Pet hates when caching?

People grabbing tb before you have time to log them into a cache, did one today at 2pm, went to log at 4.30pm and it was already grabbed! Is this maybe people caching on iphones etc and they dont realise none iphone users have to get home to log?

As far as I know the iPhone app doesn't do this by default. You have to select the traveller to grab from the cache, and then typing its number in. I'm sure it can do it if you go purely through trackables. By default you'd grab it from the cache page as this uses less bandwidth and battery... Enter the wrong code for the traveller and you get an error message. I found this out when expecting one TB I found another.

Claiming to have done a circular in record time, when some simple maths confirms otherwise...... many examples available..... How long does it take to get off the path, FIND the well hidden cache, remove the log, write your name, roll log back up, seal container, rehide it WELL, return to the path and then be on your way?.... even if you agree that this would be an amazing THREE mins, I have read many claims that people have been round an 'X' mile circuit in 'Y' hrs, with 'Z' caches and if you factor in the amazing THREE mins stop per find, the calculated speed of these cachers is often an incredible 15+ mph.... and they claim they enjoyed the 'leisurely walk'.....Get upto 5-10min stop at each cache and some of these people are literally flying around.....then if you factor in some lunch......I bet some people break the sound barrier...... Makes me smile everytime..... :-))

Claiming to have done a circular in record time, when some simple maths confirms otherwise...... many examples available..... How long does it take to get off the path, FIND the well hidden cache, remove the log, write your name, roll log back up, seal container, rehide it WELL, return to the path and then be on your way?.... even if you agree that this would be an amazing THREE mins, I have read many claims that people have been round an 'X' mile circuit in 'Y' hrs, with 'Z' caches and if you factor in the amazing THREE mins stop per find, the calculated speed of these cachers is often an incredible 15+ mph.... and they claim they enjoyed the 'leisurely walk'.....Get upto 5-10min stop at each cache and some of these people are literally flying around.....then if you factor in some lunch......I bet some people break the sound barrier...... Makes me smile everytime..... :-))

Done 10 second finds on tricky ones... An easy one is getting an 8th visit tomorrow, and I have to find it!

Skeg to Ness is going within a day once we start it... I'm plotting! Only way to know it's a false time claim is if it's purely walking, no way you could drive and run faster... Not many places where that's impossible! I live log these days to remove said doubt. Found one in less than a second the other day... Distance to next cache 0.2 miles... 5 minutes walking, 3 of which is finding and logging according to the above... One tops in reality. So I've half of my walking time in hand... 15mph is possible if allowed 3 minute to make the find.

1. People who can't log trackables properly. Absolute top irritation for me. It's not difficult and "newbie-ness" is a pathetic excuse. Or worse, steal your GC. Seriously, what value do they have outside of the game?

2. Naff caches. We've some very experienced cachers round here who are laying the most abysmal caches, I suspect just to boost their numbers. Why!? Lay an interesting cache or take me to an interesting location. Please.

3. Barbed wire. Bloody barbed wire. Why do so many people insist on laying caches behind barbed flippin' wire.

It's not a hate when they're not included but I do appreciate when people include a waypoint for parking, and I do appreciate attributes, at least when they're accurate. It's just helpful, or courteous at least, and shows a bit of effort. And I don't like people complaining about dog poo when you're in the middle of "proper" woodland. Crikey, no-ones runs around picking up the horse poo, or the rabbit poo, or the fox poo, or the deer poo... you get the idea. Outside of these areas - yes, of course pick up your poo!

Sorry for an extremely sad grumble, but I get ridiculously bothered by "your" and "you're" being used incorrectly, as in "your looking for..." as opposed to "you're looking for..." I know it's not that big a deal but I just can't get over it.

NETTLES, hate the things due to the fact that I like to cache most of the year in shorts. Mainly this is only a problem where cachers have not looked at the area around the cache and thought about what will happen during nettle season. Attempted 3 the other week and although I managed to beat back the first lot there was no way I was even going to attempt the other two as they were surrounded by a badmington court sized area of nettles.

NETTLES, hate the things due to the fact that I like to cache most of the year in shorts. Mainly this is only a problem where cachers have not looked at the area around the cache and thought about what will happen during nettle season. Attempted 3 the other week and although I managed to beat back the first lot there was no way I was even going to attempt the other two as they were surrounded by a badmington court sized area of nettles.

Naked male legs are usually quite disgusting... wear a stout pair of denim jeans and nettle stings will be a thing of the past :lol::lol:

Naked male legs are usually quite disgusting... wear a stout pair of denim jeans and nettle stings will be a thing of the past :lol::lol:

We do cache as a couple and her legs are on show for 8 months of the time as well

Sorry for an extremely sad grumble, but I get ridiculously bothered by "your" and "you're" being used incorrectly, as in "your looking for..." as opposed to "you're looking for..." I know it's not that big a deal but I just can't get over it.

Glad I'm not the only one. It's not a big deal to get it write.... oh, hang on....

At the moment , watching a geocoin req'd for a puzzle cache being taken round collecting miles,

it can't leave the county so will have a lovely map eventually anyway ,without being taken around

in someones back pocket. :P:)

Oh another 23 miles added yesterday argh. in his back pocket :D :D

Edited by mickyz

Roll up logs in 35mm containers - Why do people make the effort to roll it back up with front page at the front? Why not just roll it up and leave it on the page of the last signature? That way it makes it easier to find where to sign and makes signatures go in date order. Takes ages to unroll and find the random page where people have signed.... it would also make things easier for those that find a cache, retrieve, sign and put back all in under half a second...that way those people can get back on their 20mph 'leisurely walk', per my previous post on this thread..... ;-))

Roll up logs in 35mm containers - Why do people make the effort to roll it back up with front page at the front? Why not just roll it up and leave it on the page of the last signature? That way it makes it easier to find where to sign and makes signatures go in date order. Takes ages to unroll and find the random page where people have signed.... it would also make things easier for those that find a cache, retrieve, sign and put back all in under half a second...that way those people can get back on their 20mph 'leisurely walk', per my previous post on this thread..... ;-))

Unless there is a bonus and I need to collect the numbers. The times I have forgotton to check the cover for C=5 or whatever then had to guess the where the final bonus is! :blink:

At the moment , watching a geocoin req'd for a puzzle cache being taken round collecting miles,

it can't leave the county so will have a lovely map eventually anyway ,without being taken around

in someones back pocket. :P:)

Oh another 23 miles added yesterday argh. in his back pocket :D :D

Thinking of doing one of these... But limiting the travellers to event caches only. Hopefully if I find a couple or three regular event attendees to be the guardians, they can be discovered by all who need to, every now and then. Your observation though makes me think it wouldn't work :(

New pet hate:

Cachers who put hint details in the description

or put guff in the hint which ought to be in the description

Our normal technique is:

Arrive at GZ and have a quick look for cache

if cache isn't immediately obvious

check hint

still no joy

check previous logs for clues

all else fails read the description

We DNFed some at the weekend which have half a hint in the hint and some of the hint in the description. Patience wears a bit thin after a dozen DNFs :mad:

So there! :D

Mark

"Ivy covered tree"

"Multi trunked tree"

or wait for it....

"Ivy covered multi trunked tree"

And last weekend we found a "Mossy, multi trunked ivy covered tree"

Almost top of the list is "Nice easy find".

Top of the list is people who use up inches of log in micro's.

Why shouldn't people write a "proper" log in a micro? If a CO wants to be lazy and place a micro instead of a full sized cache he/she should expect to cope with the extra maintenance required.

Or make it a Premium Members Only cache and reduce the amount of visits RedCard.gif

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Why shouldn't people write a "proper" log in a micro? If a CO wants to be lazy and place a micro instead of a full sized cache he/she should expect to cope with the extra maintenance required.

I've been thinking about this and I'm not sure that its fair to categorise a CO as lazy, simply because they've placed a micro and not a bigger container.

I'm sure there are lots of cachers who prefer to find a larger container rather than a smaller one, and I'm not saying that such a preference is wrong in any way. After all, we all have certain things we like and certain things we don't. But I don't think its always laziness which leads to the placing of a smaller one.

I know that with my micros, they've been the right size to fit the hide and in an urban or sub-urban environment they can often be the only thing which won't get muggled really quickly. I think it's sensible to write a small amount in a micro log and write your whole adventures, later, on-line in your on-line log. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily get angry at someone who's written a lot on a micro log, I think keeping the physical hand-written entry to a minimum is simply a courtesy to others.