Which one for 11 year old boy

Metterminers

Hi, newbie to hunting. I'd like to purchase a gps for my 11 year old son who has some learning disabilities. Because he's young, I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also want to get one that works but is somewhat on the simpler side. Of course, I'll be a part of the hunt and helping him. From what I've read the geomate jr isn't that great, and sometimes you have to buy maps in addition to the gps??? I need someone to just tell me which one to get for my son for Christmas. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Give Thanks! Cherie

Do you have a hand held GPS that he is familiar with already? I have a Garmin 60csx and I initially bought my daughters, who at the time were 9 qnd 12, the Garmin Venture CX. It had very similar features as my 60CSX and I could load the TOPO maps onto it and other maps that are available for free on the web.

After about 6 month's I realized that their units were not quite as accurate as mine but did the job well but I had found a great deal on a pair of Garmin Legend HCX's, the X stands for the hi sensitivity receiver which I highly recommend to get. These units are great and can be found at great prices on craigs list.

At a minimum, I would probably go with the Garmin Venture HC which can be found new for around $100.00 and used for about $75.00. It has the better receiver and you can download maps onto it.

Again, If you already have a hand held model that he has used and is familiar with, I would get a lesser model from that manufacturer. It will be easier for you to teach him how to use it, because you are familiar with it yourself and he shouldn't get as frustrated trying to learn how to use it if he has some familiarity with yours.

Yes, REI is a store. Here is a link to the Store Locator site. It would best to visit a place that offers GPS devices for you to play with and ask questions about. REI is a great resource for that. There are also other stores, mostly fish and game or sports stores, that have GPS's in stock to play with and ask questions about.

One nice thing about the Garmin GPSr's is that there are a few websites that offer free maps so you won't need to purchase those. Yet, there are many other really nice units out there and the best advice was given to you already by visiting someplace, like REI, to play with some of them.

the X stands for the hi sensitivity receiver which I highly recommend to get.

Actually the H stands for High-sensitivity chip, the C stands for Color, and the X stands for expandable memory (SD or Micro SD card slot). And you are correct, don't get an eTrex line GPSr without the H.

Oops, my bad. Was replying on my iPhone and sometimes it auto corrects itself and or I have a hard time proofreading on my little bitty screen.

Maps on the GPS are not a 'must have' if you are happy with a paper map, or even a print out from the website.

If he will be with you, you may be better with a 'higher end' GPS, while he can have a cheaper model.

I suggest you look at least at the lower end of those that can be connected to a computer, so that downloading info to the GPS is easier.

You will need more info than he will, the arrow pointing towards the cache will probably be all he needs to see, to keep him interested/happy.

the X stands for the hi sensitivity receiver which I highly recommend to get.

Actually the H stands for High-sensitivity chip, the C stands for Color, and the X stands for expandable memory (SD or Micro SD card slot). And you are correct, don't get an eTrex line GPSr without the H.

Oops, my bad. Was replying on my iPhone and sometimes it auto corrects itself and or I have a hard time proofreading on my little bitty screen.

I just got an Android based phone and had to turn off that predictive text feature. It was extremely annoying, always changing things I type to things I didn't want.

Sweet deal on the eXplorist GC. I have had my eye on this unit for awhile. I am also a huge fan of REI. It is a great store with great customer service and an even better return policy. I have purchased tons of gear there for camping, cycling, kayaking etc and have never been disappointed. PLUS FREE SHIPPING for orders over $75.

Hi, newbie to hunting. I'd like to purchase a gps for my 11 year old son who has some learning disabilities. Because he's young, I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also want to get one that works but is somewhat on the simpler side...

Sounds like that Etrex deal will do nicely. It's rugged and fairly simple, and the color screen is a nice upgrade over the monochrome Etrex units and the high sensitivity chip does make it a better reciever than the non "H" units.

If you really get the bug, you could get the latest whizzbang paperless setup, but for my kids one of the attractions to the whole game is plotting out the day's adventure and it doesn't break my heart that they take turns making notes with pen and ink...even if it's whizzbang Rite in the Rain notepad. :rolleyes:

From what I've read the geomate jr isn't that great, and sometimes you have to buy maps in addition to the gps???

We tried out the geomate jr., and while it is easy to use, per se, it simply doesn't work. We now use a Garmin eTrex Summit HC, and it is durable, reliable, easy to use, and it comes with a CD that has maps (but I haven't figured that part out yet). Hope this helps!

We tried out the geomate jr., and while it is easy to use, per se, it simply doesn't work.

I've been using one for some time, along with my Garmin 60cs, and it works great. It is actually more accurate than my 60cs (better chip set). I had it up and running several minutes after opening the box.

The geomate jr does not and cannot use maps.

Edited by michigansnorkelers

If you are near and REI they are going to lowering the price of the GC explorist to $150.00 this week. That is going to the best deal around for a new gps. It is designed for a newbie.

The eXplorist is already $150 bucks at the Groundspeak store. (http://shop.Groundspeak.com/productDetail.cfm?CategoryID=34&ProductID=311).

I have one of these despite having over 2500 finds. I picked it up because it holds the full cache page AND cache page photos. It's very easy to use. The basemaps on this unit are comparable to the $125 US maps that I bought for my Garmin 60CSX. The eXplorist can also take field notes which is great to jot a little note so you can remember when you get home and log the find.

The eXplorist doesn't route, but you still can see the maps and figure out where you need to go. (Or what side of the street the cache is located.) I have a Nuvi so I don't need my handheld to tell me where to go when I am driving. I doubt that your son would need it either :anicute:

I like the fact that I spend less time goofing with the GPS receiver (because it's so easy to use) and more time looking for the cache!