Which boots?

Anyone know of a good hybrid boot that I can wipe clean like a wellie but with the support of a walking boot? We spent 4 hours caching yesterday and the only thing that stopped us in the end was my knee. Never have this problem in walking boots but so many of the footpaths and byways are quagmires at the moment that I really needed the wellies.

Anyone got a good hybrid they would recommend?

Cheers, Rob

I must be just lucky as i mostly cache in wellies all year round,in the winter two pairs of thin socks are an option.so far no walking problems,any time of year it gives me that all terrain capability especially when coming to wet bit when you stray off the track or path a bit or while in australia recently some sort of partial snake protection.jeff=bones1.

I go with the horse option, they are called muckers.

However I have just noticed these which look very warm so i might try them

http://www.cottontraders.co.uk/invt/aq1050...rce=Emailvision

also use these codes for even better bargain

G19S for half price and BA10 for free delivery

Ive just ordered them so will let you know how they feel

Edited by reddeeps

Thanks for the advice everyone. I love my Line 7 walking boots as they are really well broken in so i'll probably try the Gaiters for now - I suspect they'll be the cheapest option too. Can you get noise free ones (i.e. ones that don't go swish-swish-swish as you walk) ?

BTW, my wife will love the Cotton Traders fur lined boots, Cheers, Rob.

Have you tried British Army Hi leg combat boots or even rigger boots.

If you shop around I am pretty sure you can get the combat boots cheaper.

Yup! .... those are the boots i always wear and they are brilliant in the mud (even crossing streams that are not too deep.) :mad:

I pay £44 on line for mine and they last a good couple of years (and i wear mine everyday!)

But ..... how about the walkers wellies?

They are about £80 but are meant for long walks and support you correctly (so they say?)

Rob

This is the answer. It is not the footwear. Use a Sidas footbed in all your footwear. The best money you will ever spend. Trade leader are called Superfeet. Replace the footbed in whatever footwear you use with a pair of Sidas Footbeds. The basic version will do, no need for the gel heal pad nor thermo moulded for skiers. Basic £20 version. I bought one pair. Now have one pair in all my current footwear. They turn any footwear into the most comfortable ever.

All pain gone. Recommended by physioterrorists in the know.

These are the posh ones with gel.

When you do replace the footwear choose something with a stiffened sole. Not rigid. I have a pair of custom wellies with a Vibram sole. For caching and fell walking I have proper boots and approach shoes with proper midsoles. (Shank in old money.) Avoid metal shank from cheaper brands.

HTH

Nick

Anyone know of a good hybrid boot that I can wipe clean like a wellie but with the support of a walking boot? We spent 4 hours caching yesterday and the only thing that stopped us in the end was my knee. Never have this problem in walking boots but so many of the footpaths and byways are quagmires at the moment that I really needed the wellies.

Cheers, Rob

I remember a few years ago visiting my local gun shop for a new pair of wellies. I was suprised by the range on offer but one of the most expensive on offer [well over £100] were indeed a hybrid of rubber wellie and walking boots. They had a leather liner a vibram sole and a kind of 'boot like' footbed.

I was told that they were the most popular for game keepers as they do alot of walking in the country -on and off footpaths - Sounds familiar ?!

They may have been made by Hunter ? not sure though :)

I go with the horse option, they are called muckers.

However I have just noticed these which look very warm so i might try them

http://www.cottontraders.co.uk/invt/aq1050...rce=Emailvision

also use these codes for even better bargain

G19S for half price and BA10 for free delivery

Ive just ordered them so will let you know how they feel

Thanks for that - have just ordered some! They look like Crocs at the bottom, hope they are as comfortable.

Just to update, I used them for the first time yeserday in the snow and ice, brill, kept my feet warm and I didnt slip at all.

They are also a generous size and I would have been even better with thicker socks or an extra pair of socks

Just bought Sue a pair and they look very good, she's not tested them yet but she said they are very comfortable.

Cheers, Rob

This is the Boot I personally swear by, I spent four hours trudging through swampy fields around Humberside and my feet were completely warm and dry when I took my Boots off later in the day. When muddy, I use a stiff brush and a hosepipe and then leave them to dry before polishing. Have a good look on the website, everything you could ever need and great prices too.

Oh, and the black soles don't leave any marks on the floor/carpets.

http://www.goliath.co.uk/index.php?p=72

Cheers, Rob

This is the Boot I personally swear by, I spent four hours trudging through swampy fields around Humberside and my feet were completely warm and dry when I took my Boots off later in the day. When muddy, I use a stiff brush and a hosepipe and then leave them to dry before polishing. Have a good look on the website, everything you could ever need and great prices too.

looks like a good boot Ian, it doesn't say how much ?

Jim

Cheers, Rob

looks like a good boot Ian, it doesn't say how much ?

Jim

Hi Jim, if you follow the 'BUY IT ONLINE' button you can search for a stockist near you, I bought two pairs for £90 locally. Just looking around the net, I found some here on a clearence offer for £53.00 Including VAT (link below). It is possible to get them a little cheaper, but don't pay anything over £55 as a rule.

http://www.polimil.co.uk/acatalog/Goliath_...html#aGTE01LGTX

I'm still on my first pair of these Boots and I wear them every day, possibily the best Boots I've ever bought.

Regards, Ian.

If your having knee pain problems in wellies but not in walking boots then I would suspect initially that you have a problem with the way that you distribute the weight across your feet (or foot). Wellies don't offer any support to the foot and this can be a big problem if you have a to walk over on your arches, or have some collapsing of your arches. This inbalance can then result in an inbalance in weight distribution across the knee joint. So if your dedicated to wellies then go the footbed route. Places like Ellis Brigham and ski stores will custom mould a footbed, as will many orthotists and podiatrists, helping to correct and gait/foot problems you might be having. Long term correction is a great plan as it will help prevent uneven wear across your knee joint.

Personally, I do walking boots with trousers with an integral gaiter in the winter or Dubarry Galway boots (Goretex, knee high leather - expensive but brilliant).