A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Cache Game

Yes! Please join the disorganized madness that is this thread....

BTW - I have 16 50 cal ammo cans. At least half will be used for the caches that I have previously mentioned.

I have recently placed the following caches with local family members who are new geocachers:

7/18/2003 Young Zaphod Plays It Safe

7/18/2003 Crash site of the Golgafrinchan "B" Ark:

7/18/2003 The Salmon of Doubt

7/16/2003 The FrogStar (West)

7/14/2003 Veet Voojagig's Ballpoint Planet: Wormhole #1

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

I plan to do em all. Copy what you want, or think up new ones. No one has posted any ideas for the Dirk Gently stuff.

The actual game rules have been on the back burner until we get a good network going. I have a feeling that this will all take for freakin ever, but it's still fun working toward something.

There are no leaders here. Work at your own pace and on what ever you want. (Mine's reeeeeal slow right now.)

I'm still hoping this thing will take on a life of it's own........

Heck I just found this. I used THHGTTG on 2 questions on one of my puzzle caches. Count me in.

You should have told me about this thread Snoogans. YES I EXPECT YOU TO BE PSYCHIC!!! Ok errrr, the meds have kicked in now and the voices are almost....there just a whisper now.

Anyway I will come up with something for this as I love DNA's works.

When in doubt...hit it with a big hammer.

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

quote:
Originally posted by Chris&Cindy:

I used THHGTTG on 2 questions on one of my puzzle caches.

Can you give us a link to it?

-- _I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are your numbers? ;-) _

Here you go. It is the last two questions but I guess that would be obvious to a fan icon_smile.gif

When in doubt...hit it with a big hammer.

Very happy to find this thread. I am working on ideas for one or more THHGTTG caches that will be placed in IOWA. I have all the books in "Digital format" for listening on an MP3, or burn to CD, so not having books to look at I dont understand the interest in the avtar above, is it of some signifigance to the books? Am I missing something?

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kilroy:

I dont understand the interest in the avtar above, is it of some signifigance to the books? Am I missing something?

a person had an avatar that incorporated babel fish. i think she has since changed the avatar to this forest-in-flames one.

-- I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are your numbers? ;-)

What a great idea, I might do a HHGTTG themed cache myself, I have an autographed DA "Don't Panic" pin (written in bold, friendly yellow letters across the front) LOL.... I have had the good fortune to meet both DA and Eric Idle together at a scifi book conference... Really miss him, too bad he passed away.

I just ran across this thread after doing a search concerning a TB of mine.

Earlier in the thread, MissJenn remarked that she had never heard the radio series. That is a deprivation which should not be allowed to stand, so MissJenn, keep an eye out for TB Don't Panic. It’s somewhere in Texas right now, just having been checked into a series of HHG themed caches there. Perhaps an appropriate new cache in PA might attract the TB to MissJenn’s area. In case you’re too lazy to look up the TB page, it’s a CDROM with the entire six hour radio series in mp3 format.

quote:
Originally posted by RogerNPsp:

What a great idea, I might do a HHGTTG themed cache myself, I have an autographed DA "Don't Panic" pin (written in bold, friendly yellow letters across the front) LOL.... I have had the good fortune to meet both DA and Eric Idle together at a scifi book conference... Really miss him, too bad he passed away.

You are my new GOD. I try to write sci-fi and I dreamed of one day calling DA a contemporary. icon_frown.gif He is the reason that I became interested in reading at a fairly early age. (followed later by Stephen King)

quote:
Originally posted by blindleader:

Earlier in the thread, MissJenn remarked that she had never heard the radio series. That is a deprivation which should not be allowed to stand, so MissJenn, keep an eye out for TB http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=37524.

Wahoo! It's on my Watch List now. This sure is good incentive to post a HitchHiker's cache near me ASAP!

And, dang, I was JUST in Seatle last week! You and I could have had a beer together and called it an Event Cache! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

Like the concept! That got me thinking, a bad habit but there we go.

Hmmm, following a rat down an aquaduct (or should that be a mouse?);

quote:

THE HHGTTG (p.123) ....

'Oh yes,'said Slartibartfast. 'Did you ever go to a place ... I think it was called Norway?'

'No,'said Arthur, 'no, I didn't.'

'Pity,' said Slartibartfast, 'that was one of mine. Won an award you know. Lovely crinkly edges. I was most upset to hear of its destruction'

Welcome to the *Slartibartfast Signature Series*

Another set for your HHGTTG TB's to bag icon_smile.gif

The cache must be in a location with evidence of current, recent or ancient glaciation, plenty of scope really.

http://www.ivygreen.ctc.edu/ids/102/Solutions02/Glacialfeaturesans.pdf

(2126KB)

The name would be something like *LOCATION NAME :: Slartibartfast Signature Series* ... possibly even a graphic for inclusion on the cache page?

quote:

THE RATEOTU (p.179) ....

'Norway,' said Arthur, 'Slartibartfast's signature in the glacier. Did you tell them?'

Any takers?

cheers Darren icon_smile.gif

AHHH the joys of electricity, after half a week witout it you really learn to appreciate it. And your favorite website. But I did have a lot of time to think about a cache in honor of my favorite HHGTTG character. Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged. What better to find in a cache than a personal insult? Maybe laminated so your insult will last longer than you.

Eeyore

I am moving along!

quote:
Originally posted by The ELTHAM Mob:

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

Like the concept! That got me thinking, a bad habit but there we go.

Hmmm, following a rat down an aquaduct (or should that be a mouse?);

quote:

THE HHGTTG (p.123) ....

'Oh yes,'said Slartibartfast. 'Did you ever go to a place ... I think it was called Norway?'

'No,'said Arthur, 'no, I didn't.'

'Pity,' said Slartibartfast, 'that was one of mine. Won an award you know. Lovely crinkly edges. I was most upset to hear of its destruction'

Welcome to the *Slartibartfast Signature Series*

Another set for your HHGTTG TB's to bag icon_smile.gif

The cache must be in a location with evidence of current, recent or ancient glaciation, plenty of scope really.

http://www.ivygreen.ctc.edu/ids/102/Solutions02/Glacialfeaturesans.pdf

(2126KB)

The name would be something like *LOCATION NAME :: Slartibartfast Signature Series* ... possibly even a graphic for inclusion on the cache page?

quote:

THE RATEOTU (p.179) ....

'Norway,' said Arthur, 'Slartibartfast's signature in the glacier. Did you tell them?'

Any takers?

cheers Darren icon_smile.gif

Wayyyyyyyyyyyy KEWL!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore and Shadow:

AHHH the joys of electricity, after half a week witout it you really learn to appreciate it. And your favorite website. But I did have a lot of time to think about a cache in honor of my favorite HHGTTG character. Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged. What better to find in a cache than a personal insult? Maybe laminated so your insult will last longer than you.

Eeyore

I am moving along!

I like it! Wowbagger is a fav of mine too.

I really miss this thread, what happened to all it's interest?

I'm working on a Make Your Own Event Cache, where you list an event, and meet at my main cache, and it contains several tags with coordinates to seperate unpublished cache locations near-by.

With several teams participating, you will have time to get to know each other, as several teams may have to wait for a needed tag to complete the series, or group up together. These would be non-trading caches with little comemoritave books, and each of the satillite caches would contain a stamper to stamp the pages

THHGTTG Series would make a great theme for this idea.

What do you think?

quote:
Originally posted by Eeyore and Shadow:

What better to find in a cache than a personal insult? Maybe laminated so your insult will last longer than you.

I'd surely come for my own personal insult! Would we all have to arrive in alphabetical order? icon_confused.gif

Bump,

Is anyone at all still interested in this? I'm still doing the caches regardless of participation. I have a few more that are almost ready for placement.

I thought that this idea would really take-off. icon_confused.gif

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

Has anyone got a somewhat complete (or even slighty accurate) listing of all the hitchhiker cacahes out there? I am kicking around a couple ideas for this theme up here in the great northwest and I would like to know if there are any others up here and/or if my ideas have been done yet.

* Remember... Only you can pervert forest faeries... *

**Namaste**

quote:
Originally posted by bazzle:

Has anyone got a somewhat complete (or even slighty accurate) listing of all the hitchhiker cacahes out there? I am kicking around a couple ideas for this theme up here in the great northwest and I would like to know if there are any others up here and/or if my ideas have been done yet.

**Namaste**

http://www.pdxgeocaching.com

That's part of the reason that I started this thread. Getting DA related caches listed here to start a network.

Miss Jenn, There would be several games based on stat data for game pieces. That way anyone could join the game(s) at any time. It should be chaotic like the books.

As yet the network listed here is too small to be really fun. There should be caches in other countries and in as many states as possible.

Lastly, I don't want to RUN anything. DA's work has a life of it's own. This game should too. I have been out of the activity for reasons beyond my control. I'm getting back in slowly.

More THGTTG caches are on the way!

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

So I take it that is a no Snoogans? Or have you complied a list from the data contained within this thread?

**Namaste**

Well a partitial list at least icon_wink.gif

I was rather hoping someone had complied the cache info on a page someplace so that one can see them with sifting through the other conversations in this thread. Since that does not appear to be the case yet, look for it soon icon_biggrin.gif.

This thread is a good start, but rather cumbersome for someone simply wanting cache listings. So I will put it together and post a link here. If anyone has a cache they would like to have on the list, and it is not contained within this thread, email the info to me and I will include it on the page.

Official H2G2 Researcher #248886 www.pdxgeocaching.com

**Namaste**

I was rather hoping someone had complied the cache info on a page someplace so that one can see them with sifting through the other conversations in this thread. Since that does not appear to be the case yet, look for it soon

Bazzle,

is it soon yet???

:unsure:

The next cache I set out will hopefully be a HGTTG themed cache.... if I can work out the details. The forces of the Heart Of Gold's improbability field need to be at work in order for it to work.

Actually I have rather let this slip. Been working on research for a new challenge cache in my area for this spring. It is the type of cache that needs several scouting missions and thorough planning as there are no trails and no clear easy route to the location. It sure is great to live in an area where caches like this can exist :unsure:

I do not know if/when I will actually get a HGTTG cache designed. But if I do, maybe then I will work up that list...

:mad: I can't believe I've just now stumbled into this thread.(Thank god I've got my towel) I am a huge fan of The Douglas Adams books. I originally read The Hitchhiker's Guide in 1983 when I was hitchhiking across the USA,and have been a huge fan ever since. Go here for a somewhat complete, almost done, not quite finished listing of caches and TB's associated with this thread:

THHGTTG

All the info is being compiled from info obtained in this thread. I have only compiled the info posted on page 1, will work on page 2 tommorow or the next day!

Edited by programmer64
I have recently placed the following caches with local family members who are new geocachers:

7/18/2003 Young Zaphod Plays It Safe

7/18/2003 Crash site of the Golgafrinchan "B" Ark:

7/18/2003 The Salmon of Doubt

7/16/2003 The FrogStar (West)

7/14/2003 Veet Voojagig's Ballpoint Planet: Wormhole #1

;) Links would be nice!

Edited by programmer64

:)DON'T PANIC

big%20tung.gif

There is a thread in the TB forum associated with the douglas adams books from the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series.

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy cache game

I would really like to see discussed here,as it pertains more to the whole sport than just Bugs. It might get a little more action. It is an old thread started last year that seems to have died off. Is anyone really still interested? I have compiled all the caches and TB's I could find related to this theme, you can find them here:Hitchhikers guide page

I would love to generate some interest.

Edited by programmer64
Earlier in the thread,  MissJenn remarked that she had never heard the radio series.  That is a deprivation which should not be allowed to stand, so MissJenn, keep an eye out for TB Don't Panic. It’s somewhere in Texas right now, just having been checked into a series of HHG themed caches there. Perhaps an appropriate new cache in PA might attract the TB to MissJenn’s area.

I kept an eye out and now my ears have fallen upon good fortune: The TB has successfully found me!

:D:):):)

:) I can't believe I've just now stumbled into this thread.(Thank god I've got my towel) I am a huge fan of The Douglas Adams books. I originally read The Hitchhiker's Guide in 1983 when I was hitchhiking across the USA,and have been a huge fan ever since. Go here for a somewhat complete, almost done, not quite finished listing of caches and TB's associated with this thread:

THHGTTG

All the info is being compiled from info obtained in this thread. I have only compiled the info posted on page 1, will work on page 2 tommorow or the next day!

There's a link there to the old text game! I used to play that on my Commodore 64! :)