Bulk Downloads?

gunnerb

Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to this hobby/sport/activity, and am using a Garmin GPSMap 60Csx. I wind up sitting at my computer dumping caches one at a time to the receiver. This is very time consuming especially when my spouse is ready to go, and it's somewhere we haven't been before. Is there a procedure that I can follow to mark and then download all the marked caches to my GPS without having to do each one individually?????

Any help would be appreciated. I've done one pocket query and overwhelmed myself with a stack of paper that was in no specific order. Like to avoid that if at all possible.

Thanks

gunnerb

Pocket Queries are the answer. Sounds like you may have tried to get them one by one rather than wait for the GPX email or download the GPX file.

Pocket queries allow you to get a GPX formatted file of up to 1000 caches at time in an area or along a route that meet the criteria you specify. See http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Be sure to select a day for it to run and you'll get the file.

And keep in mind that the day you select may not be the day you think it is. By that I mean that these queries tend to run on the wee hours of the morning (Seattle time). So if I am setting one up on Friday afternoon, and choose Friday as the run date, it probably wont run until after midnight next week.

Since the exact timing never seems the same depending on how busy the server is. This confused the daylights out of me for a while. If I want one for the weekend, I will set it to run on FRI, SAT and SUN. After a few times you get the feel for the timing and can fine tune them. For me, my PQ's arrive in my email any time between 7-9am on the chosen day. Your timing may differ.

And keep in mind that the day you select may not be the day you think it is. By that I mean that these queries tend to run on the wee hours of the morning (Seattle time). So if I am setting one up on Friday afternoon, and choose Friday as the run date, it probably wont run until after midnight next week.

Since the exact timing never seems the same depending on how busy the server is. This confused the daylights out of me for a while. If I want one for the weekend, I will set it to run on FRI, SAT and SUN. After a few times you get the feel for the timing and can fine tune them. For me, my PQ's arrive in my email any time between 7-9am on the chosen day. Your timing may differ.

That isn't my experience at all!!

When setting up a new pq, I will choose the day (today) and get the results within 5 minutes (in most cases).

That isn't my experience at all!!

When setting up a new pq, I will choose the day (today) and get the results within 5 minutes (in most cases).

You get the downloadable file that quick? Mine take forever, I get the preview right away, but not the file. Do you have Platinum Membership? :unsure:

You get the downloadable file that quick? Mine take forever, I get the preview right away, but not the file. Do you have Platinum Membership?

That's my general response time. Never more than a few minutes for a new query and even if I click and old one for the current day in the evening it is there in the AM (New Queries go to the head of the que and if you click run and delete it also goes to the top of the list). And they run 24 hours a day on a separate server not in the wee hours. Just ran a new one as test while working on this answer and it is back.

You mentioned paperwork which I don't understand. There are many programs for the viewing of GPX data so you only print what you need. The best of which is GSAK.

And lastly since the 60 isn't paperless pick up a used Palm (around $15 on eBay) and get cachemate or look for an application for your smart phone that will show all the data.

You get the downloadable file that quick? Mine take forever, I get the preview right away, but not the file. Do you have Platinum Membership?

That's my general response time. Never more than a few minutes for a new query and even if I click and old one for the current day in the evening it is there in the AM (New Queries go to the head of the que and if you click run and delete it also goes to the top of the list).

Maybe that's it. I have not put any new one in the queue for a while. Mine are all older. I generally modify my existing ones rather than create new ones.

Just for the heck of it I just created a brand new one to see what happens. Set it to run on Sat and Sun.

EDIT: Wow, that worked. I never realized there was a difference between a new query and an existing one. Good information to have.

Edited by John in Valley Forge

Thanks much to everyone who replied to this question. I'm late responding because I forgot where I found this forum, and haven't been on the site for a couple of days. Don't you hate it when work interferes with fun? Goes along with my lack of geo-sense. I have an old Tungsten E, but I'm not sure it'll work for this application. If I'm wrong please let me know. I wasn't aware that the PQ could be downloaded to the receiver. I'll try that next. It's gotta be easier than printing out a mass of paper. I didn't realize that I could download everything to my receiver. The 60 won't hold the details, but if I'm not mistaken the macros mentioned by pickatree would help. Where can I find and download the GSAK and the macros???? Looking at getting a new smart phone thing that'll give me the cache locations as well as the brief description of what I'm looking for. Been looking in the blind because I don't want to take notes on the details. Probably accounts for my low cache finds. Thanks again for all who responded.

gunnerb@email.com