TB etiquette, roleplaying along with the goal

mokona

While reading about caches in my area today I noticed a TB that was something to the effect of Barbie with a b-day cake. According to the goal Barbie was supposed to be taking the cake to a party because she had missed her plane and had to get around hitching rides with geocachers. This was such a cool background story to go along with the TB's goal that I thought about it for a few minutes and wondered if it would be ok for Barbie, being stereotyped as a blonde and knowing that she missed her plane so she might not be the most seasoned traveler, would ever mistakenly hitch a ride with someone going the wrong way for a cache or two.

Here's the quandry: Barbie going the wrong way a few times along the way to her destination doesn't seem too surprising based on her description, but it could be annoying to the TB's owner. Probably the best thing to do would be to ask the owner in situations like this. What do you all think?

I know, I'm showing my RPG tendencies by thinking about a TB's goal/story so much, but I can't help it. I'm a nerd and I'm proud of it. icon_eek.gif

Mokona

PS I know it would be helpful if I posted a link to this bug so that everyone could read the background, but unfortunately I don't remember where I read about it or its name. Sorry.

IlluvianSeknetG has a pretty cool background story and mission (if I do say so myself), but Nev the Deranged had him for quite a while and really got in to adding pieces of a story while he had him.

I think it kind of changed the flavor of my original intent only because of the detail he went into. Had he just mentioned that there was another interdimensional traveller hitching a ride in his chrono-wake, the original story could have been maintained, and Nev's story could be saved for HIS traveller.

I agree, before changing the story for a Travel Bug, check with the owner. You'll quickly get an idea of how "attached" to the story-line the cache owner is.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

quote:
Originally posted by mokona:

Here's the quandry: Barbie going the wrong way a few times along the way to her destination doesn't seem too surprising based on her description, but it could be annoying to the TB's owner. Probably the best thing to do would be to ask the owner in situations like this. What do you all think?

Yes, I think that asking the owner is the best way to handle it.

quote:

I know, I'm showing my RPG tendencies by thinking about a TB's goal/story so much, but I can't help it. I'm a nerd and I'm proud of it.

I don't Role Play, but I do enjoy travel bugs with creative stories to go along with their goals. As a travel bug owner, I think it makes it more fun and exciting to watch as they approach and meet specific goals. (For example, my Eensy Weensy Spider is on his way to visit the Bellagio hotel next weekend. icon_smile.gif It also cracked me up when I read the last log that says just after they closed up the cache, "down came the rain and hail and snow and washed the spider and us out.") I like it when people play along with a bug's story line, instead of just moving it to whatever cache is convenient, without making any comments or taking any pictures. (Sure, miles are nice...but it's even nicer when people take the time to read a travel bug's goals, and make a specific effort to help it on its way.)

It hardly seems as fun when someone releases a bug with a goal statement like, "To visit as many caches as possible while travelling around the country." But then, I suppose these kind are easier for the people who pick them up, since there's really no way to go wrong (unless you simply don't put the bug back into circulation at all). And who knows, maybe the people who release those bugs enjoy the "mystery" of seeing where they will end up, instead of restricting people's creativity by stating specific goals.

I guess each to his own.