Pet hates when caching?

I've just written a blog post on stiles. I cannot bear stiles.

It is often just me and the baby out caching in the week. Stiles are just so hard to negotiate when you have a buggy.

Micros in ivy are another pet hate, so much so we have done our own fun cache based on the theme!

Not keen on caches that have been placed for the sake of placing one. We did one recently that was a leaky box, a few bits of an old Post-it pad and a broken pencil. Why?

I'm not overly keen on deeply rutted byways, makes pushing the buggy along them very tricky.

It is often just me and the baby out caching in the week. Stiles are just so hard to negotiate when you have a buggy.

Caches that say buggy friendly but are actually about 8ft off the path through thick brambles or down a 45 degree slope, fine if there is more than one of you with the buggy but otherwise a right pain.

I cannot bear stiles.

Ah stiles! ;)

It irritates me when we embark on a series in which the CO states that it's one of their favourite dog walks only to find oodles of dog proof stiles! :unsure:

Some dog-proof stiles are great fun though. There's a couple on WayDownWest which involved lifting the reluctant Labradors well above head height!

You just can't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation ;):D

Mark

I cannot bear stiles.

Ah stiles! ;)

It irritates me when we embark on a series in which the CO states that it's one of their favourite dog walks only to find oodles of dog proof stiles! ;)

Some dog-proof stiles are great fun though. There's a couple on WayDownWest which involved lifting the reluctant Labradors well above head height!

You just can't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation :DB)

Mark

I guess that's why Groundpeak put the disclaimer that 'caching can be dangerous'!! :unsure:

I would sooooo like to see photographic proof of this! :unsure:

Gratuitous H&S Advice: Please ensure you remember to bend your knees correctly when heaving your dog over the stile. Particular care should be taken if your pet resembles the dog on the left of this photograph.

E6AD8E4F-FBC8-6E34-AA3B2D0793D86E24.jpg

MrsB

When nobody warns me that the cache will be out of reach for someone who is 5' tall. Plenty of low terrain rated caches I've been to that I've spotted but have been unable to get to due to my size, and I'm not even the shortest person I know. Thankfully most of the time I drag a taller gentleman with me, but I would have had a lot of problems without them.

Long clues...............

With your back to the road take four strides from the bush that is under the largest tree to the right, here you will find an old fence, the cache is a regular sized tupperware box with the usual swaps, notebook and pencil hidden below one of its posts the one that is slightly leaning towards the field with the lichen on top, at its base is a pile of stones and the cache is under the red flat sandstone. Please watch your footing over the rough grass and please make sure you cover it really well.

so 'post' then?

Like this one you mean? ..Ssssnake Pit

Although I must add that with all the tree cover it would make it near on impossible to find without the hint! :unsure:

I would sooooo like to see photographic proof of this! :D

Here you go! link B)

Luckily we had our son with us this time or it would have been a real struggle :unsure:

(not quite as far above head height as I'd remembered ;) Still high though! ;) )

Mark

Edited by Delta68

I cannot bear stiles.

Ah stiles! ;)

It irritates me when we embark on a series in which the CO states that it's one of their favourite dog walks only to find oodles of dog proof stiles! :unsure:

You just can't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation ;):D

Mark

Trade them in for a pair of hamsters.

Consider the following scenarios when a passing muggle spots me rummaging in the undergrowth:

Senario 1:

Muggle: Have you lost something?

Me: Yeah, the dogs' ball

Senario 2:

Me: Yeah, my hamster

:unsure:;) ;)

That might work! B)

Perhaps I'll give it a trial run sometime to see what the response is :D

Mark

Consider the following scenarios when a passing muggle spots me rummaging in the undergrowth:

Senario:

Me: Yeah, my hamster...

Muggle: *Puzzled look* ;)

Me: Yes. When we find a hidden plastic box, we leave the Hamster in it.

Muggle: *Puzzled look* :D

Me: It's called Hamster Caching...

Muggle: *Runs away screaming*

:unsure:;)

Senario 2:

:unsure:;) ;)

That might work! :lol:

Perhaps I'll give it a trial run sometime to see what the response is :D

Mark

next 3 people to ask me what i am doing will get exactly that response, stay tuned for field reports B)

I'll put the nice men in white coats on speed dial as a precaution :laughing:

There was a women who very often went around leaving the bags tied to the trees. He saw her one day get back into her car and drove off. Next time she visited shereturned to her car to find the bags tied to her wing mirror. She has never left any since!

I like that SO much

I saw a car driving along with a bag tied to the rear windscreen wiper the other day, I did wonder if they had put it there and forgotten or if it was someone else had attached it. At least it hadn't been tied to a tree, or worse in one case I found when looking for a cache near here, stuffed into the top of a tree protection tube :D worse trouble is, its my nearest unfound cache and I fear the cache is also inside a tree protection tube, which is why its still unfound. Shame as otherwise it would be a reasonable cache to find with the 3 year old :D

I saw a car driving along with a bag tied to the rear windscreen wiper the other day

I've done that at puppy training class, where they make you go and hang it on your car to make sure you take it with you. I also nearly left one hanging on a tree while signing a cache log

I saw a car driving along with a bag tied to the rear windscreen wiper the other day

I've done that at puppy training class, where they make you go and hang it on your car to make sure you take it with you. I also nearly left one hanging on a tree while signing a cache log

Thats a good idea, as I guess most places puppy classes are at don't have the right bin to put it in. I've nearly left my GPS hanging in a tree while signing a cache log :D I try to use the carabina to hang it on me now, rather than near-by vegetation.

Thats a good idea, as I guess most places puppy classes are at don't have the right bin to put it in. I've nearly left my GPS hanging in a tree while signing a cache log :anitongue: I try to use the carabina to hang it on me now, rather than near-by vegetation.

stops the car smelling too im yet to try it with the baby lol

lmn

I would say finding an urban cache hidden in a dirty area where there's evidence of people having urinated or been sick at the GZ, or the GZ being filthy with rubbish floating around where you need to stick your hands. Nasty.

Another thing I dislike is a cache difficulty rating being too high. Perhaps to lure people in?

I would say finding an urban cache hidden in a dirty area where there's evidence of people having urinated or been sick at the GZ, or the GZ being filthy with rubbish floating around where you need to stick your hands. Nasty.

Another thing I dislike is a cache difficulty rating being too high. Perhaps to lure people in?

If we get to the coordinates and it's obvious that the cache is in this sort of area, we walk away, log a DNF and state the reason why we did not search.

Edited by DizzyPair

If we get to the coordinates and it's obvious that the cache is in this sort of area, we walk away, log a DNF and state the reason why we did not search.

I often hunt with Mr Elusive and there are so many caches in London in filthy areas. You just don't want to stick your hand in some of those places. We haven't DNF from a dirty area but maybe we will start that in future.

I also agree with him on the ratings system. We have been to caches with a terrain rating of 5 and the cache has being on the railing of an easy set of public steps. Thats just wrong.... We have been to other caches where the difficulty rating is 5 when the rating should have been 1. That upsets me, because some people go after difficult caches. If you find a cache after climbing Tower Ridge on Ben Nevis in Winter then that is worthy of a difficult rating but not a set of public steps. Come on... Thats my bit for tonight.

Having been out on Dartmoor at the weekend two pet hates reared their heads.

Micros on the tors of dartmoor.....

Not a problem unless you get a useless hint. Two this weekend. 'Look at the spoiler photo' No good as we were on the moors of devon. No iPhone to download them. The second one cache had a hint 'Look at my Profile' Same response. We are not cachers who ignore hints completely, but we do try and find without hints, only referring to hints if we cannot find after 10 minutes or so of looking. Unless you had decoded these before you left home you would never have know what to do.

And dog poo bags, Nappies etc in fact the disgusting, filthy members of the british public who think the countryside is actually just a big dustbin.

I only have a couple from my limited experience.

Caches where the owner has given no thought to the location. I have been to a couple now where I have thought why on earth would someone want to bring others to this spot searching for a cache, it's a dump and has no redeeming features at all.

Poorly maintained caches, that have been previously logged as needing maintenance. Are owners lazy, or have they just turned their back on Geocaching, and all of their caches.

Missing caches with the same observation as given to caches needing maintenance as noted above.

Condoms!

Condoms left in caches- three caches now with them in. Thankfully the 5 year old has only asked about one lot, "no Big QC, you cannot swap a toy for the shiny red paper...and no, it cannot be used to make a collage."

Used condoms at GZ...twice now in a few weeks. Today though was not good. Little QC and I were searching round a large memorial stone for a tricky cache. Little QC was wandering round with me, at 15 months of age, he is not 100% steady on his feet, especially over rough terrain. Today he face planted himself 4 inches away from a condom. I picked him up and left. Beautiful area and location for the cache though, just a shame it happens to be the locals 'happy' ground!

Personally, I don't find stiles too bad with a buggy. I then to lift it over the wall/fence next to the stile and lower it down. It helps that we have a good sturdy 3-wheeler. The worst are 8 foot high kissing gates with a similar sized wall. We have a few around the lakes. For those, its easier to just get the baby out and find somewhere safe for them to play for the few seconds it takes to get through/over. We had one the other day (School Knott near Windermere) where it seemed as though the person putting it up had thought really carefully how they could best make it really difficult! 8 foot high fence with the gate the same height, narrow with a 'roof' on it. So, even collapsed it was an extremely tight squeeze. I guess its to stop deer/sheep/big black cats :blink: getting off the fell into the town.

But they are a right pain!

My pet hates:

Micros where a regular or even LARGE container could be effectively hidden (There are a few in the Ringwood area).

Caches in well-known drinking/smoking/other activities :unsure: areas. If the cache description says something along the lines of 'Watch out for loads of teenage muggles. They tend to hang around here', is it really an appropriate place for a cache? Nowt against teenagers (I was one once!), just when anyone congregates in slightly out of the way spots, they're usually up to no good. One cache in Shipley had the warning not to try looking at night (Its moved slightly, so its less of an issue now), but didn't go into detail. But the logs all mentioned hypodermics in the area the GPS was pointing. :angry:

Caches (or clues) 30 feet up in trees. :laughing:

Senario 2:

Last week I was out to do a powertrail in Hungary. The cache was up on a tree and it was well after sunset so had my headlamp on while climbing upwards, the other two were watching me from the side of the country lane. A muggle stopped his car on the road, got out and asked if I was all right. I told him I've had my degu gone up on the tree and I wanted to take it back to the car. Dunno if he believed what I just made up in that very moment but drove away quickly after. We were laughing a lot at it later...

Hello there. Newbie to caching and this forum!

Without meaning to lower the tone... I have only found 7, but my biggest gripe so far is not being able to stand and pee against a tree when caching in the woods (I am a female lol).

Yes indeed, I quite agree! My son's girlfriend bought me a Sheewee ( I think that's how you spell it) to make it possible to do just that. Having practised several times at home, I just can't get to grips with it <_< Ho hum, haven't been muggled yet but it's only a matter of time, I'm sure! :huh:

Two types of stile:

1) A kissing gate that's designed for someone about half my size. I was at one on Friday that I seriously comtemplated climbing over, it was *almost* impossible for me to squeeze through.

2) On a footbridge - just a couple of bars, about two feet and four feet up. Nothing to stand on while you climb over it. The possibility of losing balance and falling while trying to get over.

Without meaning to lower the tone... I have only found 7, but my biggest gripe so far is not being able to stand and pee against a tree when caching in the woods (I am a female lol).

A lady friend of mine always used to reckon that if she stood on her hands she could pee higher up a tree than any man.

Whether you like it or not the tone is taking a nose dive!

If you do need to go, wait until you've found the cache though, otherwise you could be logging

Found OK, but cache was a bit damp

and yes it has happened! :o

Edited by MartyBartfast

Oh, I've just thought of another one. Completely useless hints.

The 'it's at the base of a tree' is pretty dadgum obvious when I'm in the middle of a wood. The reason I am looking at the hint is because I can't find it, so to be greeted by somthing like this is pretty annoying. If your hint isn't going to add anything useful, why bother including one?

Going out caching with Miyagawa and realising the cache we just found together is a premium so I can't log it. *facepalm*

Yes you can, and here's a response from Jeremy (Chief Lackey wrangler at Groundspeak) explaining that they have deliberately left a back door just for people like you. I can't remember how you do it ATM, but if you search the forums it's not too difficult to find, and in any case I expect someone will be along soon with the detail.

Edit to add:

Just go to http://geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?WP=GCxxxxx

substituting the real GC code for GCxxxxx and you can log it, it may be polite to explain in your log that you're not a PM but were caching with a PM when you found it.

Edited by MartyBartfast

Going out caching with Miyagawa and realising the cache we just found together is a premium so I can't log it. *facepalm*

Yes you can, and here's a response from Jeremy (Chief Lackey wrangler at Groundspeak) explaining that they have deliberately left a back door just for people like you. I can't remember how you do it ATM, but if you search the forums it's not too difficult to find, and in any case I expect someone will be along soon with the detail.

Edit to add:

Just go to http://geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?WP=GCxxxxx

substituting the real GC code for GCxxxxx and you can log it, it may be polite to explain in your log that you're not a PM but were caching with a PM when you found it.

What a star - thank you! It never even occurred to me to look for anything like that. :)

Having been out on Dartmoor at the weekend two pet hates reared their heads.

Micros on the tors of dartmoor.....

Not a problem unless you get a useless hint. Two this weekend. 'Look at the spoiler photo' No good as we were on the moors of devon. No iPhone to download them. The second one cache had a hint 'Look at my Profile' Same response. We are not cachers who ignore hints completely, but we do try and find without hints, only referring to hints if we cannot find after 10 minutes or so of looking. Unless you had decoded these before you left home you would never have know what to do.

And dog poo bags, Nappies etc in fact the disgusting, filthy members of the british public who think the countryside is actually just a big dustbin.

I know the feeling sometimes as I cache often on Dartmoor and if I haven't brought a clue along for all the caches i will be doing I pray that they are not hidden on the Tor but over 30ft from it as I end up climbing all over and around it due to variable accuracy then give up.

Most are hidden away from the Tor though mostly due to muggles.

Edited by moor to sea

What I hate? Finding out the majority of my local caches are Premiums when I'm looking to stay local...! And knowing that becoming a premium member isn't an option at the moment.

:(

I hate whinging non premium freeloaders bitching they can't get premium perks for free :rolleyes:

*EDIT*

Sorry to whoever complained, that was maybe a little harsh... the underlying message is though, the choice (and there is choice) is yours, pay and have 'em or don't pay and don't.

Jon.

Edited by Dakar4x4

Well, not really a pet hete, but I'm sure it's a common problem.

we enjoyed caching as a family for all the right reasons,.....until...

OUR BOY!...... who, on the day he turned 14 years of age (in January 2011), overnight, discovered that,

- Walking any further than 10 feet from a parked car rendered him incapacitated,

- geocaching was "A complete waste of his life!"

- and was "Invented for losers!"

Yes, unfortunately he's contracted the "teen" disorder where, any activity occuring outside a distance of aprox. 100m from a computer console and a curtained room, will cause great distress and anxiety.

It will pass................eventually.................sigh!............

Edited by granite basher 99

What I hate? Finding out the majority of my local caches are Premiums when I'm looking to stay local...! And knowing that becoming a premium member isn't an option at the moment.

:(

I hate whinging non premium freeloaders bitching they can't get premium perks for free :rolleyes:

*EDIT*

Sorry to whoever complained, that was maybe a little harsh... the underlying message is though, the choice (and there is choice) is yours, pay and have 'em or don't pay and don't.

Jon.

Moi? Freeloading? Perish the thought! ;-)

At the moment, my choice and it isn't much of one, is to not be a PM, purely because I like eating. But it does make caching a longer distance activity instead.

bad coordinates.

That and bad coordinates which don't get updated after several cachers have pointed out the wrong coorindates and even posted what the right coordinates should be!

And in general, abandoned caches, I have one in York that I think I'm going to archive as I won't be working in York for much longer, rather than just leave it to rot.