Travel bug wormhole

Team Og Rof A Klaw

Just wondering whether anyone's ever set up a travel bug wormhole. This would be a pair of connected caches. Travel bugs move through hyperspace, infinite improbability tunneling, bistromathic transduction, etc. to the connected cache on the other side of ... wherever.

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

All who wander are not lost.

I always like the idea proposed by the episode of Star Trek: TNG called "The Price" (Season 3). One end of the wormhole is stable and remains in one position. The other end of the wormhole whips around the galaxy.

Translated into Geocaching...

A Travel Bug Wormhole that is a cache that is in a known location. You NEVER know where the Travel Bug will show up next.

Oooo... Thats just plain mean.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Huh. THAT would be an interesting idea.

The way *I* see it, the way this could work is this: two or more Geocachers that are 1000 miles from each other start organizing. They agree to VERY CLOSELY MONITOR their wormhole caches. Maybe they deliberately place caches close to where they work or live, to make it very easy to check. icon_smile.gif

When a TB lands in a wormhole cache, the cache owner instantly grabs it. They then email the TB owner to make sure they are OK with the wormhole concept.

With TB owner permission, the wormhole cache owner then snail-mails it to their wormhole cache partners far away.

The receiver then places that TB into one of their local caches. icon_wink.gif

Another name for a wormhole cache could be a "TB Fast-Forward" cache.

If this catches on, then TB owners could have fun asking their bugs to be placed in as many Fast Forward caches as possible.

THAT would be FUN! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Sparrowhawk on June 19, 2003 at 11:43 AM.]

Well if you think about it - this happens to a TB anyways. You start it somewhere... you might have a general idea where you want it to go, but where it goes while on its way is anyones guess. The spots they stop in are always far more interesting to me then where they end up.

My problem is that mine usually end up in a black hole. I no longer do TB's because they always end up AWOL.

--------------------------------------------------

If you're ever stuck in some thick undergrowth, in your underwear, don't stop and think of what other words have "under"; in them, because that's probably the first sign of jungle madness.

Always?

Geoffrey

There was a glitch in his travels. He showed up having gone through a parallel universe AND a wormhole. Original character released 10/9/2001.

Aquaman. Stranded for a while, but still going. Original character released 11/14/2001.

Superman Still going. Original character released 11/14/2001.

Batman. Missing in action for a while, then recovered. Still going. Original character released 11/14/2001.

Wonder Woman. Still going. Original character released 11/14/2001. Only reason she hasn't completed the race is that I haven't gotten the finish line back up and running.

Illuvian. Not really following mission, but still going. Orignally released 1/12/2002.

Racer X Originally released 10/10/2002 and still going.

Jocko Originally released 10/10/2002 and still going.

Mitsuko Originally released 10/17/2002 and still going.

TC Originally released 11/3/2002 and still going.

Milo Released less than a month ago. Kinda stalled, but I'm not worried.

And the grand-daddy of them all:

Scoob and Shag. Originally released 6/23/2001 - pre travel bug. Washed down the river in July of 2001, but characters replaced and rereleased. Separated from each other in the SE in December of 2001. Reuinted (with a replacement Scooby character). Since then, travelling happily around the US. About to get to a BIG event, and hopefully make it back home for our July picnic.

They can be done.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Just wondering whether anyone's ever set up a travel bug wormhole. This would be a pair of connected caches. Travel bugs move through hyperspace, infinite improbability tunneling, bistromathic transduction, etc. to the connected cache on the other side of ... wherever.

Team Og Rof A Klaw

When you mentioned bistromath, I know I have found a kindred spirit!

Not quite what you were looking for originally, but here is one wormhole idea .... also in the Hitchhiker's Guide flavor.