The Frustrastions of beain a Cache Owner

Ike 13

So today I get this log on my newest cache:

[Found it] November 13 by xxxx (104 found)

Caching with yyyy and zzzzzz who made the find. Had gotten buried under pine straw. Traded bands. Took TB left Jeep TB. TFTC SL.

I guess they never thought that someone would hide a cache under pine straw to keep muggles from seeing it. Sure enough I went to check on it and it was just sitting out in the open. It's about 100 feet from a baseball field and I've seen people walking their dogs by. So good thing I got out there quickly. I sent the finder an email letting them know that they should always rehide as they found it.

I have another that was moved from it's hiding spot so when I went to change the log I had to search everywhere.

2 other of my recent caches (including my original Golden Ammo Can for 1000 finds) disappeared over the summer. (both of those could have been hidden better, and were exposed by a rain storm).

Pile on a lot of the locals who like to put TFTC and it just wears on you.

I guess I should go read some of the great logs on my caches to relieve my frustrations.

I just don't know how people with 100 hides deal with all of them.

Caching with yyyy and zzzzzz who made the find. Had gotten buried under pine straw. Traded bands. Took TB left Jeep TB. TFTC SL.

I guess they never thought that someone would hide a cache under pine straw to keep muggles from seeing it. Sure enough I went to check on it and it was just sitting out in the open. It's about 100 feet from a baseball field and I've seen people walking their dogs by. So good thing I got out there quickly. I sent the finder an email letting them know that they should always rehide as they found it.

I have another that was moved from it's hiding spot so when I went to change the log I had to search everywhere.

2 other of my recent caches (including my original Golden Ammo Can for 1000 finds) disappeared over the summer. (both of those could have been hidden better, and were exposed by a rain storm).

I guess I should go read some of the great logs on my caches to relieve my frustrations.

I have about 50 caches that are curently active, now becasue I move 6 years ago some of them are 100 miles from home which is even more of a challenge.

I have had the problems of people not puting caches back were they belong or how they were hide. Part of thye problem is were you have groups caching together, one person spots and grabs it and then the person the replaces it is not the one that found it. To me it is common sense to make sure the cache gets put back correctly.

A cache that a freind of mine has had a log the one finder mention that they found a better way to hide the cache so they improved the hide. My freind went to check and he could not find his cache.

Here is a tip or two that might help, with ammo box caches I have use a chain and a pad lock and chained them to trees. For micros I have hung them in trees by using a magnet. first thin to do is place a small peice of steel to the tree and then have a rare earth maget taped to the outside of the micro. This way the cache can only be replasced as found.

For micros I have hung them in trees by using a magnet. first thin to do is place a small peice of steel to the tree and then have a rare earth maget taped to the outside of the micro. This way the cache can only be replasced as found.

This is a nice idea. I just recently replaced a micro in a tree and just tied a string around the container. I like the idea of doing something like tying a string to a steel nut, looping it around a branch, then attaching the container to the nut with a magnet. That makes it easy for finders to grab the container then move away from the tree to open the container, sign the log, and close it back up. Replacing the container could be done in seconds instead of trying to screw a couple of pieces together.

I had my cache go missing and I replaced it with a new container in the exact location of the old one. I kept getting logs of people finding two caches and signing both so I went to look for the old one, I couldn't find it! It was a bit embarrassing that I couldn't even find my own cache! On a second trip out I finally found it and it was moved and rehidden in a way that was not originally intended. I replaced it and just chalked it up to a cacher that didn't want too much of a challenge.

My Dad, Sister and I decided to hide a cache close to my Dad's house. It was hidden in the nook of a split tree at the base and covered with pine straw and a few broken limbs as camo. You could not see it from the street side, but it was not a difficult hide at all. Two finds and it went missing. Very frustrated on that one.

You take the good with the bad.

I have 130 plus caches and I've just come to accept cache migration is a fact of life. The only way to keep it where you want it is to tether it. As for TFTC or "I logged from my phone" I hate them. There's other threads on this by the way. Good luck finding them. I feel if a cache owner takes the time to give you an adventure can't you appreciate them with at least a few sentences. I have caches where I know you really have to work or take a good hike to get there. I have more than one in the area and all I get is "logged from my phone" on five different caches? However I hide my caches for everyone so I accept it. I do send a note to people who make good logs to let them know I appreciate it. The people who make good logs are also the ones I remember when I meet them at events.

I have had the problems of people not puting caches back were they belong or how they were hide. Part of thye problem is were you have groups caching together, one person spots and grabs it and then the person the replaces it is not the one that found it.

Yes, and another problem is that once a cache has been replaced in the wrong spot, future finders have no idea where it belongs.

I have one cache in particular that was having a problem with that, so finally I took a photo of the correct hiding spot, laminated it and included it in the cache as a helpful visual aid for re-hiding. It's been a *huge* help. Now, even if someone puts it in the wrong spot, future finders know where it belongs and far more often than not errors get corrected without me having to visit.

I have one cache in particular that was having a problem with that, so finally I took a photo of the correct hiding spot, laminated it and included it in the cache as a helpful visual aid for re-hiding. It's been a *huge* help. Now, even if someone puts it in the wrong spot, future finders know where it belongs and far more often than not errors get corrected without me having to visit.

Great idea!

I have had to email the last finder and ask them where they rehid the cache...so I could move it back! :)

They moved it to make it easier to reach, which of course the terrain reflected the higher reach! :D

I have a cache that got a couple of DNFs. Due to various issues going on through my life, it was difficult for me to make time to go check on it to see if it might be missing, but I decided I would have to make the time to check. To my relief, a cacher posted a find on the cache. Unfortunately I didn;'t read the actual log. I was busy and only downloaded the headers of my email because I was expecting an important one. If I had read it, I would've discovered that the cacher had accidentally posted a find when he should've posted a DNF.

A few weeks later, another cacher asked me to check on it, he didn't want to search for it if it was missing since the last few cachers couldn't find it. I began to wonder just what he meant as the last log was a find, but his email went on to mention that the last cacher had not actually found it. When I checked the log, I noticed that he was right.

Fortunately, the cache was there, and in plain sight too. But if it had been missing, the last smiley could've been confusing to any future finders who assume it is them that is the problem and not the cache.

I also got bitten by the false find myself yesterday. Searched for at least 30 minutes for a cache that I felt had to be there only to find out that the last 2 finds were bogus.

Lesson learned: When there is a potential problem with a cache, scrutinize all the logs, even if it is a find log.

I take it as being a part of cache ownership. I have one cache hidden in a high traffic area under a boulder. Every time I've checked on it, it is outside of its original hiding place, either in plain sight or covered with a rock. It isn't that hard to put it back in the original spot. It's annoying, but when I go there I simply put it back where it belongs and move on. I've dealt with many caches that were not treated the way I would like. Caches that were filled with nice trade items that people replaced with garbage, caches that were moved to a "better" hiding place, or a spot that was easier to reach, caches that weren't closed properly and eventually filled with water.

It's all part of cache ownership. Would I rather people put them back where they belonged, traded evenly and closed the container properly? Absolutely, but if I was really worried about these kinds of things I'd probably spend more time fishing, skiing and doing some much needed yard work and forget about placing and maintaining caches.

The fun most people seem to have finding my caches mitigates any issues I have with the few irresponsible or lazy cachers out there.

Edited by briansnat

My current frustration as a cache owner comes from my letterbox hybrids. People take the stamps and ink pads out of them. These items are in a separate baggie with "Do not remove stamp or ink pad from the cache" written on them.

I get mad then I cool down and replace them.

Why do you put an ink pad in them? The finder is supposed to bring their own.

For micros I have hung them in trees by using a magnet. first thin to do is place a small peice of steel to the tree and then have a rare earth maget taped to the outside of the micro. This way the cache can only be replasced as found.

This is a nice idea. I just recently replaced a micro in a tree and just tied a string around the container. I like the idea of doing something like tying a string to a steel nut, looping it around a branch, then attaching the container to the nut with a magnet. That makes it easy for finders to grab the container then move away from the tree to open the container, sign the log, and close it back up. Replacing the container could be done in seconds instead of trying to screw a couple of pieces together.

I've seen several micro caches in trees with retractable badge clips.

Pull the cache down, open and retrieve the log. Sign, replace, let go and it goes back to its spot on the branch.

Just did a google search and found some combined with carabiners:

retractable-badge-holder-with-carabiner-clip1.jpg

I have had the problems of people not puting caches back were they belong or how they were hide. Part of thye problem is were you have groups caching together, one person spots and grabs it and then the person the replaces it is not the one that found it.

Yes, and another problem is that once a cache has been replaced in the wrong spot, future finders have no idea where it belongs.

I Love this

I know it goes with being a CO but it is frustrating none the less when your cache is moved because the finder thought..........whatever. All of the above things have happened at 1 time or another to my caches.

I have 1 cache that a cacher moved. Then the next finder had difficulty find it but when they replaced it they moved it again because it didnt match their coords. I still havent found it & I own it.

I know cachers think they are helping but it would be a BIGGER help if you just put it back where you found it then sent a set of coords to the CO.

Here is another frustration. NOT CLOSING THE CACHE PROPERLY. How tough is this to do? Ok maybe there are times if the container is a cheezy container or its broken etc but I have several AMMO Cans. They hold up all of the world under WAR conditions & are still watertight. What is the problem. I have to go replace the contents in a LARGE Ammo can because the cacher didnt close it. It has the latch etc so take an extra minute & close it right. It is in the middle of the woods so stealth isnt even needed. Geezzzzzz! Lazy cachers are part of what you deal with as a CO.

Ohhh, I so like this method.

I have one cache in particular that keeps migrating. The problem is, it keeps migrating to a higher branch that where I placed it. I placed it at my maximum stretchy reach standing on tiptoes.

When someone puts it back on a higher branch I have to use the PAF method of retrieving the cache...I'm running out of 'owe ya's' getting that cache put back where I can reach it myselfl... :mad:

There is a cache across the street from my house that I use to drop TB and GC quite often. It is hanging in a little spruce tree that is in a little group of 3 spruce trees. Everytime I find it, it is in a different tree. Since I have no idea which tree it is supposed to be in, I usualy put it back in the center one. It has never been left in the open though, it is always hidden the same; hanging in the tree.

I have 1 cache that a cacher moved. Then the next finder had difficulty find it but when they replaced it they moved it again because it didnt match their coords. I still havent found it & I own it.

I found a cache that didn't match the hint. I re-hid it where I found it, but contacted the CO. She was quite happy that I did because it needed a new logbook, and she couldn't find it. I described were it was, and sudenly it got a new log book. I thought of re-finding it in it's correct location, but never did. Too many other caches to find.

There is a cache across the street from my house that I use to drop TB and GC quite often. It is hanging in a little spruce tree that is in a little group of 3 spruce trees. Everytime I find it, it is in a different tree.

The way to prevent that is to attach the cache in a way that is difficult to get it off.

I have seen matchstick containers zip-tied to a branch. The lid screws off, but the container stays on the tree.

Some of them have been held inside of twist-ties that have been formed into ring holders that do not come off the tree. So you slip the container out of its holder, open it, sign the log, close it, and slip it back in the holder again. You cannot replace it in the wrong spot. (Well you could, but it would take a lot more work than doing it the right way.)

Not sure how these hold up long-term though. After a few years, the tree could grow around the zip-ties and then the cache would become a permanent part of the tree!

I have 130 plus caches and I've just come to accept cache migration is a fact of life. The only way to keep it where you want it is to tether it. As for TFTC or "I logged from my phone" I hate them. There's other threads on this by the way. Good luck finding them. I feel if a cache owner takes the time to give you an adventure can't you appreciate them with at least a few sentences. I have caches where I know you really have to work or take a good hike to get there. I have more than one in the area and all I get is "logged from my phone" on five different caches? However I hide my caches for everyone so I accept it. I do send a note to people who make good logs to let them know I appreciate it. The people who make good logs are also the ones I remember when I meet them at events.

I've met with this attitude before, and I guess I don't understand it. At least people are LOOKING for and FINDING your caches. I've placed two puzzle caches (difficult, but no more so than many around here) and each has been looked for and found by only a few people. No activity on either for several months now.

So count your blessings, folks! I'd put up with migrating caches if people were just interested enough to go looking!

I always appreciate it when the CO provides a more permanent way to attach a cache in a bush or tree. I think it really helps with cache migration. I have a cache (a bison tube) in a tree that is in a small hollow, but I inserted a cylindrical aspirin container into it so that it can always be replaced in the same spot. Even if it's a cache that is a bush hide, if it has a little hook or something you can be more certain that it won't fall through the bush. Thanks for all of the great ideas for attachments.

Well first of all I make all my caches which is 30 premium only. It will limit the traffic somewhat. Although I have had a few problems not many. I do try and make my caches people proof. Which is impossible. Hopefully they take the time to put back correctly. I have a cache that says it's in plain sight which it is. And don't move any rocks to find. It is the size of small marble. I have checked on it and at least twice I see people will put a rock on the only thing that is visable. They seem to think there improving it for you. But please replace like you found unless its obvious it needs help.

I have some pretty clever and unique caches. Some people write great logs. One guy has found all my stuff and his standard reply is Found it. Thats it. One day i saw he hid 4 new caches. I found them which was easy and log the same thing. Found it. What would it take to impress this guy at all. What if he went to a cache and it was a alien spaceship with real aliens. He would say Found it.

We believe that most cachers that don't replace a cache where they find it is the Number Getter's. They in to big of a hurry to grab, sign & get to the next cache. Then there is also the cachers that forget a pen or pencil (Remember when you get out to hunt, Grab your pen or Pencil first then the GPS'r) & when they do find the cache & notice they forgotten their pen or pencil they carry the cache back to their auto, sign the log & then by the time they get back to where it was hid, They done forgot where they found it, so they just place it where ever they see fit so they can get back to get them number builders. We have a name for these type of cachers D_ _ A_ _'s , Your won't find the cachers that are not scare to do some hiking to find a cache do this.