Chirp Muggled

kunarion

I'm not kidding. I have a Chirp data transmitter glued to a thumbtack, and that assembly was stuck to a tree in my backyard. I covered the black plastic Chirp with a layer of camo moleskin (thick cloth tape), and it blended well with the branch. It also became valuable to squirrels as nest lining. They've pulled the Chirp off the branch (which I almost expected). It's NOT on the ground, but it's transmitting. I'm 90% positive it's in a squirrel nest, 30 feet up one of the trees in the back yard (I didn't expect this).

This will be fine for at least 6 months, til I want to change the battery. By that time, I'm hoping nest remodelling has caused the thing to fall to the ground. Several issues prevent me from scurrying up a tree to find the Chirp. This particular Chirp was not optimal. It seems somewhat weak, slightly defective. So maybe it's no great loss. This actually is one reason I'm testing it at home first.

But next time, I will need to make it completely unappealing to wildlife.

Be sure to check it periodically... IF a squirrel sits on that tack, it will likely chuck it out... minus the camo!

After all they have to live there... but they might not...

On the other hand it might have the makings of a good 'unknown' type cache... how to rescue a beacon in distress from a 'monster' that lives in a high place... just add a few non physical stages to move action away from your back door... Nah! that wouldn't work... but it might later at another location.. besides it's close to being an ALR... but it would be a 'puzzle' and a bit of a 'challenge', wouldn't it?

Good luck!

Doug 7rxc

The little Chirps do resemble nuts. You are probably right.....it's likely in a nest or one of the squirrel's "caches" (ironically). :unsure: Maybe you can set out one day, get still and watch where they frequent.

Hope you find it. If you do, attach it to a rubber snake next time. Maybe they won't fool with it then. :D

It's NOT on the ground, but it's transmitting. I'm 90% positive it's in a squirrel nest, 30 feet up one of the trees in the back yard

I know you're semi-out $20 but the whole thing just is somehow hilarious to me as a casual reader. Imagine the difficulty of the cache if one eats it, but I suppose that would invalidate the cache as no travelling caches are permitted any more :-)

I know you're semi-out $20 but the whole thing just is somehow hilarious to me as a casual reader. Imagine the difficulty of the cache if one eats it, but I suppose that would invalidate the cache as no travelling caches are permitted any more :-)

I hate to say this, but that also gave both my wife and I a smile this morning. Better hope the squirrel doesn't figure out how to re-program it! :)

I hate to say this, but that also gave both my wife and I a smile this morning. Better hope the squirrel doesn't figure out how to re-program it! :)

How does it feel to be out-geocached by a squirrel?
But squirrels don't have opposable thumbs, so they can't sign a log sheet. Maybe that's why they stole my Chirp. Those vindictive little critters... :)

The very first thing I tested was burying the Chirp. That completely blocked the signal, so then I half-buried it under an above-ground tree root -- same problem. It seems best someplace rather high up (out of sight and reach of casual muggles), but still accessible for the battery change. No more cloth covering, it will just have enough camo colors to make it tough to see.

Edited by kunarion

Glue the chirp to the trigger on a mouse trap! hehehehe...... that'll stop those pesky rodents...and less honorable geocachers...

"The early bird gets the worm. The second mouse gets the cheese." -Steven Wright

Squirrels have been hiding things from each other long before we geocachers. They scoff at camo tape and traps. The squirrel nation is probably ticked off about biting into an acorns with bison tubes in them, too.

I need you to put me in touch with this squirrel. I'm recruiting squirrels to help me with a certain geocache that's ~25 feet up in a tree. During testing, the squirrels I've found have no trouble climbing, no trouble chewing through rope, and no trouble bringing me the test container. The problem I'm having is finding a squirrel that can successfully use wire ties to reattach the container after I sign the log. I'm so close. It sounds like you found a squirrel that may be up to the task.