I'm Curious

genegene

Just over the border in NY from me (I'm in Pittsfield Massachusetts) there is a old RR line that used to run from NYC to Rutland VT and maybe further.

Now the line ends in Wassaic NY (tracks pulled after this point) and then reconnects very very briefly in Chatham NY on a working line and then continues empty and track less up to North Petersburgh NY where it would have connected to another line at N42° 50.038 W73° 19.541

Seeing an old rail line that is empty or turned into a rail trail is not uncommon but to see one with out any listed BM's on it is.

On this entire line there are very few markers along the working section. On the empty line there are none at all.

I know that the line dates back to 1899 as one of the bridges has that date on it.

Is it possible that they did not mark this RR line or could it be that the info was never entered into the NGS Database because of inaccurate or missing data by someone and I quote Papa-Bear-NYC

the datasheet was unpublished for lack of a description, as was true for a number of Borden's stations.
?

The principal C&GS leveling networks for bench marks were planned out to look something like a saggy fish net on the map, with the lines perhaps 20 or more miles apart. Railroads were used not because they were railroads per se, but because they provided a route with gradual elevation change and long lines of sight.

Most likely another RR line or road in this area was chosen, and there was little need for bench marks on this one.

Ah, that makes sense. Where I live, the old Erie-Lackawanna has maybe ten benchmarks on the way into the city. The old CNJ has none! But the NYS&W (about 14 miles north) has quite a number of benchmarks.

genegene brings out a nostalgic moment. We used to spend August in the New Brittain section of New Lebanon. My aunt's friend used to go back to the city once during the month. For a while, she took the train from East Chatham. When they closed that station, she caught the train in Chatham. I haven't been up there in decades!