Pet hates when caching?

Dogs off the lead on muddy footpaths. They head straight for me and insist on plastering mud all over my trousers or higher if they can reach. When I remonstrate with the owner and ask for their name and address so I know where to send the laundry/repair bill they get all 'huffy' and tell me I'm "not a nice man". Dam* right I'm not!

Dogs off the lead on muddy footpaths. They head straight for me and insist on plastering mud all over my trousers or higher if they can reach. When I remonstrate with the owner and ask for their name and address so I know where to send the laundry/repair bill they get all 'huffy' and tell me I'm "not a nice man". Dam* right I'm not!

You mean you can walk down a muddy footpath and if not accosted by a dog your trousers do not need cleaning when you get home ? :)

I only have to climb out of the van on a wet day and I've got mud half way up my trousers. If that doesn't do it then walking behind someone gets it splattered half way up the thigh as it flicks off their boots.

If we come home with clean trousers we've been doing too many C&D's B)

The cache is a nano, when there's space for fifty ammoboxes.

+1 (unless the nanos/micros are out-of-the-ordinary containers/disguises that are relevant to the cache theme)

Plus "teepee" hides. We spotted one cache from well over 50ft away, simply because it looked like a beaver had built its home around it. When we rehid the cache without the extra adornments, it became a much more elegant hide once more and was actually far better concealed from cachers and muggles alike.

Not finding a cache that the world and his dog finds in 2 seconds B)

Getting home and finding that your DNF is because the cache page has changed and you haven't bothered to read it :)

In a great location. many more caches to be found but you have promised to be back home and are already running late :)

After a good morning's walk finding no bacon butty van where one should be :)

rain B) I hate rain....

You're really not committed are you? :):)

Saying that, Snow causes muchness problems.

As for the nanos mentioned above: I've just started a project to convert as many of my nanos and 35mm film pots as possible to proper tupperware (Ammo cans where necessary). I think we should all consider whether we could all do the same?

in fact, I'm going to start a topic :)

The cache is a nano, when there's space for fifty ammoboxes.

Clues such as "Too easy" or "No hint".

I'd tend to agree with these - if you don't want to give a hint then don't, but it was always annoying to spend the time decoding the hint to find there is no hint.

It does irritate me when I hunt for something for ages only to give up and DNF it only to find it was practically under my nose. What's most irritating of all is that those are down to my own failures rather than anybody else's.

Setting off on a nice long walk, only to find out a little way in when you reach into your backpack that you have left the gps at home, or that your gps has run out of batteries and you haven't packed spares, or you have left the piece of paper with co-ords noted down on at home.

Have embarrassingly done all the above. *wonders what I will forget to bring with me next time*

rain :unsure: I hate rain....

I love the rain.

You never feel more alive than when you're out walking/caching in the wind and rain (as long as you're wrapped up of course!)

As a proud Mancunian :D living in Satans land , my YorkshireCaching profile proudly displays ' is it raining outside'

Ivy, every time. Especially when the hint is 'ivy' and the area is covered in the stuff. Ensure it is in a heavily muggled area and you have the full set!

Couldn't agree more. Vil is evil. So is gorse. So are hides in areas of great rubbish. So are hides where the hider hasn't given thought to changing conditions during the year... Mucho no-no at hiding in any of these.

:unsure:

Getting home and logging a series, only to find that I've stupidly missed one out because I didn't see the flag on my PDA

Picking my way along a track that's been totally churned up by horses into deep mud, and then reaching a narrow part of the track where the horse has kindly made it's own generously sized and well-spread-about contribution which cannot be avoided.

Stepping into a ditch, only to find that what looked like a solid base, is actually several inches of soft and yielding mud.

Discovering, after a 90 minute drive, that I've left my boots at home, and will have to do the series in inferior footwear.

Getting a serious and irreparable puncture when approximately half way round a loop.

DNFing a cache after an hour's search, and finding that the next day someone posted "Easy find, now I'm going to attempt my second cache, maybe I'll even buy a GPS"

Getting to within 20 yards of a cache, and then discovering that while I'm at the bottom of a cliff, the cache is at the top.

After a lengthy hunt, finding a likely-looking bag containing a likely-looking sized object, only to discover on further checking that it's yet another dog poo bag.

Plunging my hand into the middle of a tree, in the middle of Oxford, groping around, and triumphantly bringing out a well-wrapped object, that turns out to be a used disposable nappy.

Falling over.

Falling off my bike.

Falling into a river.

Seeing ladysolly fall over, and being too far away to help.

Boisterous unleaded dogs whose owners assure me that they won't hurt me. "Good, then I won't have to hurt him."

Muggles who appear from nowhere just as I emerge from a bush with a big grin on my face.

And ... of course ... nettles.

Getting home and logging a series, only to find that I've stupidly missed one out because I didn't see the flag on my PDA

Picking my way along a track that's been totally churned up by horses into deep mud, and then reaching a narrow part of the track where the horse has kindly made it's own generously sized and well-spread-about contribution which cannot be avoided.

Stepping into a ditch, only to find that what looked like a solid base, is actually several inches of soft and yielding mud.

Discovering, after a 90 minute drive, that I've left my boots at home, and will have to do the series in inferior footwear.

Getting a serious and irreparable puncture when approximately half way round a loop.

DNFing a cache after an hour's search, and finding that the next day someone posted "Easy find, now I'm going to attempt my second cache, maybe I'll even buy a GPS"

Getting to within 20 yards of a cache, and then discovering that while I'm at the bottom of a cliff, the cache is at the top.

After a lengthy hunt, finding a likely-looking bag containing a likely-looking sized object, only to discover on further checking that it's yet another dog poo bag.

Plunging my hand into the middle of a tree, in the middle of Oxford, groping around, and triumphantly bringing out a well-wrapped object, that turns out to be a used disposable nappy.

Falling over.

Falling off my bike.

Falling into a river.

Seeing ladysolly fall over, and being too far away to help.

Boisterous unleaded dogs whose owners assure me that they won't hurt me. "Good, then I won't have to hurt him."

Muggles who appear from nowhere just as I emerge from a bush with a big grin on my face.

And ... of course ... nettles.

With all those caching pet hates, I bet you haven't managed to find many......... :unsure:

What really narks me is finding bags of dog sh1t near the cache.. Why can't the owners take them to the nearest bin?

Rant over!!

Happy xmas, new year, Easter, birthday!!

Why do dog-walkers put it in a bag in the first place? If "dumped" on the earth, at least nature can take its course. How do they expect the deposit to biodegrade if it is sealed in a knotted plastic bag? That's the worst possible outcome....

Why do dog-walkers put it in a bag in the first place? If "dumped" on the earth, at least nature can take its course. How do they expect the deposit to biodegrade if it is sealed in a knotted plastic bag? That's the worst possible outcome....

Because if your dog is seen pooing anywhere and you don't clean it up, people shout at you. In most cases, rightly so. In some cases, unnecessarily (in my opinion).

However, having cleaned it up you need to bag it. But the idea is you take it to a bin or take it home, not leave it hanging in a blinkin' tree.

Having said that, we did leave a bag in a forest. Once. About quarter mile into a circular walk, dog did a do do. Cleaned it up into a bag but didn't want to carry the smelly bag around with us for the next 2 hours. Knowing we would be coming back that way we popped it under a log and waymarked it.

Trouble is, after 2 hours and being quite tired we forgot all about the do do until we were pulling into the car park back home.

Sorry about that to anyone who happened to come upon it.

Now, one of the team carry a Poo bag holder (available from all good pet shops) which means you can keep your bags in it, and then pop the full ones in and clip it to your backpack - no smelly and unsightly bags to carry in the open all day.

But I do think some people believe the idea of the bags is to put the poo in then leave them on the ground. But then some people are silly. Or forgetful :unsure: .

My pet hate: Not being able to find anywhere to leave the van within a mile of the start of a footpath leading to a really interesting looking cache and having to drive around for ages doing 3 point turns on country lanes until we find a space at the side of the road.

To then walk the footpath to find at the other end is a car park.

Edited by Lovejoy and Tinker
My pet hate: Not being able to find anywhere to leave the van within a mile of the start of a footpath leading to a really interesting looking cache and having to drive around for ages doing 3 point turns on country lanes until we find a space at the side of the road.

To then walk the footpath to find at the other end is a car park.

Ha, I found one cache which involved carrying the bike over all sorts of fallen trees for the last 150 feet or so - I couldn't see any obvious place to lock it on the basis I didn't have my cable with me and my D-lock wasn't big enough to go round the bike and a tree. So I battled through the undergrowth lifting the bike over all sorts of stuff, found the cache, and then found a cyclepath running within 20 feet of the cache.

Looking on the bright side, it was easier to get out than it was to get in.

What really narks me is finding bags of dog sh1t near the cache.. Why can't the owners take them to the nearest bin?

Rant over!!

Mr aliandtone is a park ranger and often has to cut back bushes with a strimmer alongside footpaths. He says that often they are in the middle of a walking/cutting and one of these bags comes flying out of nowhere and gets ripped to shreds!

There was a women who very often went around leaving the bags tied to the trees. He saw her one day get back into her car and drove off. Next time she visited shereturned to her car to find the bags tied to her wing mirror. She has never left any since!

Caches in gorse bushes

Micros in ivy

Caches that make you wonder why someone thought I'd love to visit a rubbish strewn lay-by..

Inquisitive cows

Uncontrolled dogs with big pointy teeth.

Unhelpful clues "At the base of a tree" - when the cache is in a forest and so on (Says the man who uses "Under a rock" as a clue most of the time)

Caches that appear to be on Private property and you're not quite sure if you should be there...

ahh and caches on the edge of 300 foot cliff with no fence....

Can we have a things we love about caches thread as well?