and natural (or intrinsic?) beauty. Explore an all-new GPS Adventure Maze, meet Signal and marvel at the baddest collection of dinosaur bones in the world. Bring the family, bring the dog, bring your sense of adventure… the Badlands is where it’s happening next summer!

Be sure to visit the Best of the Bad GC.com listing where you can log your RSVP or ‘will attend’ and check out their website at Best of the Bad.ca

I am so looking forward to this! I drove through the area a few weeks ago and found a few nice caches along the way. I also stopped to book my hotel room for the event! I had thought of camping, but I think I'd rather know I can escape from the heat if the weather turns out hot.

Looking forward to being bad...

Woohoo!

We've got a great bunch of volunteers to organize this. I'm looking forward to having a mega so close to home. I'm booking vacation time around this so will be around Three Hills for the better part of two weeks. Suits me fine, after Victoria last year and GW VIII this year I'm ready to camp 'in my own backyard'.

Looking forward to meeting many new people and seeing others again.

Sounds like a great event and in an area of the country that I've been wanting to visit for awhile. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from Calgary airport?

Hi there, thanks for your interest in the Badlands. Some people would say it takes less time (they have a heavier foot than me :angry:) but I would say budget 90 minutes to drive, longer of course because you'll want to cache on the way out.

Edited by mrcanoehead224

Awesome EVENT!!!

Let me know if you would like some remote help creating a Wherigo for the event.

Thanks Tequila, if you hadn't guessed by now, I'm an enthusiastic volunteer for the event. I speak here as an avid cacher, not as official representative. But I know Wherigos were one of the things I wanted to see in Three Hills and area as I want to see how many icons I can get that day.

With your offer, are you meaning techincal support in setting one up or some other capacity? If you reply here or PM me, I'll pass the info along to the rest of our volunteer organizing group.

Looks like fun! We'll see if we can make the road-trip over! :angry:

A little birdy (or was it a sharky?) told me that Team Pawz may be organizing a convoy from the Island. You would be most welcome here.

I was thinking of attending because we'll be at another event a couple weeks before. Hey, I even know Team Pawz!

There have been many posts about this subject on local forums thanks to landsharkz. Great job spreading the word!

Awesome EVENT!!!

Let me know if you would like some remote help creating a Wherigo for the event.

Thanks Tequila, if you hadn't guessed by now, I'm an enthusiastic volunteer for the event. I speak here as an avid cacher, not as official representative. But I know Wherigos were one of the things I wanted to see in Three Hills and area as I want to see how many icons I can get that day.

With your offer, are you meaning techincal support in setting one up or some other capacity? If you reply here or PM me, I'll pass the info along to the rest of our volunteer organizing group.

I would be happy to write the cartridge if someone out there comes up with a theme/story and the waypoints.

Sounds like a great event and in an area of the country that I've been wanting to visit for awhile. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from Calgary airport?

Roughly 90 minutes but beware this is scheduled at the end of the Stampede so expect delays at the airport until you can get on the road.

Off all the Canadian airports we've had the pleasure of visiting, I'd have to say that the Calgary International Airport is our all time favourite. There is art everywhere... on the walls, hanging from the ceiling, in the floor even on the baggage carousels! There are real restaurants where you can sit and have a leisurely meal, drink or snack with friends and the shops are worth browsing too. Enjoy your delay if you have one and if not, try to arrive back a bit early so you can enjoy the airport art and culture for a bit before leaving.

Off all the Canadian airports we've had the pleasure of visiting, I'd have to say that the Calgary International Airport is our all time favourite. There is art everywhere... on the walls, hanging from the ceiling, in the floor even on the baggage carousels! There are real restaurants where you can sit and have a leisurely meal, drink or snack with friends and the shops are worth browsing too. Enjoy your delay if you have one and if not, try to arrive back a bit early so you can enjoy the airport art and culture for a bit before leaving.

In fact, some of the art could get you a smiley...

And is it wrong to shamelessly plug my own cache, just a short walk from the terminal?

Yay! I'm leaving in a week to start geocaching in the area! I've been pondering my plans around the Best of the Bad mega event for a while (haven't finalized them yet), but I'm interested to know what other people are planning and if there would be an opportunity to hook up with some other cachers prior to the event. That being said, here are my tentative plans:

July 11 or 12 - Depart Saskatoon and drive to Calgary, possibly finding a few caches on the way

July 12 or 13 - A day trip to Banff (possibly with a friend from Calgary if she can get the day off) - will be most likely taking the gondola to the top of Sulphur Mountain so I can log the virtual cache there. May also go to one of the hot springs to veg in some hot water (and log an earthcache)!

July 14 - attend the Floating through the Badlands canoe event. After that, cache at some nice areas nearby - like The forest in the Badlands and/or some of the caches at Dry Island Buffalo Jump provincial park

July 15 - this is my planned day of caching mayhem! I have 2 goals this day a) find at least 6 different cache types and B) find at least 50 caches. I plan to cache around Three Hills and area until the GPS maze event starts at 11 (yay for free BBQ), go through the GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit, then take the Legacy Trail to Drumheller. I've also pinpointed a few puzzle/multi/virtual/earth caches to find around Drumheller, and plan to attend the Meet and Greet that runs from 4-8 pm. Then it will be back to Three Hills for a satisfying night's sleep!

July 16 - the Mega Day!!! I hope to meet lots of cachers, hang out, check out displays and seminars, and have a fun time. I'm not sure if I'll go to the Geocoin event or not.

July 17 - head back home and get ready to start a new job!

Anyone else have any plans made?

First a cheap Cruise: We're catching a Saturday morning ferry to cruise through the incredible Gulf Islands B)

Then some EarthCaching in either the Fraser Canyon or Okanagan - we're leaving that part of the routing to the teens to decide since we like it all!

Add a couple of Rocky Mountain days in Lake Louise/Banff area hiking and exploring,

Finally a full day of the Calgary Stampede complete with Rodeo, Midway and Grandstand tickets! (I lived in AB for 9 years and never really DID the Stampede!)

On Thursday we'll arrive at Three Hills ready for a rest! :lol: We'll have Tieka so we're not canoeing but we're looking forward to hearing all your stories and seeing pics!

On Sunday we're heading home with detours in the Badlands and then the US. We're not sure which route we'll be taking yet, we might go the Kootenays and then south, but we're considering stopping in to visit Tsun in Helena, Lisa at Cache Advance in Spokane or might just going straight to the beach and dunes at Cannon Beach/Seaside Oregon. I guess we better figure that out this week :blink: .

Our amazing assistant Robyn is sticking around the office to make sure our mail and orders are all looked after.

Helen

@landsharkz on Twitter to follow tweets of our adventures and journey to Best of the BAD!!

July 11 or 12 - Depart Saskatoon and drive to Calgary, possibly finding a few caches on the way

possibly?!? :laughing:

July 14 - attend the Floating through the Badlands canoe event. After that, cache at some nice areas nearby - like The forest in the Badlands and/or some of the caches at Dry Island Buffalo Jump provincial park

good choice, see you on the water!

July 15 - ... caching mayhem! I have 2 goals this day a) find at least 6 different cache types...

you had me at 6 different! Three Hills has a couple of puzzles, then there are the multis (I suggest Atlas Mine Test Hole, Murray Mine Test Hole and Sage Advice) and the virtual around Drum. (Make sure you have the photo from the cache page for Cambria) All of which you will pass near on the way to East Coulee for the Friday night event. Also shouldn't be an issue getting 50 that day with the Legacy Trail now in place.

July 16 - the Mega Day!!!

I too will be meeting lots of great cachers and this will be my busy day challenge. Trad, multi, puzzle (been saving one for this day), Mega, EC and whatever else comes along. I'm also aiming to get the Mega as my 1400th.

July 17 - head back home and get ready to start a new job!

head to Fairmont and celebrate my daughter's 14th birthday!

Finally a full day of the Calgary Stampede complete with Rodeo, Midway and Grandstand tickets! (I lived in AB for 9 years and never really DID the Stampede!)

I've lived in Alberta my whole life and the last 6 years in Calgary. Saturday the 9th will be my first time at the chucks and grandstand show. Edited by mrcanoehead224

July 15 - ... caching mayhem! I have 2 goals this day a) find at least 6 different cache types...

you had me at 6 different! Three Hills has a couple of puzzles, then there are the multis (I suggest Atlas Mine Test Hole, Murray Mine Test Hole and Sage Advice) and the virtual around Drum. (Make sure you have the photo from the cache page for Cambria) All of which you will pass near on the way to East Coulee for the Friday night event. Also shouldn't be an issue getting 50 that day with the Legacy Trail now in place.

So I have my eye on a few particular caches around Drumheller for my non-traditional caches:

Virtual: Dino in Drum, where I hope to reenact a photo from many years ago where my friends and I pretended to run in fear from the rampaging dinosaur

Puzzle: Star St®uck Rosedale &/or Finale Finally! Rosedale

Multi: Murray Mine Test Hole (need it for another puzzle cache)

and then there's a few earthcaches in the Drumheller area

I'm still hoping a Wherigo and a letterbox cache will be published in the area too! And if 50 caches seems like a piddly little goal, I'd really like to find 100! I'm trying to qualify for as many challenge caches as I can... mostly in Utah and California, to find on my honeymoon in September!

Dronnord's trying to goad me into finding the last couple of D/T combos I need, but I don't see how I can do it unless someone can take me out on the Bow River near Cochrane on the 12th or 13th. I don't even know if it is safe to do so right now - the S. Sask. River is so high right now, so I imagine the Bow is probably running pretty swiftly. I still need a 1/5 and a 1.5/5 (will get the 1/4.5 in Banff).

Dronnord's trying to goad me into finding the last couple of D/T combos I need, but I don't see how I can do it unless someone can take me out on the Bow River near Cochrane on the 12th or 13th. I don't even know if it is safe to do so right now - the S. Sask. River is so high right now, so I imagine the Bow is probably running pretty swiftly. I still need a 1/5 and a 1.5/5 (will get the 1/4.5 in Banff).

Yes, I'm quoting myself!

Or I could find a 1/5 virtual on Lake Louise and a 1.5 traditional on the Bow River in Calgary. Is it worth rushing out to spend a bunch of money to do this, when I could just wait a few weeks and hope my fiance can make time to take me out canoeing? Honestly, I hate waiting and would rather just finally get it done!! Maybe I could buy myself an inflatable kayak as an early wedding gift...

Yes, I'm quoting myself!

Or I could find a 1/5 virtual on Lake Louise and a 1.5 traditional on the Bow River in Calgary. Is it worth rushing out to spend a bunch of money to do this, when I could just wait a few weeks and hope my fiance can make time to take me out canoeing? Honestly, I hate waiting and would rather just finally get it done!! Maybe I could buy myself an inflatable kayak as an early wedding gift...

Yes I'm quoting myself again!

So I found the kayak I was looking at for a cheaper price at a different store... a store I also had $90 in gift cards given to me at my wedding shower last week. So just like any young bride I bought myself an inflatable kayak. So I guess I'll be adding in the trip to Lake Louise on the same day I go to Banff! Then that just leaves a 1.5/5 to find that was published prior to Jan. 1/10 - maybe one of the ones in Calgary or one at Sylvan Lake???

frankly, these intimidate me. I haven't finished them yet.

Multi: Murray Mine Test Hole (need it for another puzzle cache)

good call again

and then there's a few earthcaches in the Drumheller area

a few you say hey? :ph34r:

I'm still hoping a Wherigo...
hmmm, interesting idea

just like any young bride I bought myself an inflatable kayak... Then that just leaves a 1.5/5 to find that was published prior to Jan. 1/10 - maybe one of the ones in Calgary...

perfectly practical wedding gift if you ask me... If I weren't so busy, I'd say let's hit the water. Those river caches I'm sure you're thinking of are on my 1st and 2nd page of closest to home unfound.

Oh, and as far as the CITO goes, feel free to log it any day. The CO says it's alright. :anibad:

We'll be in the Lake Louise and Banff area on the 12th also and kayaking or canoeing is on our agenda too! We've got all those terrain/diff's so may not head to the caches, but there's no better way to experience the beautiful lakes in the Rockies than from out in the middle of them!

Just to make it a bit more clear and not buried in my multi quote above, We have a new Legacy Trail that has great views all along the way. I've done parts of it and I can't wait to go back and do more.

And here is a list of official/known events happening on the way to and from the Mega. Hope it helps...

Thanks for the two very useful links.

10 year old E of Team_BG and I are flying into Calgary on July 13th.

We'll attend the Floating through the BADlands canoe trip event on July 14th, then go to some of Friday's satellite events (Gone to the Dogs for sure as we're bringing a very big stuffed dog TB that needs a new home.

Then we'll be enjoying the MEGA on Saturday, pancakes on Sunday, some more touring and caching on Monday on the way to the airport for the flight home to Ontario. Whew! We may need a vacation to recover from our vacation.

I must confess my head is spinning as I sort through the many possible caches to hunt on this trip. It's going to be hard to narrow down the list.

I must confess my head is spinning as I sort through the many possible caches to hunt on this trip. It's going to be hard to narrow down the list.

To make your life just that much easier, we've just had a new Wherigo and a CITO published.

Other than that though, centre your search on either of these and sort by favourites. Lots of good caches show up there. Quite a few of them are pretty much along your path anyway.

To make your life just that much easier, we've just had a new Wherigo and a CITO published.

Other than that though, centre your search on either of these and sort by favourites. Lots of good caches show up there. Quite a few of them are pretty much along your path anyway.

Thanks!

From the research I've done so far, it looks as if it's almost impossible to drive or walk anywhere in the Badlands without stumbling over a cache or three. The BoB committee has done an amazing job.

From the research I've done so far, it looks as if it's almost impossible to drive or walk anywhere in the Badlands without stumbling over a cache or three. The BoB committee has done an amazing job.

Hear, hear! Awesome job everyone! I've just been reading the schedule of events - looks like it's going to be an amazing time! I'm looking forward to seeing what the last few Legacy Trail caches entail... and I'm excited to go find the cache I sponsored! And I've been solving the new puzzles to find! And I think I'm turning into a teenager again, I'm so giddy and excited!

The kid's in this house can't stop asking how many sleeps now. They are so excited to get there and do everything they can and meet as many people as possible. Ok well mainly this is all coming from the 8 year old but he is getting the 3 year old going also. I think the only thing the oldest is upset about is that his traders made specifically for this event have not got here in the yet, and we are not sure they will make it in time.

We will be heading out Thursday morning and caching our way south to camp for the weekend. We should be able to pick up some new types we have never done, the only one we are having an issue figuring out is Wherigo. We are hoping we can meet someone who need it and knows how to do them that we can join in a group and find. I think our first problem is we have a lower end GPS that doesn't play them?

Edited by TreasureKid's
the only one we are having an issue figuring out is Wherigo. We are hoping we can meet someone who need it and knows how to do them that we can join in a group and find. I think our first problem is we have a lower end GPS that doesn't play them?

Do you have an iPhone? you can get a whizzy app for that. I'm sure though there will be plenty of people that can help you out as well.

just arrived in Edmonton today and first day of caching was a success, even though the numerous downpours got us running for cover :laughing:

Welcome to Alberta! Hot weather today in Calgary, a bit overcast at times but no showers. sorry. B) Edited by mrcanoehead224

just arrived in Edmonton today and first day of caching was a success, even though the numerous downpours got us running for cover :laughing:

Welcome to Alberta! Hot weather today in Calgary, a bit overcast at times but no showers. sorry. B)

gonna hit Strathcona Wilderness 1 today and visit the Jurassic Forrest and moving over to Hinton tomorrow, where the forecast looks good :D

Edited by t4e

Excellent choice(s)!

These caches are sentimental faves of mine. We found them during the Badlands Cache Quest weekend back in 2006. There was a group of four of us sitting around the picnic table with laptops and graph paper working on the solution while 3jaze himself stood over our shoulders chuckling to himself. We then went on a frantic middle-of-the-night search to get the actual finds because we knew there was another group of Calgary cachers coming out first thing in the morning who were trying to beat us to them.

Those sorts of memories are what making cache worthwhile -- that and the string of foul language that came out of BearGPS when he realized the object he found in the dark was indeed a cactus and NOT the cache. :laughing:

Wish I could be there next weekend with everyone, but my Ghost Town Convention in SK won the time conflict this year. Have a great time everyone!

Another quick question for the Wherigo caches. It was said I could use a iPhone to play them, which we don't have. We do have a iPod though and are wondering if we can play it on there or do we need the internet access of a iPhone. If we can do it on the iPod then does anyone know the app name we need to get? At that point I am guessing we just download it to the iPod and play it.

Another quick question for the Wherigo caches. It was said I could use a iPhone to play them, which we don't have. We do have a iPod though and are wondering if we can play it on there or do we need the internet access of a iPhone. If we can do it on the iPod then does anyone know the app name we need to get? At that point I am guessing we just download it to the iPod and play it.

If it's an iPod touch you can dowload the "Wherigo" app for it however I can honestly say I'm not sure about needing internet access. There will be WiFi available around the Mega venue itself so you can download the cartridge either from home or there, and then log your find after but during is hard to say without testing it first. Mrcanoehead224 may know as he's more iPod savvy than I. If he doesn't know and if I have time on Wednesday I'll be in Three Hills and I'll give it a test run by turning WiFi off on my iPhone or borrow one of the kids' iPods signalsmile.gif

Thank you for that but from what I managed to find out last night I don't think we will be able to do it on our own. I am sure we had the right app as it was the only one that came up with the search. So once we found his iPod and charged it we tried to install the app and got an error message "This app requires the iPhone 4.2 software". So it looks like our first plan of trying to find another group who can do them and wouldn't mind a tag along family for the fun is the way we are gonna have to go.

Thank you for that but from what I managed to find out last night I don't think we will be able to do it on our own. I am sure we had the right app as it was the only one that came up with the search. So once we found his iPod and charged it we tried to install the app and got an error message "This app requires the iPhone 4.2 software". So it looks like our first plan of trying to find another group who can do them and wouldn't mind a tag along family for the fun is the way we are gonna have to go.

That's so odd, I know mrcanoehead224 has it on his iPod as he doesn't use iPhone so if he sees your comment hopefully he can help out. If it still doesn't work out for you, there will be a bulletin board set up with a section just for pairing up cachers ;). Or, if you track me down I'll make sure it's loaded in my GPSr and I'll be happy to loan it to you. Send me an email at the addy below and I'll should get it pretty quickly. antenna.gif Or just track down the short redhead with the "I'm one of the BAD guys" shirts coolsignal.gif

That's so odd, I know mrcanoehead224 has it on his iPod as he doesn't use iPhone so if he sees your comment hopefully he can help out. If it still doesn't work out for you, there will be a bulletin board set up with a section just for pairing up cachers ;). Or, if you track me down I'll make sure it's loaded in my GPSr and I'll be happy to loan it to you. Send me an email at the addy below and I'll should get it pretty quickly. antenna.gif Or just track down the short redhead with the "I'm one of the BAD guys" shirts coolsignal.gif

Yup, I got the 4.2 message as well. When you sync with iTunes it should give you the option to upgrade. It's worked good for me so far so I would say go ahead and do that first (proviso: I think you'll need an external attachment which enables GPS on the Touch - I just happen to have one). So one way or another, we'll make sure you can have the experience and the icon.

Looking forward to trying it out soon. I got into town tonight and already the energy is building. There were already tenters and RVers set up. I've got the boat ready to go for the morning... which is coming soon, better get some rest.

Looks like we may have some friends down to visit on Saturday with an iPhone so we may get a chance to try it ourselves. We will try and get it working once we are home but the 8 year old forgot his iPod, even after the 100 reminders not to forget it. We also had left the house before your posting and just managed to get online now that the tent is all set up. Hubby picked a spot at the Jurassic Mega Park right near the big fire pit. Now for relaxing tonight and a bit of GPS loading then off to cache first thing in the morning.