Nano and Micro Amnesty

OK, I've become a grumpy old git (and I'm not yet 40 - honest!)

I really enjoy caching and I especially like a series where there are very few micros. My kids also appear to grumble considerably less.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for micros and nanos - in urban areas especially, there is often a call for them.

I've got 2 series out at the moment - the Woburn Series and the Leighton Linslade caches which can be done in a circle if wished.

I've started a project whereby I am going to replace as many nanos and micros as possible and replace them with proper plastic and metal boxes.

I guess the aim of my scheme is thus: When you're placing caches, remember the magic slogan:

Why place a micro when you could place an Ammo Can?

Anyone else care to join me in my amnesty scheme?

Also, before placing a cache especially in urban areas, perhaps people should consider whether or not there is any merit with bringing people to a particular site.

OK, I've become a grumpy old git (and I'm not yet 40 - honest!)

I really enjoy caching and I especially like a series where there are very few micros. My kids also appear to grumble considerably less.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for micros and nanos - in urban areas especially, there is often a call for them.

I've got 2 series out at the moment - the Woburn Series and the Leighton Linslade caches which can be done in a circle if wished.

I've started a project whereby I am going to replace as many nanos and micros as possible and replace them with proper plastic and metal boxes.

I guess the aim of my scheme is thus: When you're placing caches, remember the magic slogan:

Anyone else care to join me in my amnesty scheme?

Also, before placing a cache especially in urban areas, perhaps people should consider whether or not there is any merit with bringing people to a particular site.

Here is a log from one of our caches. We're already on it! We do have a few nanos left, but they're appropriate for their location.

Surely replacing your own micros is not an amnesty, but just a u-turn of your wishy-washy principles.

And your SLOGAN has considerable facist overtones.

I believe you may actually be that Crackerjack stalwart Stu Francis.

"Ooh,I could crush a grape"

"Ooh, I could test-drive a Tonka!"

or...even better...

"Ooh, I'd love to mush up some micros!"

B)

Edited by currykev

Surely replacing your own micros is not an amnesty, but just a u-turn of your wishy-washy principles.

You are right that replacing his own micros is not an amnesty. However, inviting people to do the same where they can is.

Oh please!!!!!!!! Let's not start throwing words like fascist around. All he's trying to do is encourage people to place larger caches where they can so that things, especially trackables, can be swapped.

He even says that nanos and micros have their place. So calm down, if you don't agree with someone feel free to express that opinion but there are better ways to do it.

oh so if you want to place a cache now you just move one that may be in the way so you can place your own

is this another new rule?

I'm not sure who you were referring to there, but wanted to clarify what the log I linked to earlier is about.

I'm not seeing who's moved a cache 'that may be in the way' in order to place one of their own.

I mentioned moving one of my own caches by about 5m to the other side of a path, which allowed me to replace the original magnetic nano with a much larger container. It's not entirely clear from that log.

Anyway, judging from the logs since then, it's much more appreciated than the magnetic nano was.

I won't be replacing any of my other micros as their size is appropriate for the location. This cache was one where our initial cache placement wasn't as well thought out as it should have been. Lessons learned and bigger container in situ. :unsure:

You are right that replacing his own micros is not an amnesty. However, inviting people to do the same where they can is.

Oh please!!!!!!!! Let's not start throwing words like fascist around. All he's trying to do is encourage people to place larger caches where they can so that things, especially trackables, can be swapped.

He even says that nanos and micros have their place. So calm down, if you don't agree with someone feel free to express that opinion but there are better ways to do it.

Yes but...he cleverly states....

"Nano and Micro Amnesty, Care to join my conversion scheme?"

He's obviously trying to surreptitiously convert us all to his wicked ideologies.

If we don't repel such right wing behaviour now, think what might happen in due course.

Either reject or succumb.

I think I know where your sympathies lie my friend. :D

I see you're from Baildon.

Is that like Basildon, but less so? :unsure:

Go to your bed and think about what may be.

I'm off to mine to mentally flagellate myself.

Edited by currykev

NANO NANO NANO

Should come with a warning. For "Crying out loud" "COL" LOL

I wouldn't aft prefer to find a box with a logbook that doesn't need a magnifying glass to read it.

once found one of them Pine Cone Caches with this tiny wincy little tube and this even tinyer wincyer bit of paper in side that took me half an hour to roll it back up and get it in properly.

Try doing that when ya got Arthritis. Well my signature could have filled the page.

Bloody nuisance !!

II yet to find a big Camo box. Dat be nice mon.

--

Somewhere out there in the vast nothingness of space...

Somewhere far away in space and time..

Staring upwards at the gleaming stars in the obsidian sky

We're marooned on a small island,

In an endless sea,

Confined to a tiny spit of sand.

:D

Will there be a place where nanos and micros can be anonymously handed in for safe disposal to ensure that they do not get back into circulation :D ?

I know a Softy Southern Shandy Supper who would LOVE that job B)

M :D

Oi... I resemble that remark! <_<

If the cap fits John pet :D

I wonder if we could melt down the "Monster" of the North and make it into ammo cans hmm ;)

M

Oh whats wrong with nano's i like them!

Especially trying to roll the logs back up!

I much prefer to find a descent nano than an an ammo can placed with out imagination, but i also like to find a well thought out ammo can than a nano placed without imagination.

So really we just need to get cachers to think about what is right and imaginative before placing any caches.

The only nano I liked was in a pinecone. Other than clever ones like that, I'm sick of them!

I don't have any nanos hid, never will. I have one bison tube on the bottom on a bench in an awesome park.

My others are small or regular containers. I hide what I like to find.

You need to look for some of mine, my pine cone is probably my least imaginative!

not all nanos are horrible or in bad places.

The only nano I liked was in a pinecone. Other than clever ones like that, I'm sick of them!

I don't have any nanos hid, never will. I have one bison tube on the bottom on a bench in an awesome park.

My others are small or regular containers. I hide what I like to find.

You need to look for some of mine, my pine cone is probably my least imaginative!

not all nanos are horrible or in bad places.

I can't say they all are, true! The ones I have found are. Hopefully I'll find some that change my past experience!

I'm getting good at rolling them tightly though.

Because the ammo can got nicked, then the replacement regular cache got nicked, then two small caches in succession got nicked. Now that particular cache is a micro.

I do agree with you though, and I try to upgrade my caches if at all possible.

Watch out - There's a bag of fun for those that are in micro-denial :laughing:

send them all to Keehotee, I believe he especially likes them :laughing:

Bring 'em on - the council have just delivered our new recycling bins :rolleyes::lol:

But will you know which of the many bins to put them in :rolleyes:

Aaaah - you're South Glos as well.....

I would put them in the placcy bottles bag - but they don't collect that until next week - which is a black bin week (I think) - unless they go out with glass and cans (but that was this week), or is that food waste? No, that's every week. Perhaps. When do they collect paper waste? And why can't we put cardboard in the green bin anymore???

I would put them in the placcy bottles bag - but they don't collect that until next week - which is a black bin week (I think) - unless they go out with glass and cans (but that was this week), or is that food waste? No, that's every week. Perhaps. When do they collect paper waste? And why can't we put cardboard in the green bin anymore???

But do they keep all the different bits seperate? We have 2 boxes and a bag, collected fortnightly, one for glass, one for paper and one for a mix of tins and plastic - but all three are thrown into the back of the same rubbish truck together, fine it saves them reissuing new bins if they've changed the system, but why then do the bin men refuse to empty the containers if you haven't seperated them properly....

All this talk of recycling bins made me think of this cache... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ce-cbd56d736736 (trying to get back on topic slightly after that)

But do they keep all the different bits seperate? We have 2 boxes and a bag, collected fortnightly, one for glass, one for paper and one for a mix of tins and plastic - but all three are thrown into the back of the same rubbish truck together, fine it saves them reissuing new bins if they've changed the system, but why then do the bin men refuse to empty the containers if you haven't seperated them properly....

All this talk of recycling bins made me think of this cache... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ce-cbd56d736736 (trying to get back on topic slightly after that)

It's bottle banks all over again.

Always remember to put the correct coloured bottles in the correct bins, people.

That way, when it all gets crunched up together to make road aggregate, the recycling men have something to laugh at :D:D

Quality not quantity.

Put out a few really good well stocked caches that people will be glad to find, that's my moto.

If everyone put out just one great cache the world would be a better place!

And as for nanos, they have there place in bringing people to an amazing place or site, But always try to put in the biggest cache you can.

And what a great cache it is, but its hardly the biggest container that would fit in the location.

But it was fun to find and made me chuckle, and to me that is what caching is about.

Enjoyment of finding the cache, swaps hardly ever come into it for us.

But finding a good container in an apt location or a nice walk placed with a sense of humour or irony does it for us :anitongue: