A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Cache Game

Earlier in the thread,  MissJenn remarked that she had never heard the radio series.  That is a deprivation which should not be allowed to stand, so MissJenn, keep an eye out for TB Don't Panic. It’s somewhere in Texas right now, just having been checked into a series of HHG themed caches there. Perhaps an appropriate new cache in PA might attract the TB to MissJenn’s area.

I kept an eye out and now my ears have fallen upon good fortune: The TB has successfully found me!

:):):):D

WOW! From MY cache to your hands. That's a trip. I was in Las Vegas that week.

Sn :D:D gans

Here's a blast from the past

Unfortunately the "Save" function won't work and I keep getting hit in the head with bricks. :)

Bret

You have to stay in the mud until Prosser takes your place, then follow ford.

I forgot to smile at the Vogon's poetry, so I didn't get the first word of the second verse to open the case holding the atomic vector plotter. Next time...

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels.

A towel, it says, is the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value.  You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound he cold moons of Jaglon Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars  which shine so redly on the desert world of Kafrofoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious  fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mind-bogglingly stupid animal--daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value.  For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has a towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that a hitchhiker might accidentally have "lost."  What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, it is clearly as man to be reckoned with.      Hence a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)

How about the River Moth?

How come no Marvin Bug yet? So how do we play just place a themed cache or bug? I could do that.

:D Yep just place a themed cache,or send out a new TB based on the Books. email me when you get it approved, or release the bug. I'll post it on the webpage with a link to the GC page. I'm trying to locate a marvin collectibe toy to send out.

If we really wanted to be nerdy, we could have a Dr. Who cache (I bet there already is one).

There used to be only one, a locationless named Where did I park my TARDIS? but now there are two new ones:

TARDIS and The TARDIS

I wanted to do someting with the Key to Time season. Have 6 caches (one for each piece of the Key to time and then have two TBs. One for the Doctor and one for Romana and the goal would be for both bugs to hit all 5 caches.

WHERE IS MISSJENN!?!?!?!?!!!!!! :)

Huh? :blink:

Oh, hello everyone.

I was temporarily distracted by some bistromathic calculations I had to do.

It is an old thread started last year that seems to have died off.
I would disagree with you, but only a little bit. Things are definitely happening. Travel bugs are travelling. Goals are being met. Caches are being found. Egads, books are even being read and re-read!

Albeit all this stuff is happening at a nice (some would say slow) rate ... :)

I would disagree with you, but only a little bit. Things are definitely happening. Travel bugs are travelling. Goals are being met. Caches are being found. Egads, books are even being read and re-read!

Albeit all this stuff is happening at a nice (some would say slow) rate ... :blink:

:) weelI didn't really mean died but definitely slowed to a snails pace. I just thought a little boost would be nice. Seemed to be getting very little traffic in the TB forums. I hope the webpage I made helps, it beats digging through all the posts to find out who put what where,and what TB's are already taken.

I hope the webpage I made helps

That's a great compilation. Thanks so much for taking the time to gather all the info.

(the yellow text is hard to read on my monitor ... )

I think I said that further up the page, but I don't think he heard me.Maybe I should speak louder?Does this work? Can you change the color to something other than YELLOW???

Blue would be nice :rolleyes:

I just bought a collection book with all 5 books in one, and I'm really liking the first two books so far....

It's amazing how many good quotes I could pull out of that book, like....

"The monkeys who were so easily amused by their digital watches..."

I don't think that's direct, but it's just one of those funny things that they say in the book...

I just bought a collection book with all 5 books in one, and I'm really liking the first two books so far....

It's amazing how many good quotes I could pull out of that book, like....

"The monkeys who were so easily amused by their digital watches..."

I don't think that's direct, but it's just one of those funny things that they say in the book...

I went digging through my book crates last night and couldn't find my old copies. I gues I am going to have to hit the book store soon.

(I live within a mile of Universe Blvd). I'd like to do a library/bookcrossing theme cache, so I might call it "The Library at the End of the Universe" instead. Sound like a good idea?

Yes, yes!

I wish there was something like Kakrafoon Blvd near me. Alas ... there is not.

Edited by MissJenn
Snoogans,

Hi. I'd love to make a wormhole for Veet Voojagig's Ballpoint Planet - let

me know your instructions ....

Hey,

Yours would be Veet Voojagig's Ballpoint Planet: Wormhole #2 and then your (state). Wormhole #1 is in California and maintained by my sister, MtnFrog, when I'm not there. You can use as much, or little, of the text as you want. Huntnlady did a version called The 9 to 5 Pen Exchange, where you had to solve a puzzle. She just archived it today.

Both of mine are chocolate raisin containers, from Sam's, wrapped in duct tape to make the general shape of a planet. There's a picture on one of the pages. I used a sharpie to draw canals to make it look like a planet. They have really weathered well. Use 10% bleach solution to get rid of the food smell if you want to do something similar. (It takes less than half an hour to set one up after you finish eating the raisins. :lol: )

It would be cool to have at least one in all 50 states and some other countries.

It would be really kewl if some U.K. cachers got onboard with this. All of my D.A. inspired TBs will want to visit his grave, Fenchurch Street Station, Islington, etc.

Sn :huh::D gans

Snoogans,

Hi. I'd love to make a wormhole for Veet Voojagig's Ballpoint Planet - let

me know your instructions ....

Hey,

Yours would be Veet Voojagig's Ballpoint Planet: Wormhole #2 and then your (state). Wormhole #1 is in California and maintained by my sister, MtnFrog, when I'm not there. You can use as much, or little, of the text as you want. Huntnlady did a version called The 9 to 5 Pen Exchange, where you had to solve a puzzle. She just archived it today.

Both of mine are chocolate raisin containers, from Sam's, wrapped in duct tape to make the general shape of a planet. There's a picture on one of the pages. I used a sharpie to draw canals to make it look like a planet. They have really weathered well. Use 10% bleach solution to get rid of the food smell if you want to do something similar. (It takes less than half an hour to set one up after you finish eating the raisins. :lol: )

It would be cool to have at least one in all 50 states and some other countries.

It would be really kewl if some U.K. cachers got onboard with this. All of my D.A. inspired TBs will want to visit his grave, Fenchurch Street Station, Islington, etc.

Sn :huh::D gans

I'm up for placing a New Mexico wormhole, but I'm placing "The Library at the End of the Universe" first.