Circular routes in Cornwall

jonsambatt

Hi

We have booked a 4 day mini holiday in Cornwall in December and would like to get in a few caches whilst we are there. We are staying near Liskeard and are looking for walks within a 30 mile radius.

Can anyone suggest a good circular route about 5 miles or shorter with quite a few caches on the way, that we should try whilst we are there?

Many thanks

JONSAMBATT

Hi

We have booked a 4 day mini holiday in Cornwall in December and would like to get in a few caches whilst we are there. We are staying near Liskeard and are looking for walks within a 30 mile radius.

Can anyone suggest a good circular route about 5 miles or shorter with quite a few caches on the way, that we should try whilst we are there?

Many thanks

JONSAMBATT

Hi Jonsambatt,

Good choice of holiday destination B)

There are so many round here it is difficult to know where to start. I am sure others will come up with many suggestions but here are mine - our favourites:

Minions (Caradon Hill) - There are lots and lots of caches up here including a great series called "Caradon Challenge" and another called "Stash or Cache" and another called "Cheesewring Challenge" which has some fun cache containers.

While doing those there are lots of other single caches, and it's fairly straight forward to work out a circular walk around any/some/all of them

All well worth doing, and we have spent 3 full days up there finding all there are to find.

There's also some fairly evil puzzles based up there if you want some homework before you set off.

Then there are Birdies Rocky Horror series if you fancy a bit of a challenge. Spread throughout the Minions, Sharp Tor, Berah Tor, Kilmay Tor and Hawks Tor, they provide some great walks in stunning scenery.

And don't miss Vodor & Scorsby's night cache "North Hill by Night" - takes an hour maximum and there's a great pub called The Racehorse in North Hill where you can have a pint and some good food to settle your nerves.

I could go on but won't as I am sure others will have suggestions. But these are my favourite ones in the Liskeard area.

Particually looking forward to "North Hill by Night as any route with a pub at the end is a winner to us!! B)

Yep, don't miss that one. In December you will probably be able to do it any time after 3pm!

I would perhaps take a look at one of the Tors (Hawk's Tor (3 caches including the huge cache that is the Award Winning 130), Kilmar Tor (3 including the hamster cache) or Trewortha Tor (2) and aim to finish those by about 4pm by which time it will be dark enough to do the night cache. The parking area is the same for all of them. Then head for the village of North Hill to find the pub.

A great afternoon/evening out. In my opinion.

Sorry, my last offering, honest, don't want to take over things but....

If you want a break from caching and the dog loves the sea, then the beach at Seaton is excellent. Dog friendly all year round and providing the tide is fairly low it's a good long walk along the beach and back. Ideal for blowing the cobwebs away on a fresh winter day.

Pub? Accessible from the beach at Downderry. Food a bit pricey but nice stopping point before making the walk back to Seaton.

You'll need more than 4 days with all this caching to fit in !!

We have done a lot of caching with Lovejoy & Tinker and as we both have dogs they always accompany us so all of his suggestions are definitely ok for the hounds.

Little bit further out but would suggest you have look at the Chimney Rock Ramble series by Finn&Rosie. GC13FRR Just remember your wellies and a torch !! B)

Well I'm based in Liskeard.... but all the good series seem to have been suggested.

My Bookmark list needs updating - I'll have a look at it this week.

I'd go with L&J and suggest you do the three on Kilmar Tor or the 3 on Hawks Tor (rougher terrain than Kilmar though)

If you give me a shout and let me know when you'll be down I'll see if I can arrange an evening event in the pub.

Have fun!

...and we couldn't even get there from 10 miles away :laughing:

Sorry we missed the event, soundls like it was well attended and good fun. But Zeus dog comes first at the moment and we're not able to go out caching either while he's poorly.

Perhaps we need one of those little trailers for him that you see people taking their kids for bike rides with on the camel trail.