PLEASE READ

Indiangrass

For the lack of a pack of matches, this man is dead.

A simple small fire with some wettish materials to make smoke would have brought rescuers to him.

Carry the 10 essentials with you when you go off into the woods:

Ten Essentials

1. Map - there are maps available at the entrances to ASP

2. Compass or GPSr

3. Flashlight/headlamp (extra careful types can have an extra set of batteries)

4. Extra food - A snickers bar works

5. Extra clothing - a fleece jacket, for instance

6. Rain gear ( always carry rain gear even if the sun is out) - a nylon shelled fleece jacket does double duty

7. First aid supplies (be sure to include an extra day of any medication you are taking or might need in an emergency) Know how to use it.

8. Pocket knife or leatherman tool

9. Matches (stored in a water tight container or a butane lighter)

10. Fire starter - I carry small candle stubs from tapered candles - I cut them up to 1" sizes and pre-burn the ends to facilitate lighting.

And I add a large plastic garbage bag.

This sounds like a huge list - it is NOT; except for the fleece jacket/shell, you can put all of these into a fanny pack.

Add a loud whistle to that list. A whistle can be heard much farther away than the human voice.

I was thinking through what I carry anytime I'm on an outing, and a whistle and cell phone are two things I carry not mentioned in the 10 essentials list. Communication is very important, and cell phones will frequently work even in the woods.

My 3- and 5-year old kids have their own small Camel Bak's, and they both have a brightly colored whistle hanging on the outside of their packs. They know that if they're lost, or somehow separated from us, that they are to start blowing their whistles and not stop until someone finds them.

Not only is a whistle louder than a human voice, you can blow it all day long and not get hoarse.

I like REI's new "Updated" ten essential list.

It explains each item on the website. Too long to post, the link is down below.

Updated Ten Essential "Systems"

1. Navigation

2. Sun protection

3. Insulation (extra clothing)

4. Illumination

5. First-aid supplies

6. Fire

7. Repair kit and tools

8. Nutrition (extra food)

9. Hydration (extra water)

10. Emergency shelter

Classic Ten Essentials

1. Map

2. Compass

3. Sunglasses and sunscreen

4. Extra clothing

5. Headlamp/flashlight

6. First-aid supplies

7. Firestarter

8. Matches

9. Knife

10. Extra food

Beyond the Top Ten

Earlier we mentioned an altimeter as worthy candidate to consider as an add-on to the updated Ten Essentials list. Here are a few others:

* Insect repellent: Your most effective options are: 1) Lotion or spray repellents containing DEET, and/or 2) Clothing that has been treated with permethrin.

* Whistle: For summoning help; it will outlast your vocal chords.

* Ice ax: For safety when crossing snow fields.

* Communication device: Two-way radios, a cell phone or a satellite telephone can add a measure of safety in many situations.

* Signaling device: As noted eariler, some compasses come with sighting mirrors. If yours does not, consider taking a small mirror to signal rescuers in an emergency.

* Knowledge: Having items in your pack has no value unless you understand how to use them. As one search-and-rescue leader told us, "People talk about the Ten Essentials, but the most important essential is between your ears."

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/ten+essentials.html

Carry the 10 essentials with you when you go off into the woods:

Ten Essentials

1. Map - there are maps available at the entrances to ASP

2. Compass or GPSr

3. Flashlight/headlamp (extra careful types can have an extra set of batteries)

5. Extra clothing - a fleece jacket, for instance

6. Rain gear ( always carry rain gear even if the sun is out) - a nylon shelled fleece jacket does double duty

7. First aid supplies (be sure to include an extra day of any medication you are taking or might need in an emergency) Know how to use it.

8. Pocket knife or leatherman tool

10. Fire starter - I carry small candle stubs from tapered candles - I cut them up to 1" sizes and pre-burn the ends to facilitate lighting.

And I add a large plastic garbage bag.

Thanks for posting the list. I would add:

2. Compass or GPSr

~I would carry both. If you get lost you can orient yourself on the map with a GPSR. And while you can tell directions with some GPS devices, it's easier to do with a magnetic compass and they don't run out of batteries.

~I get much more energy bang for my buck with energy gel.

~I carry a couple of band-aids, some Advil and a couple of Rx pain pills. If I get hurt more than that my goal is to get home ASAP.

~Bic lighters are cheap, light and dependable. Toss in a couple and you're covered.

ETA: I also carry a big baggie to keep the map in - I've had more than one disintegrate on me in the rain.

Edited by DarkZen

* Knowledge: Having items in your pack has no value unless you understand how to use them. As one search-and-rescue leader told us, "People talk about the Ten Essentials, but the most important essential is between your ears."

It importance of knowledge, common sense, and personal skills development can't but stressed enough.

From my experience as a kayaker, I've had quite a bit of formal training in safety, assisted and self rescue techniques and have taught a lot of people some of these skills as well. It's become fairly common for people to "buy safety", that is, to assume that they;ll be safe because they've bought all the right technology.

A few years ago I was down at my friends kayak rental shop and a group came in to rent some boats. They said, they had an "expert" meeting them there so they didn't need the mandatory safety review that the rental shop does before allowing renters to their kayaks. It was a nice summer day, the water was warm and hardly a breath of wind. When the "expert" showed up he brought his shiny new kayak down to the water then started loading all his gear. He strapped a VHF radio and GPS under his deck lines, a paddle float (in inflatable device used for self rescue) under the rear deck lines, put on a PFD over his dry top (with whistle, snacks, etc) and a water pack under the rear deck lines. Then he slathered on sunscreen before stuffing it, along with a bunch of other things in a dry bag, and put on a hat and attached a spray skirt. Finally he attached a paddle leash (useful for preventing getting separated from your paddle after a capsize in open water). As they all paddled away from the dock I noticed he was holding his paddle upside down.

There are lots of pieces of safety equipment sold by people that insist you need to buy in order to be safe. A paddle float, for example, can be a very useful piece of equipment for reentering a kayak after a capsize in deep water. However, I've talked to a lot of kayakers that own them but have never tried using it. I've taught many how to do so and they're surprised how difficult it can be, even in perfectly calm water. It's really not a good idea to discover that after capsizing 1/2 mile from shore in 30 mph winds and 3 foot waves.

Having a good kit of safety items is a good idea but a lot less useful if you've haven't practiced using them under controlled conditions.

It importance of knowledge, common sense, and personal skills development can't but stressed enough.

From my experience as a kayaker, I've had quite a bit of formal training in safety, assisted and self rescue techniques and have taught a lot of people some of these skills as well. It's become fairly common for people to "buy safety", that is, to assume that they;ll be safe because they've bought all the right technology.

A few years ago I was down at my friends kayak rental shop and a group came in to rent some boats. They said, they had an "expert" meeting them there so they didn't need the mandatory safety review that the rental shop does before allowing renters to their kayaks. It was a nice summer day, the water was warm and hardly a breath of wind. When the "expert" showed up he brought his shiny new kayak down to the water then started loading all his gear. He strapped a VHF radio and GPS under his deck lines, a paddle float (in inflatable device used for self rescue) under the rear deck lines, put on a PFD over his dry top (with whistle, snacks, etc) and a water pack under the rear deck lines. Then he slathered on sunscreen before stuffing it, along with a bunch of other things in a dry bag, and put on a hat and attached a spray skirt. Finally he attached a paddle leash (useful for preventing getting separated from your paddle after a capsize in open water). As they all paddled away from the dock I noticed he was holding his paddle upside down.

There are lots of pieces of safety equipment sold by people that insist you need to buy in order to be safe. A paddle float, for example, can be a very useful piece of equipment for reentering a kayak after a capsize in deep water. However, I've talked to a lot of kayakers that own them but have never tried using it. I've taught many how to do so and they're surprised how difficult it can be, even in perfectly calm water. It's really not a good idea to discover that after capsizing 1/2 mile from shore in 30 mph winds and 3 foot waves.

Having a good kit of safety items is a good idea but a lot less useful if you've haven't practiced using them under controlled conditions.

+1

A flint/steel is great to have (I carry a Light My Fire "steel"), but if you don't know how to use it, it's basically a key chain. I've practiced with it while car camping to light the campfire, so now I am mostly confident I can get a fire going in an emergency.

Cleaning up a loose end. I did manage to do some 3d work at last. I started out by creating a simple U shaped object.

This I scaled to the NEWS provided dimensions, using the 15 x 3 x 6 foot range. When I first rendered it, I immediately thought of something I saw on Google Earth while browsing the Park. I believe this could have been a strong influence on the sketch in the NEWS media. Either in her past, or even earlier in the day, IF they had been doing a circle tour of park locations before hiking.

The difference in scale is not the sort of thing would get that much in error, big is big. There are some things that work however.

There is a viewing area that could yield the angles represented in the sketch, slightly right to left, a bit more top to bottom. I can think of a few possibilities for not including the bridge and viewpoint railings... Cannot eliminate the bollards on the rim with the chains... or account for the coloured rocks..

The large tear pattern, might have been the way the water swirls on the bottom... in many pics this resembles a tear shape with the point to the right side. Most of what I've seen it is a dual shape, but they might have seen only one... also changes with the level of flow.

IF the sketch represents a real structure other than the spillway... it may be a smaller version on some other drainage system there, even if a different shape.

Scanning images other than the spillway, starting with Knowschads idea of a trash gate... didn't see much on that, but I did find... concrete water troughs for livestock and similar, and there are farms in the area, probably more that are abandoned after inclusion in the park... there are also as suggested catchbasins and water drainage inlets that exist... and more likely concrete outfalls (the outlet ends)... or it may have been a cistern or other catchement. I pondered why the end might be open and irregular, she shows two different shapes... perhaps it was a tank and the end was poorly cast and popped off due to freezing, or simply mistaken (influenced by the spillway which has curve like that?)

Anyway I don't think that this route will provide any answer as far as 'remote' viewing any further. Water flowing for a long time can create a teardrop shaped stain on a concave surface... check out a two tap sink in an old building... the pattern is broad under the drip and tapers off to a tail toward the drain... that applies to larger slow drips as well. Standing water could cause erosion of the cement/sand portion exposing larger rocks in such a pattern... prime to be painted by an 'artiste'...during a dry spell.

I will post this later version (couldn't get if off the computer directly, so instead of fighting, I took its picture). It shows a modified U, adjusted to bevel a bit and turn in the ends.

I didn't put the full version in because it would possibly alter what people might see by suggestion.. better to simply show why these early ones prompted me to think about the spillway. One can go and look at that and online images to see why it might be... I'll mention that it is a very busy place for visitors I hear... and close to roads, I don't think that is a search area, but it was probably looked at by the authorities as part of regular checks of park facilities... I think that would be pretty much stepped up during the search as a given.

try3.jpg

Google images 'Quaker Lake Spillway' N42 03.149 W78 52.659

Hope this helps someone down that way. I suspect we have watchers.

Doug 7rxc

+1

A flint/steel is great to have (I carry a Light My Fire "steel"), but if you don't know how to use it, it's basically a key chain. I've practiced with it while car camping to light the campfire, so now I am mostly confident I can get a fire going in an emergency.

Ever practice doing that after a week of steady rain, using onsite materials (not provided firewood)...

THAT is what you should strive for... I doubt I could do it easily, but like you have the basics down...

Can you do that with Matches or a Lighter? A bit easier, but the problem remains... Bitter cold is another aspect to explore... and the challenges created by snow.

Same can be said of First Aid... cold and wet/snow make it a real problem...

I'll admit to being really slack at that, but my nylon flysheets come in handy to help keep off the rain... and wind.

That said, it's -22C this morning, windchill is -36C and there is lots of snow on the ground, and more coming... not quite a month until Winter starts. Reminds me I have to search for my Long Johns...

Doug 7rxc

There is an EarthCache there

GC1R0A3

Seems a bit large, but the shape is right. From a distance, they may have underestimated the size. Who knows.

Thanks... I noticed the EC while searching... The viewpoint there is very close... and to get the point of view offered in the sketch one would have to be on or close to that viewpoint... just my thinking as I said.

I noticed elsewhere that there seems to be a cacher working in the building you called... but they haven't been logged into system since mid summer... doesn't mean they don't watch though.

I'm going to play with it on and off, but realistically it's far away.

Doug 7rxc

This is the longest of longshots...

When I searched for Christian Hollow, a road in Great Valley, NY showed up. When I typed in the missing man's name, his address came up, and it's a stone's throw from Christian Hollow Road. (Burleson Road.)

Remember on the sketch, the daughter had written "Christian Hollow" and something like "edge of the forest, into the valley." This appears to fit the area of Christian Hollow Road near her dad's house.

The assumption, of course, had to be that Christian Hollow was the Christian Hollow Trail near Sweetwater Trail.

An interview with the daughter in the Olean paper revealed that her mother died recently of Alzheimers.

Is there any earthly chance they took their walk that day on Christian Hollow Road in Great Valley, got lost in the woods and when she emerged the next morning she somehow made her way to nearby State Park? (The man is said to have walked two miles a day, and looking at the map of Great Valley, it's reasonable to think he would have walked on Christian Hollow Road.)

I'll leave it to the experts here to see if there's a structure fitting the description near Christian Hollow Road. I don't see anything.

At the very least, the coincidence is quite startling.

Edited by southoftheborder

When I searched for Christian Hollow, a road in Great Valley, NY showed up. When I typed in the missing man's name, his address came up, and it's a stone's throw from Christian Hollow Road. (Burleson Road.)

The assumption, of course, had to be that Christian Hollow was the Christian Hollow Trail near Sweetwater Trail.

Is there any earthly chance they took their walk that day on Christian Hollow Road in Great Valley, got lost in the woods and when she emerged the next morning she somehow made her way to nearby State Park?

A road by the same name is an interesting observation... I'm not sure it is bound tightly to the search however.

Worthy of some poking around... only using GMaps, I found a few things that might be our sketch object... that said I will see what else can be gleaned a bit later... Burleson Road seems to run N/S on the other side of the main road... I didn't see that they were even connected let alone the same road as implied above...

As far as I can tell yours is the 4th place using that name... there is Christian Hollow itself (valley) CH creek,

the CH hiking/xcski trail, and your discovered road... have you seen anything else? I would point out that the name Great Valley xxx seems to permeate a large area close to the park... CH might be similar...

I'm not sure the tie to the mother is strictly valid, perhaps an indicator of the daughters state was intended, I'm sure that she was evaluated, if only because of her state following the incident. On a similar note, the NYSPD and search organizers probably had the information we have not seen, and validated it as much as they could... Time counted and you don't waste resources lightly on wild goose chases if possible. Search plans are made with the best data you can obtain at the time... People should not be afraid to offer ideas, and a system should be in place to weight the observations as to priority... for example (I'm not in any position to decide anyway, even here)... your idea about this road is submitted here, one or more of us check out the area and offer opinions... I say the observation is real (the road exists).. however it is on the other side of Salmanca from the park by quite a distance... They say that questioning has lead them to believe it is actually in the park (we don't know what lead them to that, but probably it is where she told and showed them). They decide to go and search where the probability is highest and cover as much ground as possible as quickly as possible. Early searches are based on early information and include efforts to contain the subject in an area and to search in obvious trails and destination spots, later on they will divide the area and do wide separation searches while the subject has a good possibility of hearing sound signals and attracting attention, obviously they look around as well in all directions including up, down, and under and in things.

The search managers evaluate the results and then redeploy what resources they have, over and over. Really detailed searches may take place in certain areas but are labour intensive. Like I said, they can't waste the people they have by running to places they don't have any indication the subject was... Until they run out of ideas.

Nothing says we cannot keep looking and expounding ideas... it's good to also see why some things happen the way they do... Tequila pointed out a few reasons for having 'trained' searchers, I once had to take out untrained people to try to do an area search (when I was in Toronto)... AFTER they lost interest in searching, I went back and did the whole area again solo... better and faster... the first time I spent all my time trying to keep them on the route assigned... a trained team would have done the area in about 20 minutes and it would have been done well... I wasn't a great searcher, but had skills and would use them to effect. The well meaning volunteers finally quit when they got as far as the bramble bush area... then refused and were relieved by base... I had refreshment and went back in... done.. plus two more areas solo... which by the way is NOT a good idea even then. We did have excellent radio comm though which helps.

Keep looking, and thanks for the observation... we'll see what we see. I still wish we had some better basic information.

Doug 7rxc now wondering what ATM was thinking... hmm.

I have now examined the Christian Hollow Road mentioned above several times in Google Earth... I still saw a few items of interest, but have eliminated almost all of them... other that places where there would be culverts under the road... Still nothing I would count on...

The best thing would be for them to try taking her up there and see if she recognizes anything... they did that apparently at the Park, but she couldn't be very specific..(from one of the news clips)... the police officer pointed up generally to a hillside in the distance... Sorry I can't do any more from here... but it was a good observation in general as I said. Thanks.

I'll keep watching, but life intercedes now... waiting for new information, hoping someone is following this at HQ.

Doug 7rxc

Last thought for now...

Most SAR groups want new members for their Ground Search Teams... many Geocachers would fit right in.

Basic training is about understanding the methods and techniques, personal survival skills and navigation...

You do NOT have to be in advanced technical teams unless you wish to undergo additional training.

IF you are not interested in SAR training, consider that the costs are high... and most teams depend on fundraising... so make sure you support your local SAR team. You never know...

Be prepared for your jaunts into the woods... the basics are in previous posts by some of the participants in this thread...

Take Care out there!

Doug 7rxc

Allegany State Park Outdoor Museum WM1XA6

edit: N 42° 06.041 W 078° 45.032

I was searching images on Google... I came across a Waymark as above...

Those gallery pics are interesting... there was a CCC built Zoo there... in one there is a picture of

a 'pavilion' structure... and another has one of a cage base / pit... anyone local know that area

Going back to looking

Doug 7rxc

Hi; Sorry for the delay in response. Yes, the old zoo was discussed and that is the type structure that was a cage base but usually was larger ...anyway, the old zoo was on a fairly open hillside across the parking lot from the main Admin. bldg. and only two to four hundred feet up the modest slope. Not likely place to get lost or overlooked.

As to your earlier post, the area of the park she guided them to was the NE corner of the park in the Art Rosco ski area (trails clearly visible on aerials ...and mapped by the park for rec. use) The area was covered by people that walked only 20 to 30 feet apart and the understory is quite open.

Thanks for the effort ...glad to see so much interest. As of last Thursday (11/18) the search was called off and he is presumed dead.

-Indiangrass

I don't want to jump the gun on that spec of mine, but it is similar...

Doug 7rxc

I thought it was similar enough to jump the gun and call the park police.

It turns out that the buildings across the road as mentioned in Knowschad's post are actually the park administration buildings where the park police phone rings.

When I mentioned the outdoor museum/zoo he said he knows it well, he can practically see it from his desk. Also that I was one of many persons calling in referencing that location. Sadly it the man is not there and the search continues.

He thanked me for the tip and I wished him luck.

If anyone else finds a promising location, go ahead and call the park police at 716-354-9111. They are thankful for the efforts being put forth.

Thanks for taking the time... If I was sure, I still could not have called... no phone available to me.

Did you ask if they had a listing of KNOWN facts? They probably wouldn't release it anyway... except as news release. They don't like lookie loos [sic] and well meaning people under foot... hints yes. ideas yes, if well considered... spouting off, nyah! Good to seek some consensus, at least we agreed it was someplace worth checking out... they did too.

KC: thanks for the news research... best I can come up with for Summit is the location of the restored fire tower... which is east of the Stone Tower... Still wish to have where the car was parked and where she came out of the woods... but again that is stuff that is best kept secure until it's finished with...

bramasole: I like that thinking... did you see one of KC's sites had a comment about it sounded like a

spring house... that could also imply bathhouse or spa... mineral spring???

Sure hope this gentleman survives the ordeal.

Doug 7rxc

Any idea how the location of the ruins of the old town New Ireland are in relation to where you believe the Summit location is?

I agree, it would be helpful to have some more facts to work with!

New Ireland or Irishtown was so far south of this area ...I don't think her disorientation would put them there ...if she was parked by the ski area. It would be an impossible, hard! walk for me (forester) and it brings up the point that all overnight parked cars are recorded by park patrol ...there was no mention of them having recorded her car. Was there? I might have missed that.

-Indiangrass

Remember on the sketch, the daughter had written "Christian Hollow" and something like "edge of the forest, into the valley." This appears to fit the area of Christian Hollow Road near her dad's house.

An interview with the daughter in the Olean paper revealed that her mother died recently of Alzheimers.

Is there any earthly chance they took their walk that day on Christian Hollow Road in Great Valley, got lost in the woods and when she emerged the next morning she somehow made her way to nearby State Park? (The man is said to have walked two miles a day, and looking at the map of Great Valley, it's reasonable to think he would have walked on Christian Hollow Road.)

I'll leave it to the experts here to see if there's a structure fitting the description near Christian Hollow Road. I don't see anything.

This has been thought of ...not sure if anyone has followed up on the ground. Local retired police officer has suggested they search closer to home.

-Indiangrass

Thanks one and all for the input and effort!

Really fantastic to see so many come to the aid of others. I had contacted local authorities and they did not want additional help but I was told it's (the park) public property and no one would object to my walking my dog about in areas not currently being searched.

There was local talk of an old Boy Scout camp below or "behind" Fentonville, which was an amusement park area. The Scout camp had to pre-date a local fellow who is 60 and grew up there and did not remember any camps in the area but would not discount it. He ( a State Park Police officer) said I could check it out and he would follow up with some local people he knows. I did take a 2 hour walk about, over approx. 60 acres with my dog (off leash ...shame on me) and found many old interesting features (old openings and trails and a log slide) but nothing to indicate a camp. Certainly no 3' high structures. I am familiar with structures like this in the region. Usually spring house developments and covered with wooden roofs with a door. The door frame was actually anchored to the roof structure and would have sat in the opening (see the sister's sketch) and, all would have rotted and washed away long ago. These were usually situated close to a home or barn (milk can storage) and so were not often found high in the hills although some were high to keep the source / "purity" and used to pipe water down to a point. My camp is watered by such a structure but larger as it once serviced a school house. Many I've found are the size she described. The purpose of the walls was / is to keep out surface water ...especially during springtime melt.

Anyway; no luck and, maybe the story will continue to unfold. Maybe not.

Lots of great info and ideas came from this thread and I'm happy to read it all. Cachers surely could have provided time saving info if this structure had been known of by someone reading this thread. Maybe there is a better way to pool the potential of our time in the woods?

Be well, be safe and, ENJOY!

-Indiangrass

(and sprouts too!)

This online articlegave some additional info as to where the remains were found.

"A hiker reported to Park Police Tuesday that he found what he believed to be human remains near the Art Roscoe ski trails in the Red House area of Allegany State Park."

The old zoo that was discussed in the early days of the thread are near the Red House area. I can't find a trail map that shows the Art Roscoe ski trail.

Glad to hear that he has been recovered at last. Our SAR has been busy this week leading to the rescue of a couple from Alberta.

Nothing beats good news, but closure is important as well. I'm sure the family there will now rest a bit easier.

The Art Roscoe area is east of the Red House area by a fair way and up on top of the ridges. There is an ASP map online at the parks site. I think I posted a link way back, but can't remember the URL.

Edit: for better information re MegaEvent.

There is an event scheduled up there Geocachingwise, May 19 2012.

ASPGB VII

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc