Pet hates when caching?

Having your caching trip interrupted cause you've got to take your other half to A&E :)

Heh - I'm not that bad...

In six and a half years caching I've only been hospitalized 3 times. :D

But enough.... my pet hates -

Nanos marked as "other" :lol::) which has to go hand in hand with the suggestion that nanos should have their own category. There's enough dumbing down in the World nowadays without pandering to people who can't read size guidelines!

Caches hidden in skanky alleyways and lay-bys for no other reason than, well, I can't think of any good reason. :)

Series' with caches hidden every 200 metres just to up the numbers. I know they're few and far between - but sometimes - just sometimes - a cache is hidden in such a nice spot that you shouldn't need to bribe people with a few extra smileys to get them to do the walk! :P

Edited by keehotee

Nearby windows overlooking cache site .

Bovines in field on route to cache .

Ivy .

Ammo cans. (says Mrs T.A because she can't open most of them)

Our D.N.F.'s (always logged) on caches that everyone else , before and after, logs as "easy find ".

Can identify wth all those, especially the ammo cans.

Most cachers say "wonderful, an ammo can, this is what it's all about"

I say "Oh no not another blasted ammo can"

- they usually take me ages to open, involving an impersonation of Popeye and lots of torn fingernails and cuts on my hands - but even worse is trying to shut the things - they usually go with a big bang which alerts all the muggles from 10 miles around and my decoy dog promptly bolts 'cos he's scared of gunshots, fireworks and any other sort of big bangs. ;)

People who insist on 'Grabbing' a TB that you placed either earlier that day or while on holiday but before you have a chance to log. Not everyone has an iPhone or Wi-fi.

Give people a chance to log, maybe even email to ask them to drop it before you just grab. Solution? I just grab them back and send them an email. TB is then correct and they get a little message.

Standing and GZ, looking around, and wondering why on earth the cache owner thought this was somewhere I'd be interested in visiting. Happens more and more often, sadly.

Micros in the woods with no clues and iffy-at-best co-ords.

How solly always seems to pick the correct side of the whatever to check when we're caching together.

Caches in wet, slime-covered plastic or camouflage bags. A box with a proper seal and good cover is all that's needed!

Vague puzzles or multis where there's more than one way of answering the questions and thus several possible GZs to try to visit and check.

Grumpy emails from people telling me my co-ords are 300ft out, when no one else suggests a problem in their logs. To me, that might suggest it was I doing something wrong (always a Datum issue) rather than the cache setter...

A clue which makes even less sense when you find the cache by sheer persistence than it did before you found it.

Puzzles listed as multis - if it's a self contained cache, that's a multi. If you have to find other loggable caches and get info from them, that's a puzzle.

On a similar note, anything that's not a trad listed as a trad- I don't always have the cache page to read and discover the given co-ords are for parking and there are instructions to then follow.

The price of petrol.

Blocked byways which are legally open all year round.

Aggressive animals (dogs, cattle, horses) on public footpaths or bridleways.

Cyclists who don't announce their approach.

Nettles, brambles and hawthorn; I've lost more blood caching than I've ever given to the NHS.

Cachers critical of others' hides who've never hidden a cache; it's not as easy as it looks and contributing to geocaching doesn't begin and end at being a premium member...

Dog poop, obviously.

Cache vandals and raiders; the contents of caches aren't always freebies to be 'took books, left TB'd - Or 'took 300Gb hard drive, left pen' as one shameless person did.

35mm micros which are hidden where they've no change of staying dry; mushy logs are not ideal!

The pen which dies half way around a long series when I don't have a back-up with me.

Micro calling cards in micro caches. Only useful as 'spore' to help me find a cache when they've fallen out and onto the ground.

I could go on but I see I already have :)

Edited by Simply Paul
Cyclists who don't announce their approach.

Now that is one thing I hate more than anything else! :)

The other day I was walking along the prom not hearing a cyclist behind me and I happend to step in their path!

The cyclist had to stop dead to avoid hitting me but then started using real bad language at me.

Well ...... I saw red!

I grabbed his handle bars and pointed to his bell while shouting: Do you know what this is for ... do you?

I think I scared him to death! :D:D

I'm just waiting for someone to post about what their pet hates when caching...

MrsB :)

Ooh, that's a good one Mrs B.

I just asked Zeus and he said:

"woof woof woof, woof, growl growl, woof woof woof. Woof yelp woof woof woof growl, woof woof woof."

Typing that into Google translator:

"Having to sit and wait for you lot to open a stupid box and sign a silly bit of paper when there's a huge open moor to run about on"

Hang on, there's more:

Growl growl woof woof woof growl woof. Woof woof woof woof growl growl grrrrr woof"

He says:

"Having to be put on my lead just because there are sheep around. Don't people realise I used to live on a farm and sheep are of no interest to me and I wouldn't waste my time worrying them"

So there you have it. Straight from the dog's mouth.

Puzzles listed as multis - if it's a self contained cache, that's a multi. If you have to find other loggable caches and get info from them, that's a puzzle.

I asked this question a while ago - if I was to set a series with the final being something you have to grab coordinates from each cache, I was told it was a multi. If there are additional things (like doing a search on the interweb) then it becomes a puzzle.

Unless I've been told wrong....

If you read the guidelines of a Multi-Cache, it says

There are many variations to multi-stage caches. The most common is that in which the first container or waypoint contains or provides coordinates to the next location.

in this case, surely finding 10 containers (even if they are individually logged as 10 individual traditionals) is covered in that wording?

I agree it is not clear in the guidelines, but I believe the intent is that for a multi-cache, the stages need to be part of that cache.

So if you have 6 containers, each containing partial coordinates, and those containers are listed as waypoints of the single multi-cache, than that is a multi cache.

If you take the above example, but require the finder to do something more complex than simple maths to determine the coordinates - either in advance or in the field - then it is a puzzle.

If you hide 6 traditional caches, and then a 7th cache where the 7th requires information from the 6 Traditionals, the 7th is a puzzle/mystery cache - as the information you need is not part of that "7th cache" itself.

Hopefully that makes some sense!

Mark

If you hide 6 traditional caches, and then a 7th cache where the 7th requires information from the 6 Traditionals, the 7th is a puzzle/mystery cache - as the information you need is not part of that "7th cache" itself.

Mark

Not sure about that... I have a series of 8 caches, all can be logged in their own right but they have to be found in sequence. The first is listed as a traditional as the co-ordinates quoted give the location of the box. That box contains the location of the second cache. The second cache contains the location of the third and so on. The second and all subsequent caches in the series are listed as 'multi-caches'; the quoted co-ordinates for them being a parking place suitable for the whole series [the same quoted co-ordinates for all 7 subsequent caches]. They were listed as multi-caches on the advice of the reviewer at the time.

Mark

Not sure about that... I have a series of 8 caches, all can be logged in their own right but they have to be found in sequence. The first is listed as a traditional as the co-ordinates quoted give the location of the box. That box contains the location of the second cache. The second cache contains the location of the third and so on. The second and all subsequent caches in the series are listed as 'multi-caches'; the quoted co-ordinates for them being a parking place suitable for the whole series [the same quoted co-ordinates for all 7 subsequent caches]. They were listed as multi-caches on the advice of the reviewer at the time.

That is interesting; I've not come across a set of caches like that yet. The common example I've seen is a group of traditional caches, and a "bonus" cache which requires information from one or more of the group of traditionals. In this case they do not need to be done in order, and I've always seen the "bonus" listed as a puzzle/mystery cache, never as a multi.

Your example is different as they need to be done in order. Maybe that makes the difference.

Mark

Yes, I agree. The additional caches cannot be found as "standalone" caches so they are multis.

I think we're all agreeing on this....

I'm with Mark too - if you have 6 trade caches and a bonus, the bonus is simply a multi.

I'm hoping that Paul will pop back on and explain a little more.....

Mark

Sounds right. All but the first would be offsets - with the previous cache marked as an additional waypoint, I presume?

Mark

Sounds right. All but the first would be offsets - with the previous cache marked as an additional waypoint, I presume?

Nope.... If I listed the co-ordinates of the previous cache it would give away that caches location and there would be no need to find the cache before that one in the series. The cache page does state that the co-ordinates for this cache are in the previous cache in the series. You have to start with the first cache and work your way forward. :angry:

Anything with ivy involved is my biggest pet hate. I also dislike posting a DNF, then reading the next log from an incredibly smug cacher saying don't understand why this cache was a problem for previous loggers, we found straight away blah, blah blah. We all have off days when the obvious isn't so obvious, by all means log your find and feel pleased with yourselves but please don't rub my nose in it.

I have now decided my pet hate is caches with no parking coordinates where there isn't an obvious parking spot to be seen on a map, or worse, the text of the cache says ' park in X village' only for you to find very narrow roads and the only place to park being a car park being for a pub or similar which is fine if you have time to visit the pub, but when caching with children is often not practical.

Must admit, finding the parking is part of the fun for us, even if it involves a 5 or 10 miute walk along a lane to the footpath.

One of my pet hates, lately, is the INSTRUCTIONS 'sorry hint'.

ie: stand at gate, take three side steps, look down at your feet and it is under the stone marked with a black dot.

It's meant to be a hint not a detailed instruction guide.

Yes, I agree. The additional caches cannot be found as "standalone" caches so they are multis.

I think we're all agreeing on this....

I'm with Mark too - if you have 6 trade caches and a bonus, the bonus is simply a multi.

No. Currently, if additional caches cannot be found as "standalone" caches they are Mystery/Unknowns/Puzzles

The cache listing for a Multi should contain all the information/instructions required to find the final cache

If you have to find other caches first then it becomes an Unknown.

This guideline was tightened up about 18 months ago

There are a few examples of bonus caches which have the co-ordinates of the prerequisite Trads listed as additional waypoints so could have been listed as a Multi <_<

Mark

No. Currently, if additional caches cannot be found as "standalone" caches they are Mystery/Unknowns/Puzzles

The cache listing for a Multi should contain all the information/instructions required to find the final cache

If you have to find other caches first then it becomes an Unknown.

This guideline was tightened up about 18 months ago

There are a few examples of bonus caches which have the co-ordinates of the prerequisite Trads listed as additional waypoints so could have been listed as a Multi <_<

Mark

I agree. In our experience a multi is a cache that can be found on it's own, in isolation of other caches, but requires visiting one or more different locations or waypoints before getting to the final hide. Those locations may just contain information or they may contain a physical container holding further directions to the final hide.

A cache that requires getting information from inside other loggable caches (that have their own GC number) becomes a 'mystery'.

To my mind it's not a multi because you can't load it into your GPS and go and find it as a single cache.

Having said that, i'm only basing this view on the caches we have found and the way they have been structured. And sadly nearly all our finds have been in one part of the country. So it's possible things have been done differently in different parts of the country.

There is only one 'bonus' cache that we have found that is listed as a 'multi', and that's the (rather excellent) King Arthur - Man or Myth series.

It stands out in my mind because (apart from being a good little series with some interesting locations) I remember thinking it unusual for the bonus to be listed as a multi. I have not seen that before or since (from memory).

In that case it didn't matter whether it was listed as multi or mystery as the bonus cache page spells out in fine detail what you have to do to find the bonus (i.e find the other 5 trads and 1 multi caches in the series).

It's interesting to read other people's views and arguments on this subject and I can see some of the logic for a bonus cache being a multi. Something I had not thought of before.

But I still think a bonus to a series where you have to find other loggable caches in the series is a mystery not a multi :rolleyes:

Long clues...............

With your back to the road take four strides from the bush that is under the largest tree to the right, here you will find an old fence, the cache is a regular sized tupperware box with the usual swaps, notebook and pencil hidden below one of its posts the one that is slightly leaning towards the field with the lichen on top, at its base is a pile of stones and the cache is under the red flat sandstone. Please watch your footing over the rough grass and please make sure you cover it really well.

so 'post' then?

Must admit that I often refer to Kate (as in moss) and to Mick or Keith (as in stones) as I like to keep the hint a little cryptic and not a downright pointer.

Don't do latin or plant names though.

I had a few clues like that, but then I started thinking how I'd like a clue that I didn't get (one of mine was 'kunta kinte' for example) or that required google in the field to solve..

I subsequently dropped all ambiguous hints and replaced them with simple ones.

After all, a hint is there for you to help find the box, not to add to frustration.

After all, a hint is there for you to help find the box, not to add to frustration.

Agreed!

A cache should be hidden well enough to prevent it being discovered accidentally and a hint added to help the cacher find it without destroying the area or drawing attention.

Similarly, when a cache says 'Stealth Required' but has no hint it does not deserve stealth! <_<

Mark

Must admit that I often refer to Kate (as in moss) and to Mick or Keith (as in stones) as I like to keep the hint a little cryptic and not a downright pointer.

Don't do latin or plant names though.

Now I do enjoy working out a little cryptic clue or guessing what the cache could possibly be/where it is hid - BUT - remember we do get foreign visitors who won't have a clue (pun intended!). <_<

Now I do enjoy working out a little cryptic clue or guessing what the cache could possibly be/where it is hid - BUT - remember we do get foreign visitors who won't have a clue (pun intended!). :rolleyes:

Clue on one we did :

"J.R.Hartley would be disappointed."

Now, I am import so I have no idea what that means, luckily my other half is English and we got the cache.

But it kinda proves the point, the clue shouldn't be tricky or clever, only the hide should be.

Now to get the thread back on track :

cows

spaces where you could hide an elephant but find a micro

throw down replacements.

and many more already mentioned here <_<

Clues again .............

Latin phrases/plant names

mentioning a song or pop group

ones needing a french phrase book

Reminds me of one we did a few weeks back. Both of us wandering around for 5 minutes to no avail.

Tinker has the Garmin so looks at the clue and reads it out: "Trent".

Ok, we're in a churchyard so we start looking round for a gravestone belonging to someone called Trent.

I keep saying the word to myself but couldn't match the clue to anything in the vicinity.

(Bet everyone knows where this is going)

Tinker finally looks at the clue again and spells it out across the churchyard: T R E N T E

Doh. French for thirty, of course. And there was a 30mph sign in the hedge next to the church yard. (Which I had already looked at once but couldn't see anything <_< )

Had a closer inspection and found the magnetic blighter. What a difference an 'E' makes.

That was a good hint, just a little bit cryptic.

This has now become my #1 pet hate.

Planning a 3 day trip to an area I've been to before, but want to tidy up the area of those not

showing as a :) on GC.com's Google map.

PQ's sent to mobile device.

Cache codes written down so I know the exact route for my day out.

Arrive at GZ.

Strange half of those I have planned are not on my gps device. <_<

After much scratching of head.....bingo!

The GC.com Google map DID NOT show some of my previous finds as :lol: 's WTF!!!

That my friends is unacceptable for a site we pay money to!!!!!!

Luckily I was able to move on to another area I had previously not cached in.

Thanks GC.com, but no thanks. :rolleyes:

Caches that say stealth is required but are hidden in a way that makes it all but impossible unless you're over 8 feet tall or have unfeasibly long arms.

Caches that are badly misrated - I did one rated as terrain 1 that proved to be about 12 feet off the ground up a lamp post. I had to fully extend my walking pole, jump in the air and swing it to dislodge the cache. Then came the next interesting challenge - Putting The Cache Back. It only took six goes...

Caches that are badly misrated

Likewise caches rated as 5* terrain which aren't!

I've only done 1 which actually required special equipment

5/5s are sooo cliché!

How about more 4.5/4 or 4.5/3.5 etc caches to make it easier to fill the D/T Grid... :rolleyes:

I'd have to put those on my "pet loves" list, at least until I've lost enough weight to have a sporting chance of doing something that really does deserve the 5* rating <_<

Caches that are badly misrated

Likewise caches rated as 5* terrain which aren't!

I've only done 1 which actually required special equipment

5/5s are sooo cliché!

How about more 4.5/4 or 4.5/3.5 etc caches to make it easier to fill the D/T Grid... :rolleyes:

Mark

Couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately some people still think traditional caches that require torches and wellies - or walking up a big hill - make for a 5/5!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr <_<

to me that's a bad hint, my other half would be stumped without me there :S

Not so cool if you are in the area for the day only like..

We were there one day only - last couple of caches in Suffolk before heading back to Cornwall.

It would not have been the end of the world if we hadn't understood the hint and could not find the cache, we don't have to find them all.

Once we did work out the hint and it pointed clearly to the 30mph sign it was not only a 'doh' moment but also a 'why didn't I look more carefully there the first time then we wouldn't have widened our search into the churchyard' moment.

To be honest we shouldn't have needed the hint on that one if we had looked properly in the most obvious place when we arrived at GZ and our GPS was taking us to the road sign. <_<